The Student Room Group

Help with moments question please, two supports.

Help with moments questions please.
Since GCSE level I always had issues with moments and at A-Level it's still the case.

In the following question I got X=34 and Y=14 but I do not understand part B at all. The markscheme says the answer is 42N, if someone could explain it to me so I can understand it well I'd appreciate it! Thanks! Moments.jpg
Original post by TheMysteryMan
Help with moments questions please.
Since GCSE level I always had issues with moments and at A-Level it's still the case.

In the following question I got X=34 and Y=14 but I do not understand part B at all. The markscheme says the answer is 42N, if someone could explain it to me so I can understand it well I'd appreciate it! Thanks! Moments.jpg

It wants to know what the force at the left end needs to be so that there is no need for any force at Y. So the only forces acting are the mass, the weight, and the reaction at X. Think of it as being balanced on X. I would make the mass equal to 18+x 18+ x and then solve by resolving up and taking moments
Reply 2
Original post by hello calum
It wants to know what the force at the left end needs to be so that there is no need for any force at Y. So the only forces acting are the mass, the weight, and the reaction at X. Think of it as being balanced on X. I would make the mass equal to 18+x 18+ x and then solve by resolving up and taking moments

Ty, got the answer. This is correct, right?
(0.5 x ?) = (1 x 30)
? = 60
60-18 = 42N
Original post by TheMysteryMan
Ty, got the answer. This is correct, right?
(0.5 x ?) = (1 x 30)
? = 60
60-18 = 42N

Yeah :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by hello calum
Yeah :smile:

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest