The Student Room Group

What do you think should be done about disruptive students in lessons?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EggmanD
SIGH..

this is the third damn post like this..

WE ARE TALKING ABOUT CHILDREN. Changing the scenario holds no weight in a mature debate so either address the points i raised or stfu please.

You're the one making pointless comments; you say that just because something is a natural reaction it is justified-wtf
Original post by Emaemmaemily
You don't listen at all.
I clearly have never said to dismiss the behaviour, I've been saying to DEAL with it!
And you know the answer to your question, because I've answered it a million times. You sound like a broken record. I answer your question, you ask it again.

How can you deal with a child that cares more about getting laughs than an education?
Original post by PendulumBoB
How can you deal with a child that cares more about getting laughs than an education?

Dicipline, dicipline, and possibly some help if required
Children are children, they're not going to grow up without some help.
Dicipline, dicipline, and possibly some help if required
Children are children, they're not going to grow up without some help.

How can you force someone to learn; if they don't want to be in school, then don't make them.
How can you force someone to learn; if they don't want to be in school, then don't make them.

Easily if you do it properly :/ How do you not get this?
They don't want to be in school because they're children and they don't understand the importance of it... More likely than not because of how their parents are. That's not their fault.
It's the school's responsibility to make them understand the importance of it all and want to learn. Obvously you come to a point that you should give up because it's a waste of time, but they should try first.

I don't know why you insist on going around in circles.
Reply 666

There are far more extensions of bordom than just 'getting laughs'

Theres no point forcing a child to do something they dont want to do over a reasonable level.

for example.. i have never used advanced equations or long division since i did gcse maths and i never will.. well if i do then ill ask my mate who has a degree in maths to do it in a second! the subject bored me to tears and i would of happily spent my time doing something else seeing as i can add up my bills, divide them by 4, count my fingers.. figure out percentages or whatever else..

Im not a developmental psychologist or an education secretary but there has to be a base understanding of subjects as well as a reasonable amount of options to prevent disruption. So called 'disruptive children' should have a decent selection of subjects or topics so they can find something they enjoy and actual disruptive children can be disciplined accordingly as they have issues that stem beyond bordom alone.

In my old school they have added more GCSE subjects, more one off classes (we only had 'citizenship and reading') and on friday my mates brother who goes there has a day of 'ground working' once a fortnight.. i dont know what he does and i only know its outside..it sure sounds better than my friday as the only thing i looked forward to was the 3.30 bell, just like every school day.
Almost all real solutions to this problem will be deemed unethical. The main problem is that children MIGHT at some stage suddenly realise the error of their ways and want to learn so persecuting their previous behaviour will inevitably have a negative impact on their current situation. This is now wrong as they want to learn and the education is not provided like it is for other children.
Original post by EggmanD
There are far more extensions of bordom than just 'getting laughs'

Theres no point forcing a child to do something they dont want to do over a reasonable level.

for example.. i have never used advanced equations or long division since i did gcse maths and i never will.. well if i do then ill ask my mate who has a degree in maths to do it in a second! the subject bored me to tears and i would of happily spent my time doing something else seeing as i can add up my bills, divide them by 4, count my fingers.. figure out percentages or whatever else..

Im not a developmental psychologist or an education secretary but there has to be a base understanding of subjects as well as a reasonable amount of options to prevent disruption. So called 'disruptive children' should have a decent selection of subjects or topics so they can find something they enjoy and actual disruptive children can be disciplined accordingly as they have issues that stem beyond bordom alone.

In my old school they have added more GCSE subjects, more one off classes (we only had 'citizenship and reading') and on friday my mates brother who goes there has a day of 'ground working' once a fortnight.. i dont know what he does and i only know its outside..it sure sounds better than my friday as the only thing i looked forward to was the 3.30 bell, just like every school day.

That's my point; you shouldn't have been forced into doing something which you saw as being pointless
Easily if you do it properly :/ How do you not get this?
They don't want to be in school because they're children and they don't understand the importance of it... More likely than not because of how their parents are. That's not their fault.
It's the school's responsibility to make them understand the importance of it all and want to learn. Obvously you come to a point that you should give up because it's a waste of time, but they should try first.

