The Student Room Group

placement problems

I'm studying the physician associate studies course, I started it last year and was really struggling so they let me intermit and I'm really grateful they let e come back.

The problem is last year my GP placement was not good. When I got there there was nothing for me to do, they would ask doctors if i could sit in with them and some would say no. The nurse who did phlebotomy basically did not want me there. They would send me to their other site and say that the people there know I am coming, when i got there the people had no idea who i was. For like 2 weeks straight I did not sese any patients as the site they had sent me to was new and did not have patients coming in yet.

I want to ask to change but i didn't want the lecturers to think I've come back and already started creating a fuss
@Kdog21

Talk to your lecturers and explain what happened. They might not realise that you did not get the opportunity to see or learn as much as they would have expected. It's better to raise concerns now.

I assume that the placement provider is being paid to have you there so they should be providing as many opportunities for you to learn as possible.

It can be difficult with placements as some patients might object to having an additional person sit in on their appointment. Patients are entitled to privacy and a doctor or nurse cannot override a patient's decision if they don't want a student there when they're discussing personal matters or receiving health treatment.

There may have been an email sent out about a student coming, but health practices, hospitals and clinics can get very busy so emails can be missed or forgotten about, so try not to take it personally! If you have ever subscribed to one too many retail or online services, then you will know what it's like to have a swamped inbox and to miss emails that you need to read.

Hope the next placement goes better!

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
Reply 2
Thanks for replying

My problem is that i don't want the lecturers to think I've come back and started fussing
Original post by Kdog21
Thanks for replying

My problem is that i don't want the lecturers to think I've come back and started fussing

Hi @Kdog21,

I agree with @University of Huddersfield in that bringing the issues up earlier is better than leaving it for a few weeks as there will then be less time for you to actually learn. To resolve this it seems like the best approach is to discuss the issues with your placement supervisor or supervisor at university if you have one. Make note of what exactly has happened so that you have it written down. Perhaps arrange a meeting with both your placement and university supervisors if you can to make sure you are all on the same page.

It does not sound like it was your fault for these things happening and it seems like you have come back to uni and want to make the most of it which I am sure your lecturers will appreciate.

Do you have a dedicated placements team at your university you could contact?

I hope this gets resolved soon.

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep
Original post by University of Kent
Hi @Kdog21,

I agree with @University of Huddersfield in that bringing the issues up earlier is better than leaving it for a few weeks as there will then be less time for you to actually learn. To resolve this it seems like the best approach is to discuss the issues with your placement supervisor or supervisor at university if you have one. Make note of what exactly has happened so that you have it written down. Perhaps arrange a meeting with both your placement and university supervisors if you can to make sure you are all on the same page.

It does not sound like it was your fault for these things happening and it seems like you have come back to uni and want to make the most of it which I am sure your lecturers will appreciate.

Do you have a dedicated placements team at your university you could contact?

I hope this gets resolved soon.

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep

PRSOM
Do you not have a placement tutor? Most Unis will have a named individual who looks after you and looks after the placement provider - I used to do that role

Before you arrived there would have been some sort of agreement with the placement provider - almost a contract - explaining their responsibilities, and what the Uni will do to support them as providers. If the provider isn't doing what was agreed, then that needs to be discussed asap

As a tutor (or Uni) I would want (i) to keep working with providers from year to year, and (ii) make sure my students get a decent experience - so want to know any issues very quickly. It was my job to fix stuff

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending