The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The new companion was picked because "she can talk faster than the doctor", so look forward to some fast talking, and the various new tedious internet memes from the aforementioned fast dialogue. Looks like River Song is back too according to the trailers, this time with a new type of hat and her self-satisfied 'aren't I mysterious and clever' smile. I can't bloody wait.

I'll keep watching for that occasional sci-fi gem that comes once in a while every series.
Good episode. I liked it.

I liked how there was a bit more fear and tension than in most of the episodes in the newer series. I think Dr. Who has been missing that edge for quite a bit. There was also a degree of originality, which has also been missing over the last few seasons (just my opinion).

I think Matt Smith was rather good, although I wish he would get the jolly/ dark side of the Doctors character to be more evenly distributed. He is actually really good at being dark and serious, like Tennant was, and he needs to bring this out more often I feel (although that may be the script's fault admittedly...)

I know this probably won't be a popular opinion; but I really don't feel like Rory/ Amy work very well as companions overall. I don't think they really add anything, and they lack what companions are supposed to bring to the show - which is a genuine human reaction to all of these places. Amy still seems silly and childish, and although Karen is hot she doesn't add much to the show. She lacks any believable reactions; whether they are fear, melancholia or happiness. Not sure if that's intentional but the whole "stoic Scot" has been overdone if that is the case. I think Rory is a good addition; and brings nice contrast to the doctor, whilst being the most "real" character.
Compare Amy to Donna, Martha and even Rose and they were far better additions to the show overall in my opinion.

I don't have too many complaints about Smith; and I think most of his critics wrongly accuse him. I point the slight descent in the show's quality to be down to scriptwriting and the companions (whether that is also scriptwriting or just acting).

I still enjoy the show; but only because the recent series have lowered my expectations. But this episode was a step in the right direction.
I loved Oswin, she seems fantastic - clever, sassy and a match for the Doctor. How she will be introduced really intrigues me - could make for an interesting Christmas episode.
Original post by A Light Lilt
Good episode. I liked it.

I liked how there was a bit more fear and tension than in most of the episodes in the newer series. I think Dr. Who has been missing that edge for quite a bit. There was also a degree of originality, which has also been missing over the last few seasons (just my opinion).

I don't know... it still seemed a bit too jolly for my liking, they did it all wrong. I would've made it even more darker and terrifying. :colone:
I was a bit dissatisfied at the fact that DW continued to be an attempt to make things *even more epic* but other than that, it was a mostly enjoyable episode. There was nothing in it that I specifically hated, so that's saying something...

Poor Amy and Rory... at the end of the episode, they must have a lot of paperwork to sort through and lawyers to explain to...
Reply 8125
Original post by punctuation
I was a bit dissatisfied at the fact that DW continued to be an attempt to make things *even more epic* but other than that, it was a mostly enjoyable episode. There was nothing in it that I specifically hated, so that's saying something...

Poor Amy and Rory... at the end of the episode, they must have a lot of paperwork to sort through and lawyers to explain to...

probably not she'd just signed when they were abducted the papers hadn't been handed to or shown to anyone, they could just burn them and pretend they changed there mind and destroyed them rather than signing. :wink:
It was an alright episode, although personally I found the 'twist' at the end to be predictable. I had myself thinking at the beginning of the episode that she was either going to be one of those weird human daleks or a fully fledged one.
Original post by boba
probably not she'd just signed when they were abducted the papers hadn't been handed to or shown to anyone, they could just burn them and pretend they changed there mind and destroyed them rather than signing. :wink:

Haha yeah... For their sakes, I'm going to hope the photographer didn't wander around looking for Amy and end up posting the documents. :wink:

Original post by limetang
It was an alright episode, although personally I found the 'twist' at the end to be predictable. I had myself thinking at the beginning of the episode that she was either going to be one of those weird human daleks or a fully fledged one.

Same here, it was quite obvious all along. The beginning was strewn with hints.

It seems the fact that there were daleks supposedly trying to enter her ship was a red herring.
Was anyone else bothered that at the end of the episode the daleks, who normally exterminate anyone on sight, for some reason were so confused with why some guy was calling himself 'The Doctor' that they just let him escape without even trying to kill him?
Original post by justanotherposter
Was anyone else bothered that at the end of the episode the daleks, who normally exterminate anyone on sight, for some reason were so confused with why some guy was calling himself 'The Doctor' that they just let him escape without even trying to kill him?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. It's an unidentified intruder... kill him on sight, don't let him run away!
I liked the latest episode, hopefully series 7 will be a touch lighter on the story arc than 6. Series 6 just did my head in after a while with all the plot details and hints running through everything, I think I lost the sense of enjoyment somewhere. Saying that, it probably holds up much better watching it again as there's no pressure or questions about where it's going.

Oswin sounds really interesting, but I really hope Moffat doesn't do the whole 'find her before this happened' thing as it'd just irritate me.

Matt Smith is brilliant although I do find his over-acting more children orientated bits too patronising for me (like pond life), but then that's probably more down to the writing than his acting.
Reply 8131
Haha yeah... For their sakes, I'm going to hope the photographer didn't wander around looking for Amy and end up posting the documents. :wink:

Rory took the documents with him. Guess they might have ended up left on the bus though.
Original post by Aula
Rory took the documents with him. Guess they might have ended up left on the bus though.

Ah, really? Where did he put the documents in the kerfuffle?
Reply 8133
Ah, really? Where did he put the documents in the kerfuffle?

I don't think we saw :dontknow:
Original post by Aula
I don't think we saw :dontknow:

Probably stuffed them down his shirt or something. That's why he was so reluctant to take it off for Oswin... thankfully he and Amy got back together at the end, or he'd have to explain some really crumpled legal documents to his lawyer... :wink:
I think there's something about the way Oswin keeps saying "remember me" or something along those lines. I can see some really unconvincing "psychic rematerialisation" happening or something.
*Sigh* Dr Who, how I have missed you..
I really liked the episode, even if I was a little bit 'Noooo Amy and Rory, no fighting!!!' and there was some pretty obvious foreshadowing about Oswin being all Daleky..

Anyone else in love with the derpy daleks though? Egggggs Eggg Eggggsssss
Poor daleks just wanted to help bake Oswins imaginary, burnt souffles!
Original post by Lansaaaa
I think there's something about the way Oswin keeps saying "remember me" or something along those lines. I can see some really unconvincing "psychic rematerialisation" happening or something.

Yeah I thought that too, a bit like something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue...
Original post by Mr Tough
Wooo Doctor Who back at last :biggrin:

I am excited to see the introduction of a new character but also sad to see Amy and Rory leave

Every companion (except Donna, who I just found annoying) has been really great and lived up to the previous one...the major difference now might be just one companion rather than both Amy and Rory, which I felt made the show a lot better

Despite loving both characters, I wouldn't even be against them being killed off...emotionally stirring for the viewers and would be interesting to see how the Doctor's character reacts in response to a companion dying rather than just leaving

Anyway, still some time for that to happen...(i think it might be only 5 episodes? hope you're right and there are six!)

So for now...Bring on the daleks!

What?! Oh my. I read that there were 5 too! I just heard that Karen isn't in it after 6, so I thought she leaves in the sixth. Maybe there are 5, you're probably right. Why are there only 5?! Flaming madness. I wait a year for it, and we only get 5 episodes. :frown:

HOW AMAZING WAS THE EPISODE? My favourite by far. Not predictable, clever, loved the characters.
I think the souffle girl was the new companion, wasn't she? I think I like her. Damn it. I wanted to dislike her, only because she's taking over Amy and Rory. Unless Rory stays... Or have you heard otherwise? )':

SO CLEVER.

Spoiler in case nobody has seen Episode 1 yet:

Spoiler

Original post by lizolove
What?! Oh my. I read that there were 5 too! I just heard that Karen isn't in it after 6, so I thought she leaves in the sixth. Maybe there are 5, you're probably right. Why are there only 5?! Flaming madness. I wait a year for it, and we only get 5 episodes. :frown:

HOW AMAZING WAS THE EPISODE? My favourite by far. Not predictable, clever, loved the characters.
I think the souffle girl was the new companion, wasn't she? I think I like her. Damn it. I wanted to dislike her, only because she's taking over Amy and Rory. Unless Rory stays... Or have you heard otherwise? )':

SO CLEVER.

Spoiler in case nobody has seen Episode 1 yet:

Spoiler

Yes she is. That was announced ages ago hence people's shock when she turned up.

No need to spoiler stuff about the episode as long as it's already aired, people avoid the thread if they're watching it late.

Latest