The Student Room Group

Please help

Hey guys,

Yesterday I received a phone call from a lady inviting me for an interview for a IT trainee role undertaking duties in supporting all IT related activities, assisting user support, help-desk and BAU activities including monitoring and reporting and troubleshooting software issues. Manually testing and documenting and admin tasks. I then asked the lady how to fully prepare with practice for the interview and the potential questions to anticipate she said to me there wasn't any potential questions I could particularly prepare for to face but the questions will be based around my studies at university. The interview will be competency based. Is there anything I can potentially do to best prepare for this, what sort of questions may they ask related to my studying and the things I did at university and what advice and tips would you give I am extremely nervous, worried scared and anxious and desperate… I know this is a-rewarding job, and the start of something special if I am able to obtain it as it’s always been a field I wanted to work in and pursue a career in but I need help please .

Thank you

Original post by Anonymous #1
Hey guys,
Yesterday I received a phone call from a lady inviting me for an interview for a IT trainee role undertaking duties in supporting all IT related activities, assisting user support, help-desk and BAU activities including monitoring and reporting and troubleshooting software issues. Manually testing and documenting and admin tasks. I then asked the lady how to fully prepare with practice for the interview and the potential questions to anticipate she said to me there wasn't any potential questions I could particularly prepare for to face but the questions will be based around my studies at university. The interview will be competency based. Is there anything I can potentially do to best prepare for this, what sort of questions may they ask related to my studying and the things I did at university and what advice and tips would you give I am extremely nervous, worried scared and anxious and desperate… I know this is a-rewarding job, and the start of something special if I am able to obtain it as it’s always been a field I wanted to work in and pursue a career in but I need help please .
Thank you

Anon,

It's understandable that you are nervous about the interview, and that you want to try and prepare as best as possible for it, but try not to let fear, worry and nerves get the better of you. You looked good on paper as a potential candidate for the role, so you have already got your foot halfway through the door. It's right not to presume anything, but it's also important to believe that you have a good chance of getting the job!

I think the best way to prepare would be to think about likely scenarios that you could encounter within the role. A person has an IT problem. How would you resolve it? What would you say? What would you do? How would you help a person who wasn't very confident with IT? How you would help a person who was annoyed or angry? Can you give an example of a time when you have used your interpersonal/communications skills to help resolve a problem?

You could also think over some of the tasks/assignments they got you to do at university and some of the necessary skills.

It might also be helpful to think about what you would ask someone if it was you preparing the interview. How could you quickly test if a person was suitable for the role? What problem-solving task would you give them? What would demonstrate good communication or organisation skills or a range of IT skills?

Aside from competency questions, they will likely be some standard questions about why you want the job, what you could bring to the position and maybe your strengths and weaknesses. If you do a search for interview questions, then you will find some of the same questions come up again and again so it might be helpful to practise some of them.

Finally in the interview, smile, give eye contact, and have questions prepared for them do your research.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
Original post by University of Huddersfield
Anon,
It's understandable that you are nervous about the interview, and that you want to try and prepare as best as possible for it, but try not to let fear, worry and nerves get the better of you. You looked good on paper as a potential candidate for the role, so you have already got your foot halfway through the door. It's right not to presume anything, but it's also important to believe that you have a good chance of getting the job!
I think the best way to prepare would be to think about likely scenarios that you could encounter within the role. A person has an IT problem. How would you resolve it? What would you say? What would you do? How would you help a person who wasn't very confident with IT? How you would help a person who was annoyed or angry? Can you give an example of a time when you have used your interpersonal/communications skills to help resolve a problem?
You could also think over some of the tasks/assignments they got you to do at university and some of the necessary skills.
It might also be helpful to think about what you would ask someone if it was you preparing the interview. How could you quickly test if a person was suitable for the role? What problem-solving task would you give them? What would demonstrate good communication or organisation skills or a range of IT skills?
Aside from competency questions, they will likely be some standard questions about why you want the job, what you could bring to the position and maybe your strengths and weaknesses. If you do a search for interview questions, then you will find some of the same questions come up again and again so it might be helpful to practise some of them.
Finally in the interview, smile, give eye contact, and have questions prepared for them do your research.
All the best,

Thank thank you so much :smile:
Original post by University of Huddersfield
Anon,
All the best,

Hi,

Firstly, congratulations on getting to the interview stage!

I can’t particularly comment on any specific questions that might be asked. However, preparations for interviews for the most part are quite consistent. When answering interview questions, I make use of the STAR technique where possible. This is Situation, Task, Action, and Response. This ensures that your answer covers the whole of the question and doesn’t miss out any key detail.

Always try your best to convey your passion and enthusiasm for the course/ role. This is the most important thing as they want to see you are motivated.

If you have more questions or need further assistance, feel free to reach out. Best of luck with your preparations for the interview!

Best Wishes,
Matt University of Salford Student Representative
Original post by University of Salford
Hi,
Firstly, congratulations on getting to the interview stage!
I can’t particularly comment on any specific questions that might be asked. However, preparations for interviews for the most part are quite consistent. When answering interview questions, I make use of the STAR technique where possible. This is Situation, Task, Action, and Response. This ensures that your answer covers the whole of the question and doesn’t miss out any key detail.
Always try your best to convey your passion and enthusiasm for the course/ role. This is the most important thing as they want to see you are motivated.
If you have more questions or need further assistance, feel free to reach out. Best of luck with your preparations for the interview!
Best Wishes,
Matt University of Salford Student Representative

Hi I’ve prepared for questions such as the tell me about yourself, why do you want to work in IT Support and why do you want to work this this company as well as outline the skills related according to the job brief to perform the role which were teamwork, problem solving and attention to detail coming up with an example two related to my computing course whilst at uni and one in my current job would you say that’s best preparation and what do I do if I anticipate a question that I may not have prepared for let’s hope not but…
Original post by Mohammed_2000
Hi I’ve prepared for questions such as the tell me about yourself, why do you want to work in IT Support and why do you want to work this this company as well as outline the skills related according to the job brief to perform the role which were teamwork, problem solving and attention to detail coming up with an example two related to my computing course whilst at uni and one in my current job would you say that’s best preparation and what do I do if I anticipate a question that I may not have prepared for let’s hope not but…

Hello,

This sounds like good preparation so far, like I mentioned I do not know what questions would come up but you seem to be hitting some good examples of questions that could come up and preparing nicely.

I think if a question does come up that you have not prepared for, the best bit of advice I can give is to take your time to answer it. No interviewer or question is there to catch you out in an interview so if a question does come up that you have not quite prepared then just take your time to think and answer it. It is not a timed situation, I know there will be timed slots for the interview but that does not mean you cannot take your time in the moment. As long as you answer every question to the best of your ability then you have done all you can.

I do hope this helps,
Best wishes,
Matt - University of Salford Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending