The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Give up my seat?! NOOO! :(

Scroll to see replies

I do know what you mean, however an elderly or disabled person may well be feeling much worse than yourself and have to face other serious problems such as the ability to stand for a long time whether they are ill or not. Therefore, I think you should always give up your seat for someone else if they are of need.
Original post by malverius
I literally get lairy when people in their 60s who are perfectly able to stand start giving you **** for not giving you their seat - maybe they are old, but I've just paid 2.70 one way for a five mile journey when their ticket is absolutely free! Why does grey hair entitle them to my seat in addition to a free journey (which I absolutely don't begrudge them)?

They need the sit more than you with a few exceptions, you'll most likely be a lot more healthier than them and more able to tolerate standing more than them. Is it really ****ing hard to give up a seat? Are you that lazy, that inconsiderate, that spoiled that you aren't willing to give up a seat? It's an act of kindness. Be kind to everyone and anyone that you can. Can't believe you can do that without feeling guilty, I tried that once but got up about 20 seconds after 'cause of the guilt.
Reply 142
Original post by Saranghea
So today I was on the bus and it was unbelievably packed. Luckily I managed to snag a seat. I look up and there is an elderly lady standing nearby and just by her side is an equally (if not more) elderly man. What to do? Now I am seriously ill today, I'm in bed as we speak. I felt like I was going to faint on that bus! The lady next to me got up and offerred her chair to one of them and looked at me expectantly. I just smiled and put my headphones in. She tsk'd and the elderly man left standing shook his head at me and muttered something or other (probably about "youth of today") making me feel very ashamed :ashamed2:. The bus ride was quite long and there was an unusually high number of elderly people. I got a lot of dissapproving looks. I think at some point I said sorry I'm ill but alas to no avail. Nobody cared.

I wasn't sitting in the assigned "give your seat up" zone! just because I'm young I'm expected to be in top form health wise 24/7?! Why can't a young person be one of the "less able to stand"??? Don't get me wrong, I do give my seat up to the elderly/pregnant etc but not when I'm ILL shheeshh!

Do you give your seat up? Or do you believe you should't have to? have you ever received abuse for not doing so even though you couldn't

EDIT: I don't understand why I'm getting negged; I spent the day in hospital (mostly in the waiting room but still!)and I actually was genuinely ill. I'm just pointing out that people on buses shouldn't "judge a book by it's cover" as it were...

Younger people do not need to be expected to waive their rights in the social life like in this situation just because they have lived a certain amount of time lesser. It is the fact that they have no any superior point than others. So in fact the expectations of elder people from younger ones in this direction, i assume, would be some sort of egoism. In defence, they have some other options just like not to prefer full buses and wait for the next, or try to travel lesser and so on. Of course in the circumstances that they should be outside or that they are late for somewhere &c., they may use some other alternative ways. Because a lot of people may have a variety of problems in respect of their own lives, it is better to empathize with others as well. I think that the generation factor over here is also trivial. I mean all of the social norms in the former years may not be the right behaviours totally.

On the other hand, regardless of all the problems they deal with, some people prefer to offer their seats to others. However this act is actually about the personal preference through the scope of cultural customs.

Consequently some of people may be willing to give their seats to other people, but it doesn't seem that it is right to expect this from all.

i have sort of the opposite problem, i have a muscle wasting disease and it really hurts to stand up too much, and i never get a seat on the bus / train when its full :frown:
Reply 144
ITT children who believe they'll never be old.
Original post by Computerised

What always gets me is when they stare at you tring to telepathically communicate that they want your seat. If they are polite enough to ask then I am polite enough to give up my seat. I'ts like a beggar staring you down expecting you to give him money without asking. Another reason for my rule is that I swear to go everytime I offer to give up my seat they refuse making me look awkward. I get up saying here you take it and then they go no thanks and I'm left to awkwardly sit back down on a packed bus.

Yeah I ****ing hate when they don't take my sit and feel all awkward and ****. They stare at you because they are trying to appeals to your morals. Most people have parents that taught them to get up for the elderly. I don't see nothing wrong with beggars expecting you to give them money, you aren't in a much more fortunate position then them. Imagine your a begger, you're already begging and you speak up yet get rejected. How would you feel? ****ing worse than that awkward feeling you felt that's for sure.

Every man is guilty of all the good he didn't do - Voltaire
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by bench
And that why i think that developing medical science to the point where people are living way past there worth is wrong.

How to you evaluate precisely the moment in their lives when they are "living way past their worth"? Who would judge that? And what would you do at that point? Just metaphorically pull the plug? And how would you explain that to their families and friends?

I'm not sure you've thought this through properly...
Reply 147
Hi - yup, I paid for my ticket with you know, money?
If someone is genuinely infirm, I don't hesitate to give up my seat! However, I do object to being asked to give up a seat to someone who hasn't actually paid for it simply by virtue of their age.
Fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion. I have a laptop which means I don't need to stand to use it :tongue: If I needed an ambulance, I wouldn't have taken th bus. I'm not dying, I just have difficulty standing without feeling very faint and I said I had to go home somehow! but you will have your opinion no matter what I say and I guess I will have mine no matter you say so goodnight to you :smile:

And you :smile:
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
Yeah I ****ing hate when they don't take my sit and feel all awkward and ****. They stare at you because they are trying to appeals to your morals. Most people have parents that taught them to get up for the elderly. I don't see nothing wrong with beggars expecting you to give them money, you aren't in a much more fortunate position then them. Imagine your a begger, you're already begging and you speak up yet get rejected. How would you feel? ****ing worse than that awkward feeling you felt that's for sure.

Every man is guilty of all the good he didn't do - Voltaire

yep damned if you do damned if you dont. If you do then the old peole are like "ahh im gonna refuse cos youre basically calling me an invalid OAP by giving me your seat." and if you don't all the (hypocritical) young people on the bus go "ohh look at that selfish person"
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
They need the sit more than you with a few exceptions, you'll most likely be a lot more healthier than them and more able to tolerate standing more than them. Is it really ****ing hard to give up a seat? Are you that lazy, that inconsiderate, that spoiled that you aren't willing to give up a seat? It's an act of kindness. Be kind to everyone and anyone that you can. Can't believe you can do that without feeling guilty, I tried that once but got up about 20 seconds after 'cause of the guilt.

Yeah well said.

I think to be quite frank a lot of you ought to just shut up and give the seat up and don't worry if they don't want to take the seat .... I mean for ****'s sake.... "Waaaahh they made me feel 'awkward Waaaa" just offer them the ****ing seat. What's wrong with you all? Are you made out of candy floss? Have you any dignity or self respect? Where's your pride?
Original post by A level Az
If you're well enough to walk from the bus stop to the hospital, then you're well enough to stand on the bus. This is a lame excuse, sorry.

Same argument applies to the coffin dodger, no?
Erm, because it would be weird?

I wanted to see if others have been through the same and to understand why people are so quick to assume that because you're young you never need to sit down!

I don't think there's anything wrong with not giving up a non-priority seat if you're really sick. obviously a crappy position though because no-one will realise/assume you're sick. sucks how cynical people are eh :redface:
Original post by bench
And that why i think that developing medical science to the point where people are living way past there worth is wrong.

Most of the medical science that we developped so far for the elderly is mostly to aleviate the pain and inconveniences that comes with ageing, people live longer because of better treatments of disease and we're not going to stop developping treatments just because the elderly live longer. Plus whether you die at 60 or 90 you're still going to get what comes with having your body ageing.

Secondly, when are people past their worth? After retiring? Should we just shoot them then? Not really ethical now is it?
(edited 12 years ago)
If you do then the old peole are like "ahh im gonna refuse cos youre basically calling me an invalid OAP by giving me your seat."

You seriously think that's what goes through their minds? Christ are you on extremely strong acid or something? You're nuts, completely insane.

They probably just don't feel they need the seat and are being kind to you by letting you keep it.

What strange train of thought made you work out that they refuse for the reason you said? You must have taken the scenic route.
Original post by Aramiss18

Again, referring to them as "coffin dodgers"? Says a lot about you.
Reply 156
Original post by frankieboy
How to you evaluate precisely the moment in their lives when they are "living way past their worth"? Who would judge that? And what would you do at that point? Just metaphorically pull the plug? And how would you explain that to their families and friends?

I'm not sure you've thought this through properly...

A deteriorating body normally, and i say normally but is not always the case, means that its time to start thinking of the end. If your body is unable to survive on its own and needs constant medical treatment then maybe you have lived past your time.

This does not apply, in my opinion, to those who suffer from diseases such as cancer.

I wouldn't personally just pull the plug because like everything you would have to be slowly accustomed to it. Nothing would need to be explain to there family, as they have died from a natural process which in the end everyone will have to deal with.
yep damned if you do damned if you dont. If you do then the old peole are like "ahh im gonna refuse cos youre basically calling me an invalid OAP by giving me your seat." and if you don't all the (hypocritical) young people on the bus go "ohh look at that selfish person"

It's still better to do it and realize that your intentions were good and at the end of the day that's what matters. It's much better to stand up and get rejected than still still and ignore. Assume the best in people.
Original post by Aramiss18

No it doesn't. Please look up the words courteous, respect, and chronic back pain.
Original post by bench

Original post by bench
A deteriorating body normally, and i say normally but is not always the case, means that its time to start thinking of the end. If your body is unable to survive on its own and needs constant medical treatment then maybe you have lived past your time.

This does not apply, in my opinion, to those who suffer from diseases such as cancer.

I wouldn't personally just pull the plug because like everything you would have to be slowly accustomed to it. Nothing would need to be explain to there family, as they have died from a natural process which in the end everyone will have to deal with.

You do realize that as medical science advances old people are becoming more healthy? 50 years ago a 50 year old would have been akin to a mid-60s+ of todays time whereas now 50 is akin to 40.

Latest

Trending

Trending