The Student Room Group

What is wrong with food stamps?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tangopopper
Kinda agree.

Although if I were to be an uber-cynicist...maybe the government wants them to buy alcohol and tobacco, because they get half of the spent money back in tax and the people on benefits would die earlier, meaning less money having to be forked out...just sayin'.

Unfortunately that's not the case, instead, they are a burden on the NHS.
Original post by tinktinktinkerbell
rubbish, spoilt brats are pathetic

Why do you want kids to be given all this expensive stuff, then?
Original post by Elissabeth
Why do you want kids to be given all this expensive stuff, then?

did i say i did?

if the parents can afford it, why not
Reply 303
Original post by abc:)

[QUOTE=abc[excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace];34696766]The last part of your thread is basically the reason why they exist, I think anyway. But you're kind of assuming that the poorer you are the more petty morally degrading issues become. Poor people are just as proud as rich people and offended by the same things, they don't lose their sense of dignity. If you were given not money, but tokens for the things you need would you not be a little bit offended and think 'I deserve to buy what I choose to buy'?

I don't disagree with the concept of food stamps necessarily, I'm just trying to put across why some people who are on them would feel degraded by them.

I can see exactly what you mean, but the idea of perhaps a credit card with certain items blocked does also sound interesting!
did i say i did?

if the parents can afford it, why not

It produces lazy, ungrateful, spoilt brats
Original post by JOR2010
I can see exactly what you mean, but the idea of perhaps a credit card with certain items blocked does also sound interesting!

what items would be blocked and why should they be

It produces lazy, ungrateful, spoilt brats

just like you then :wink:

just like you then :wink:

How the hell can someone with all second hand stuff be spoiled?

anyone can be a spoilt brat

and you certainly seem to be ungrateful
Reply 308
Sadly I know of families on benefits where the children often go without proper food, clothes and warmth......but their parents dont go without their booze or ciggies.I always feel sorry for those children, they didnt have a say in being born.
Back to the topic of food stamps... one thing for certain it is quite usual in USA that food stamps are often bought and sold in the black market. I remember this being a topic for an English writing essay at one time in high school.

In USA often unknown outside of is there is also another program available for those who can qualify called WIC. This one is available to all women with children or infants if the child or baby is under a certain weight or is under-nourished. Usually it is now given out in a Debit Card and you could only use it for certain foods... the downside is not everywhere will accept it....however vast majority of their main grocery supermarkets do.... usually only places that don't accept them are places where the rich would shop.

As for implementing a similar system in Britain... it's not an impossibility but one thing for sure it isn't going to stop benefit scrounging scums from being on it.... if one is intent on being a scrounger then the reality of it is this step won't prevent its abuse.... may reduce it a little but not by much.... a better system would be to gradually reduce the number of benefits available and increase the qualifications in obtaining it.... having said that instead of giving out cash in hand that debit card system might be a good idea simply because it means that the money doesn't go into the underworld.

It embarrassing the recipient etc.... this is a moot argument... the reality of it is no one cares that your feelings are hurt... deal with it. Maybe a good compromise to it is you can get cash payouts for the first 3-6 months......after that it is only vouchers. After 2 years then maybe you could only get regular food deliveries delivered to you or something by say Tescos?

Expensive to implement? The USA's WIC and SNAP programs aren't near as expensive to implement as most of those opposing the system would like to believe it is.

The reality of it is the system needs reform as too many people are indeed scrounging on it and these are people who had been on it for a long term not just during the current weak economy. Any reforms will definitely hit the genuine ones one way or another but in times of austerity then this is what needs to happen.
Original post by Annie72
Sadly I know of families on benefits where the children often go without proper food, clothes and warmth......but their parents dont go without their booze or ciggies.I always feel sorry for those children, they didnt have a say in being born.

Does the ss know?

Food vouchers would be a good idea for those people.
anyone can be a spoilt brat

and you certainly seem to be ungrateful

So I should be grateful I was bullied, should I ?

Most kids get given second hand stuff and experience bullying at some point in their life, stop going on about it like you're so hard done by, it's pathetic. There will always be people in worse situations than you, so taking your experience and applying it to all children is just wrong.
So I should be grateful I was bullied, should I ?

no but you should be grateful your parents got you things

it doesnt sound like you are though
no but you should be grateful your parents got you things

it doesnt sound like you are though

They got me second hand things. Are there actually any children who have absolutely nothing? In this country, I mean?

I would have been far better off in care. You get a £60 a month allowance.

Anyway, so what, they can just go to the toy library, they don't need presents.
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
Most kids get given second hand stuff and experience bullying at some point in their life, stop going on about it like you're so hard done by, it's pathetic. There will always be people in worse situations than you, so taking your experience and applying it to all children is just wrong.

Really?

So were you ever bought anything from an Oxfam shop?

Your Christmas present from a car boot sale?

If you experience bullying for years, it does effect you.
Really?

Not Oxfam, but I have had presents from charity shops yes. Nothing wrong with that, there are some good finds in charity shops.

Yes.

I and millions of other people are fully aware of the effects of bullying as we have experienced it. It's not nice, but going on about it when you come out with offensive bull yourself is not going to give you the sympathy vote.

You're just really ungrateful and had a bad experience as a child. Get over it and stop having a go at people who are in worse off situations. If you really wanted to do some good you would help children who had a similar experience to you rather than labelling them "spoilt brats" who deserve nothing. What you've said is so disrespectful to your parents as well. Better off in care? Have you ever experienced what it's like to be in care? I bet people who have would give anything to have loving parents like you had. Second hand stuff or new, at least your parents tried to get you something. Stop spewing your hateful rubbish.

I hope you don't become a parent until you know basic morals.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
Not Oxfam, but I have had presents from charity shops yes. Nothing wrong with that, there are some good finds in charity shops.

Yes.

I and millions of other people are fully aware of the effects of bullying as we have experienced it. It's not nice, but going on about it when you come out with offensive bull yourself is not going to give you the sympathy vote.

You're just really ungrateful and had a bad experience as a child. Get over it and stop having a go at people who are in worse off situations. If you really wanted to do some good you would help children who had a similar experience to you rather than labelling them "spoilt brats" who deserve nothing. What you've said is so disrespectful to your parents as well. Better off in care? Have you ever experienced what it's like to be in care? I bet people who have would give anything to have loving parents like you. Stop spewing your hateful rubbish.

Well, if there is nothing wrong with it, why do you get ripped to shreds at school for having anything second-hand?

I'm not asking for the sympathy vote, and why should I care about offending these people?

How are these people in worse situations? Have they all been bullied?

How can I help children who've had a similar experience? Its a taboo thing and I never talked about it until I was in my 20's.

No, I've never been in care, but its got to be better then having only second-hand stuff. Or at least not standing out, being isolated and bullied.
Well, if there is nothing wrong with it, why do you get ripped to shreds at school for having anything second-hand?

I'm not asking for the sympathy vote, and why should I care about offending these people?

How are these people in worse situations? Have they all been bullied?

How can I help children who've had a similar experience? Its a taboo thing and I never talked about it until I was in my 20's.

No, I've never been in care, but its got to be better then having only second-hand stuff. Or at least not standing out, being isolated and bullied.

Oh my god :facepalm: Do you seriously think you're the only person who has experienced bullying? What about people who are racially bullied, physically assaulted on a day-to-day basis and can't change anything? At least now you're an adult you can change your clothes you hate so much despite not paying a penny towards them.

You should worry about offending people because you keep going on about being bullied which has evidently upset you, so why do you think you can do the same to others who did nothing to you? It's completely hypocritical. You can't hide behind the bullying card and dish it out at the same time. You're in your 20s for goodness sake, grow up and take responsibility for yourself.

I totally think you're trolling right now, I really hope you are anyway. To wish you were in care over parents buying you second hand stuff is absolutely ridiculous. You've got no concept of the real world and what others go through and have no idea how lucky you are to have a loan handed to you to further your education with a roof over your head and a supportive family.

Sod the bullies, stop going on about them because you're turning into one yourself.
Really?

My dear Elissabeth, while I do not have experience getting bullied in school... nor do I have experience being given any 2nd hand items, my wife certainly has.

She isn't much younger than you are, she will be 21 later this year.

She would have been very thankful for something of her own from an Oxfam shop but she never even got something from there... why? Because her mum is an evil woman who prefers booze and cigs over her own children and there are 7 of them now aged between 24 and 9.

You should be thankful you received a Christmas present from a car boot sale.... many children get zilch for xmas and life has to go on..... my wife would have been very happy to receive something from a car boot sale.... but instead she was thankful she never got 2 tight slaps from her ma on xmas.

Do you know why she still has vivid memories of having her first brand new outfit? It isn't anything special either, just a piece from Peacock... well it's very simple to answer, it's because I bought it for her when she was 17 years of age.

Her days are a lot better now, since she now has enough to eat and a home she can call her own, certainly I give her enough in "wife tax" that she could afford to buy new clothes but she still chooses to wear my old shirts that I won't wear any longer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending