The Student Room Group

What do you think should be done about disruptive students in lessons?

Scroll to see replies

They need to be gassed
Original post by Emaemmaemily

Opinions are subjective, you can't prove it to be 100% right.

I don't know what the limit should be exactly, but definitely more in my opinion. But hey, let's not go round in circles.

Schools are reluctant to remove children from classrooms. Giving them help won't solve the problem, rather excluding them from the classroom does. It is currently hard to exclude a pupil hard out of the classroom - but I believe measures should be taken so it is easier for teachers to exclude disruptive brats outside the classroom.

http://www.dag.gb.com/documents/ConservativeEducationPriorities.pdf

My opinion - backed up.

:rolleyes: >3 = too many chances. It's called persistent behaviour. If you were a teacher, I know 100% the students would taken advantage out of your leniency.
That programme that was on recently where the kids got sent to some progressive school.
Original post by im so academic
Schools are reluctant to remove children from classrooms. Giving them help won't solve the problem, rather excluding them from the classroom does. It is currently hard to exclude a pupil hard out of the classroom - but I believe measures should be taken so it is easier for teachers to exclude disruptive brats outside the classroom.

http://www.dag.gb.com/documents/ConservativeEducationPriorities.pdf

My opinion - backed up.

:rolleyes: >3 = too many chances. It's called persistent behaviour. If you were a teacher, I know 100% the students would taken advantage out of your leniency.

You've gone back a step, we already discussed that.
That's someone else sharing your opinion... Tories. That doesn't prove your opinion to be right, because I could find something similar with someone else who shares MY opinion, and we could go on forever.

I wouldn't be a lenient teacher. I would, as I've been discussing, send any child disrupting out of the classroom. It is then up to the appropriate people to sort them out in the appropriate way.
Or they could resent it. E.g. not everyone who attends a top private school is "passionate about learning". Likewise you could be a **** school yet still want to learn.

Yes, but that would be due to some other environmental factor; such as uninterested parents with money (or vice versa). The point is you can’t blame children for not wanting to learn, it’s their upbringing. So we should be addressing the cause of this and giving people alternate options. Not just disregarding them as ‘troublemakers’ and expelling from help of any kind.
You've gone back a step, we already discussed that.
That's someone else sharing your opinion... Tories. That doesn't prove your opinion to be right, because I could find something similar with someone else who shares MY opinion, and we could go on forever.

I wouldn't be a lenient teacher. I would, as I've been discussing, send any child disrupting out of the classroom. It is then up to the appropriate people to sort them out in the appropriate way.

You are contradicting yourself in many ways:

"Any child who disrupts would be out of the classroom" compared with "3 chances are not enough".

Wth?
Original post by IFondledAGibbon

Original post by IFondledAGibbon
Yes, but that would be due to some other environmental factor; such as uninterested parents with money (or vice versa). The point is you can’t blame children for not wanting to learn, it’s their upbringing. So we should be addressing the cause of this and giving people alternate options. Not just disregarding them as ‘troublemakers’ and expelling from help of any kind.

If they are harming other people's education in the process - expel them. We shouldn't tolerate those brats.
You are contradicting yourself in many ways:

"Any child who disrupts would be out of the classroom" compared with "3 chances are not enough".

Wth?

This just shows that you haven't read my points at all.
Yes, you send them out of the classroom... then someone else deals with them, both in a diciplinary way, and in a way that helps them change if necessary. After this they will be allowed back in to behave. If they begin to misbehave again, they will be sent out again.
This causes next to no disruption of the other children's education.

This just shows that you haven't read my points at all.
Yes, you send them out of the classroom... then someone else deals with them, both in a diciplinary way, and in a way that helps them change if necessary. After this they will be allowed back in to behave. If they begin to misbehave again, they will be sent out again.
This causes next to no disruption of the other children's education.

They refuse to get out of the classroom? Disruption ensues.
They refuse to get out of the classroom? Disruption ensues.

This doesn't happen often, and threatening them with something they will hate usually gets them to move fast. It's quite easy.

This doesn't happen often, and threatening them with something they will hate usually gets them to move fast. It's quite easy.

:lolwut: You do not even know the reality of the British education system.

Your ignorance sickens me.
:lolwut: You do not even know the reality of the British education system.

Your ignorance sickens me.

Yes I do. I work part time as a TA, I see it happen all of the time.
Stop assumiong you're the only one who's experiences count for anything.
If they are harming other people's education in the process - expel them. We shouldn't tolerate those brats.

And what? Let them fend for themselves, drive them to steal and sell drugs? How about providing alternative options for these people who don't want formal education? Giving people the freedom (as much freedom as you can get in a capitalist state) to choose their own path. A path that will produce productive members of society.

It’s quite sickening that you would banish people from help just because they don’t conform to your perception of ‘how people should act’.
Reply 433
The only issue with this is what happens when its more than just one kid messing about? You can hardly send half a class outside. I think the best way to deal with it in the long term is to make class sizes smaller, from 30 to 20 instead.

A lot of the time kids mess around because they either don't understand it or aren't interested in the subject. I think a good way to help these kids would be to seperate them into more practical/career based subjects and maintain the core subjects of maths, English and Science.
Original post by SophiaKeuning
Nothing should be done! You have to learn to deal with people, to not expect everything to be perfect and sterile. :h:

What I'm saying is, nothing further should be done. People who really do have detrimental impact on students education are punished. You'll just have to learn to deal with those who are merely annoying because they chat and may be inclined to pissing about. :u:

My future should be hindered by some inbred jackass who can't sit still because of incompetent parents who should have been made sterile?
How the **** is that going to help anyone ?

With that wet liberal attitude, people are just going to **** you over in life.
Original post by Reml
Expulsion - no need to educate people who don't want to be, its a waste of time and is detrimental to others learning

Yes I am. Education is about yourself. You are given an education; use it. Why the **** should society respect them if they don't respect society?

Pay for their education, then kick them out of school -> Pay for their benfits instead.
They dont magically disappear.. Your just setting the precedence for the rest of their lives. poverty.

Your choice. Out of sight, out of mind?
The system will never work, there is no final solution :rolleyes:
(edited 13 years ago)
Train teachers to deal with them or toughen up disciplinary procedures which aim to rehabilitate those pupils. That's the most an education establishment can do.

A change in their home environment is the only real thing that can change the conduct of these disruptive pupils. But that will cost money. And there are a range of factors which may cause children to be disruptive (some which seem to be overlooked), so really you can't truly ever stop them.
The idea that those pupils should be chucked out, no questions asked, just represents the elitist value system by those who propone that idea.

So if you can't eliminate disruptive pupils, more opportunities should be given to the dedicated pupils such as the availability of homework clubs.

Just permanently excluding disruptive pupils will only generate controversy, especially if the majority of those pupils happen to come from the lower socio-economic groups; the elitist thinking that we should chuck out the 'weak' - disruptive - pupils whom hold back progress would doubtlessly generate that controversy.

So I'd side with more opportunities for brighter children, especially since tougher school disciplinary systems will hardly do anything for schools or colleges in 'bad areas'.
Original post by Baula
You can hardly send half a class outside.

my french teacher did this once :')
she told everyone to get out if they hadnt done their homework, i think there was maximum of 5 people left IN the room. our year head happened to walk past at that moment in time, and asked why we were all stood outside.
pretty classic really!

but it doesnt work...
Original post by Knowledgemofo
Train teachers to deal with them or toughen up disciplinary procedures which aim to rehabilitate those pupils. That's the most an education establishment can do.

A change in their home environment is the only real thing that can change the conduct of these disruptive pupils. But that will cost money. And there are a range of factors which may cause children to be disruptive (some which seem to be overlooked), so really you can't truly ever stop them.
The idea that those pupils should be chucked out, no questions asked, just represents the elitist value system by those who propone that idea.

So if you can't eliminate disruptive pupils, more opportunities should be given to the dedicated pupils such as the availability of homework clubs.

Just permanently excluding disruptive pupils will only generate controversy, especially if the majority of those pupils happen to come from the lower socio-economic groups; the elitist thinking that we should chuck out the 'weak' - disruptive - pupils whom hold back progress would doubtlessly generate that controversy.

So I'd side with more opportunities for brighter children, especially since tougher school disciplinary systems will hardly do anything for schools or colleges in 'bad areas'.

^^ My point exactly :smile:
Original post by Jimbo1234
My future should be hindered by some inbred jackass who can't sit still because of incompetent parents who should have been made sterile?
How the **** is that going to help anyone ?

With that wet liberal attitude, people are just going to **** you over in life.

No. It's more wet to think 'woe to me, some kids are chatting and I CANT LEARN!', it's pathetic if you suffer because some kids are talking (and that's all they'd be doing; the real distruptive kids are dealt with. ) Wake up, that's real life. Not all sunshine and loveliness, you can't remove everything you dislike. Little goes your way, deal with it. People on this forum are so conservative, it's hilarious. You act like some stern backward school master from a Dickens novel.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending