The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Circadian_Rhythm
The images of Silents fade over time though, so it wouldn't last.

Add a note telling you to replace it every so often.

Or a live video stream of one of the tanks with a silent in it.
I hear Apple is going to make a version of those eyepatches. Alongside the memory chip, there's also a touch screen and access to the AppStore.

They're calling it....

.....the iPatch. :awesome:

....I'll go sit in the corner and think about what I've done :ashamed:
Silence blatently falls when the Doctor tells River his name.
The Doctor's been asked what his name is countless times in his life. Maybe silence falls because once he tells, everyone stops asking. :p:
Original post by SirMasterKey
Silence blatently falls when the Doctor tells River his name.

But the Silence will fall when the question is asked, well it was asked but is he going to ask? Or does he indeed answer it and *then* Silence falls? :/ but they're trying to kill him before he gets to that place - is that where the question is asked then :s-smilie: *confused*

Or they don't mean silence as in quietness - the actually mean the Silence as in the religious order/alien-in-suits as they are referred to the Silence as well! Maybe that's how the Doctor can cause the fall of the Silence, by asking the question?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by D4rth
The question is "Doctor Who?"

As in who is the doctor.

It's a meta thing. It's the oldest question when you consider the Whoniverse was created in 1963. And the programme would end (or at least the name would be pointless) if the name was ever revealed.
i thought the 'silence' referred to in 'silence will fall' meant that the doctor will reveal his secret? as in, he has been 'silent' about his secret so when the question is asked, the doctor will no longer be 'silent' (because he's answering the question) and 'silence will fall.' well that's what i inferred from tonight's ep xD
Reply 7007
Original post by dizzeedollee

oh and the water insulating the silence. i thought water was a better conductor of electricity than air? xD

I thought it was some timey-wimey explanation to do with time restarting? Because even though they looked more interested when the Doctor appeared, they didn't break out until time started moving, IIRC.

I want more AmyRory&River interaction, damn it!
Original post by dizzeedollee
i never got how exactly the eyepatches worked, just something about the brain? :s-smilie:

oh and the water insulating the silence. i thought water was a better conductor of electricity than air? xD

Water doesn't conduct electricity =P, but they didn't say it was water. They merely said that it was a fluid of some kind (from what I can remember)... so maybe it was an insulating liquid.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7009
I liked it to be honest.
Although the start confused me and I thought the whole everything is happening at once was just a bit weird.
But once it got going and we got to the pyramid I was quite pleased with the outcome - because even though the ending was fairly obvious I hadn't even thought that the Doctor would have put himself in the Tessalator. So simple, and yet I didn't guess it!
I was also happy to see more of River/Alex Kingston <3
Original post by LastLordofTime
It's a meta thing. It's the oldest question when you consider the Whoniverse was created in 1963. And the programme would end (or at least the name would be pointless) if the name was ever revealed.

That is certainly going to be a difficult issue to resolve... They're putting themselves between the rock of revealing the Doctor's name (which would undermine the mystery of the character) and the hard-place of trying to worm their way out of naming him! They should just not over-hype the whole "Who exactly is the Doctor?" thing to avoid the issue to be honest...

-unless of course Moffat's plan is to at the same time confuse and beguile us untill we're simply not interested in the story any more but need to watch to make a vain attempt at understanding the plot to make ourselves seem really clever because we can understand where on earth the story-line is going...
(edited 12 years ago)
You know the bit where the blue head man says DOC TOR WHO! I thought the blue man was saying that that is the doctors real name.
Am I wrong. I've recently gotten into to Dr Who so please pardon me for any ignorance. :redface:
Christmas special 2011 plots been revealed on doctor wiki for those who want to have a look also a very interesting guest too!
Original post by dunnicare
You know the bit where the blue head man says DOC TOR WHO! I thought the blue man was saying that that is the doctors real name.
Am I wrong. I've recently gotten into to Dr Who so please pardon me for any ignorance. :redface:

He wasn't saying 'DOCTOR WHO!' He was saying 'Doctor who?'

That is 'the question' - doctor who?

:smile:
Original post by tibbles209
He wasn't saying 'DOCTOR WHO!' He was saying 'Doctor who?'

That is 'the question' - doctor who?

:smile:

Yeah I know he was saying doctor who?!?! but at the end he says doc tor who. Notice how I separated doc and tor. Perhaps this is his name.
Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan
But the Silence will fall when the question is asked, well it was asked but is he going to ask? Or does he indeed answer it and *then* Silence falls? :/ but they're trying to kill him before he gets to that place - is that where the question is asked then :s-smilie: *confused*

Or they don't mean silence as in quietness - the actually mean the Silence as in the religious order/alien-in-suits as they are referred to the Silence as well! Maybe that's how the Doctor can cause the fall of the Silence, by asking the question?

Well if it's a battle and someone says, 'The Doctor will die/fall/live/win/lose etc' I just wouldn't be satisfied with a 'Doctor, who?' by the Doctor to save the day.

Wh I also think it will be telling River his name, the Silence 'built' her up to kill the Doctor. Therefore to me it just seems right that it would end up being her with the Doctor that destroys them.
Original post by limetang
Water doesn't conduct electricity =P, but they didn't say it was water. They merely said that it was a fluid of some kind (from what I can remember)... so maybe it was an insulating liquid.

Em, yes it does... :s-smilie:

I thought that they were put in tanks because if they drew any electricity they would be wholly electrified themselves. Or something.
Reply 7017
Original post by spacepirate-James
Em, yes it does... :s-smilie:

I thought that they were put in tanks because if they drew any electricity they would be wholly electrified themselves. Or something.

If I remember right from school, water itself (as in water with no impurities) does not conduct electricity. The reason water tends to conduct is because it has usually impurities which allow the electrical current to flow through the water. If you remove these impurities, the water will be unable to conduct electricity.
Reply 7018
Original post by Gemini92

Original post by Gemini92
If I remember right from school, water itself (as in water with no impurities) does not conduct electricity. The reason water tends to conduct is because it has usually impurities which allow the electrical current to flow through the water. If you remove these impurities, the water will be unable to conduct electricity.

This. Dissolved salts in water allow electric charge to be passed. Pure water is a poor conductor of electricity.
Just watched it.

Meh. :indiff:

Latest