I don't know why you insist on going around in circles.

If it were that easy, then the behaviour in state schools would be so much better, but it isn't. Also you fail to appreciate the fact that we have limited resources and can't go out of our way to sort out everyones behaviour.
As is sometimes the case, especially with the young kids it is not entirely their fault if they are being naughty. It may be something that they caught from their parents, siblings.
I do feel that these sort of students need to be ignored sometimes. But other times they need more attention. No body misbehaves for the sake of it. They probably have some sort of problems and need help. But just juking them out of school is not going to help anyone and not going to be able to advance overall. That student may be very bright and actually enjoy learning but their situation limits them.
These comments are actually disappointing.
Original post by Hopple
Exactly, so no one should infringe upon it, though they can waive their own right.

Oh, you mean you were a nuisance child at school. You would have stopped doing that if you knew you would be kicked out, as would most of the troublemakers in schools. Besides, haven't you just highlighted yet another flaw in the CRB check rather than in how to deal with classroom pests? Did you still only need a CRB check from the last three years? I did when I went to work in a school, they would have had no idea what crimes I got up to if there were any.

yes i was a troublesome child, and no i didnt stop with the threat of kicked out.
but as iv said before there were many underlying problems going on...

the CRB checks are out of date as soon as they are printed, i dont deny that. i think their a waste, especially as im 19 and i have 2...

what i was saying was if its a criminal record to misbehave, then i wouldnt be able to do anything im doing now, as i would have a criminal record and it would show up on my CRB.....
get a african woman standing by with a slipper to beat them
Original post by flowermaster91
get a african woman standing by with a slipper to beat them

Lol I've thought about just saying "beat them" in this thread for ages :cool: africans know how it is
Original post by lukejoshjedi
Lol I've thought about just saying "beat them" in this thread for ages :cool: africans know how it is

yeah bro :smug:
If it were that easy, then the behaviour in state schools would be so much better, but it isn't. Also you fail to appreciate the fact that we have limited resources and can't go out of our way to sort out everyones behaviour.

No, a lot of state schools are ran by **** people who don't do things properly... That's the real issue.
I don't fail to appreciate anything, it's affordable and WORTH the cost because it ultimately saves the state and tax payers money (as I've explained numerous times).
But it's not going out of your way, it's quite simple.
Reply 676
Original post by PonchoKid
yes i was a troublesome child, and no i didnt stop with the threat of kicked out.

Were you kicked out? You knew it was an empty threat, as does any misbehaving child.

but as iv said before there were many underlying problems going on...

the CRB checks are out of date as soon as they are printed, i dont deny that. i think their a waste, especially as im 19 and i have 2...

what i was saying was if its a criminal record to misbehave, then i wouldnt be able to do anything im doing now, as i would have a criminal record and it would show up on my CRB.....

My point was more that such a crime ought not to stop you from working with children, especially as the act of going for a job working with children shows you value education. Heck, if music giants have their way they'll wipe out a whole generation of teachers.
Original post by Hopple
Were you kicked out? You knew it was an empty threat, as does any misbehaving child.

these wernt empty threats i had given to me...
it was to the point where i had to sit in a meeting with 3 or 4 teachers and my mum, who all made the disicion infront of me to let me stay...
that meeting however could have easily gone the other way....
No, a lot of state schools are ran by **** people who don't do things properly... That's the real issue.
I don't fail to appreciate anything, it's affordable and WORTH the cost because it ultimately saves the state and tax payers money (as I've explained numerous times).
But it's not going out of your way, it's quite simple.

No, you haven't explained numerous times; you've speculated without evidence. The state does have to go out of the way for these people as they have to pay staff to tell them that they're not really bad people despite the fact that they are jeapardising other people's futures and wasting taxpayers money, before slowly re-introducing them to normal classroom life.
Reply 679
Original post by Dpwalker
Has anyone mentioned the use of dumbbells yet?

And do what with them may I ask?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending