The Student Room Group

INTENSE anxiety pls help

i have been having these momentary thoughts feelings which are making me question the entire world and my existence and just what everything around me even is. i have literally forced myself to even write this because i hate even thinking about it and in the moment it happens i genuinely beg my brain to think about something else- usually the thought of my current a level exams or someone in my life but recently these thoughts have increased in frequency and become more intense. I have done research on it but havent found anything that quite fits exactly how im feeling and its annoying because it feels as if im the only one in the whole world who has ever had these terrible nautious feelings- even though i know its probably now true or practical- idk if this would be classed as dissociating? i dont think so because i know where i am and what im doing its just like i feel like a spiral of doom- very weird it usually happens when i go to the bathroom idk why. i find comfort on my phone and just trying to distract my brain and i remember this used to happen to me when i was much younger, 7-13 yrs. now im 18 doing my a levels and in the last few months it has been eating me up. can someone just tell me theyve felt the same (crying emoji) i need some closure lol. and i dont wana speak to anyone face to face about it cuz i know what theyre gonan say anyways and talking about it makes me feel it more and think about it, and the feeling is just eating me up inside. i prob waffled so much sorry idk thanks to anyone whos actually read this far. and im a girl btw if that changes anything lol. i know these kinda things can be triggered by stress and im doing exams so the stress is definitely there but its been on off for months so i dont think its exactly that. someone helppppp
Reply 1
also my elder sister has suffered from crippling anxiety basically her whole life (has slightly got better now) and she finds comfort in discussing her thoughts with me- but when she does it makes me think about that kind of stuff too and i try end the conversation cuz it makes my mind wander to deep places. but feel bad for not comforting her lol. my 'anxiety?' is no where near as bad as hers but it sure does feel terrible when it happens.

and i know people are probably thinking i should just tell her but like i feel even worse to imagine the idea of someone sitting down trying to console me like i dont need consoling or speaking to or any confirmation like 'everythings gonna be okay'- like the idea of someone acting like ur therapist really puts me off- even though i am that kind of person/ support for so many of my friends.

like the idea of speaking to someone about how im feeling makes me feel like im gonna feel sm worse and iidk like it makes me cringeee inside like i cant discuss that- i hope that doesnt make me sound immature because i do consider myself extremely rational and mature- and i feel like the older sister tbh
I’m sorry to hear that you are having these thoughts and feelings that are making you question your existence and the world around you. It sounds like you are going through a lot of stress and anxiety, and you don’t feel comfortable talking to anyone about it. I’m not a therapist or a doctor, so I can’t diagnose you or give you professional advice, but I can try to help you find some resources that might be useful for you.

First of all, I want to assure you that you are not alone in feeling this way. Many people experience existential anxiety or dread at some point in their lives, especially when they face uncertainty, change, or challenges. It’s normal to wonder about the meaning and purpose of life, and to question your beliefs and values. However, if these thoughts become overwhelming, intrusive, or interfere with your daily functioning, then it might be a sign of a more serious problem.

One possible explanation for what you are feeling is depersonalization-derealization disorder (DDD). This is a condition where people feel detached from themselves or their surroundings, as if they are observing their life from a distance or as if everything is unreal or dreamlike. People with DDD may also have difficulty remembering things, feeling emotions, or relating to others. DDD can be triggered by stress, trauma, substance abuse, or other mental health issues. It can also occur without any apparent cause.

Another possible explanation is existential OCD. This is a form of obsessive-compulsive disorder where people have intrusive and distressing thoughts about existential topics, such as the nature of reality, free will, death, morality, or the meaning of life. People with existential OCD may also have compulsions to seek reassurance, avoid certain situations, or perform rituals to cope with their anxiety. Existential OCD can affect people’s relationships, work, education, and quality of life.

Of course, these are not the only possible explanations for what you are feeling. There may be other factors or conditions that are contributing to your situation. The only way to know for sure is to consult a qualified mental health professional who can assess your symptoms and provide you with an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan.

I know you said that you don’t want to talk to anyone about it because it makes you feel worse and cringe inside. I understand that it can be hard to open up about your feelings and thoughts, especially if you feel like no one will understand or help you. However, I strongly encourage you to seek professional help as soon as possible. Talking to a therapist or a counselor can be very beneficial for your mental health and well-being. They can offer you a safe and confidential space where you can express yourself without judgment or pressure. They can also help you identify the root causes of your anxiety, challenge your negative thoughts, cope with your emotions, and find solutions to your problems.

You don’t have to suffer in silence or deal with this alone. There are many people who care about you and want to support you. You mentioned that your sister has suffered from anxiety too and that she finds comfort in discussing her thoughts with you. Maybe you can try talking to her about how you feel and see if she can relate or offer some advice. You can also reach out to other family members, friends, teachers, mentors, or anyone else that you trust and feel comfortable with. You can also look for online forums or communities where people share their experiences and offer support to each other.

Another thing that might help you is to practice some self-care strategies that can reduce your stress and improve your mood. For example:

Try to get enough sleep every night. Lack of sleep can worsen your anxiety and make you more irritable and emotional.

Eat healthy foods that nourish your body and brain. Avoid caffeine, alcohol, drugs, or anything else that might alter your mood or perception.

Exercise regularly. Physical activity can release endorphins that make you feel good and relieve tension.

Do something that makes you happy or relaxed every day. This could be listening to music
if you can't afford therapy etc maybe you could contact one of these helpline numbers
https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/guides-to-support-and-services/crisis-services/helplines-listening-services/
Reply 4
Original post by MolecularTwerp
I’m sorry to hear that you are having these thoughts and feelings that are making you question your existence and the world around you. It sounds like you are going through a lot of stress and anxiety, and you don’t feel comfortable talking to anyone about it. I’m not a therapist or a doctor, so I can’t diagnose you or give you professional advice, but I can try to help you find some resources that might be useful for you.

First of all, I want to assure you that you are not alone in feeling this way. Many people experience existential anxiety or dread at some point in their lives, especially when they face uncertainty, change, or challenges. It’s normal to wonder about the meaning and purpose of life, and to question your beliefs and values. However, if these thoughts become overwhelming, intrusive, or interfere with your daily functioning, then it might be a sign of a more serious problem.

One possible explanation for what you are feeling is depersonalization-derealization disorder (DDD). This is a condition where people feel detached from themselves or their surroundings, as if they are observing their life from a distance or as if everything is unreal or dreamlike. People with DDD may also have difficulty remembering things, feeling emotions, or relating to others. DDD can be triggered by stress, trauma, substance abuse, or other mental health issues. It can also occur without any apparent cause.

Another possible explanation is existential OCD. This is a form of obsessive-compulsive disorder where people have intrusive and distressing thoughts about existential topics, such as the nature of reality, free will, death, morality, or the meaning of life. People with existential OCD may also have compulsions to seek reassurance, avoid certain situations, or perform rituals to cope with their anxiety. Existential OCD can affect people’s relationships, work, education, and quality of life.

Of course, these are not the only possible explanations for what you are feeling. There may be other factors or conditions that are contributing to your situation. The only way to know for sure is to consult a qualified mental health professional who can assess your symptoms and provide you with an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan.

I know you said that you don’t want to talk to anyone about it because it makes you feel worse and cringe inside. I understand that it can be hard to open up about your feelings and thoughts, especially if you feel like no one will understand or help you. However, I strongly encourage you to seek professional help as soon as possible. Talking to a therapist or a counselor can be very beneficial for your mental health and well-being. They can offer you a safe and confidential space where you can express yourself without judgment or pressure. They can also help you identify the root causes of your anxiety, challenge your negative thoughts, cope with your emotions, and find solutions to your problems.

You don’t have to suffer in silence or deal with this alone. There are many people who care about you and want to support you. You mentioned that your sister has suffered from anxiety too and that she finds comfort in discussing her thoughts with you. Maybe you can try talking to her about how you feel and see if she can relate or offer some advice. You can also reach out to other family members, friends, teachers, mentors, or anyone else that you trust and feel comfortable with. You can also look for online forums or communities where people share their experiences and offer support to each other.

Another thing that might help you is to practice some self-care strategies that can reduce your stress and improve your mood. For example:

Try to get enough sleep every night. Lack of sleep can worsen your anxiety and make you more irritable and emotional.

Eat healthy foods that nourish your body and brain. Avoid caffeine, alcohol, drugs, or anything else that might alter your mood or perception.

Exercise regularly. Physical activity can release endorphins that make you feel good and relieve tension.

Do something that makes you happy or relaxed every day. This could be listening to music

this was so kind and comforting to read.. thank you so much it means so much to me. i was getting even more anxious thinking no one would reply and i would feel even more isolated. the two disorders you mentioned- i do feel like the way im feeling correlates somewhat with them but at the same time its almost as if im two different people. when im suffering or having that moment (is probably one - two mins but feels like an eternity) it feels neverending however when im not thinking about it, im my normal self.

im not sure if im overreacting because i know anxiety is a normal thing especially since exams are approaching and i have A LOT riding on these exams and im extensively and obsessively worried about my exams (as most students are) and that is also normal to an extent. But the feelings i have had recently has just been different even though there has been no crazy change in my life.

I totally understand what your saying andd i probbaly should speak to someone but thinking and talking about it makes me feel like im doomed. idk how to describe it, i feel like im spiraling. but now i feel like im over reacting speaking about it like it could just be normal.

My exams finish end of next week and initialy i was feeling so incredibly excite dforthe summer and to be rid of school stress however now i feel as if im going to have too much time to myself and my thoughts- although i do hope to work a job and spend time with my family.

again i thank you for your extensive reponse and the time you have taken to say that- it truly made me emotional thanks so much again
Reply 5
Original post by yeet_21
if you can't afford therapy etc maybe you could contact one of these helpline numbers
https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/guides-to-support-and-services/crisis-services/helplines-listening-services/

thank you so much
Original post by Anonymous
this was so kind and comforting to read.. thank you so much it means so much to me. i was getting even more anxious thinking no one would reply and i would feel even more isolated. the two disorders you mentioned- i do feel like the way im feeling correlates somewhat with them but at the same time its almost as if im two different people. when im suffering or having that moment (is probably one - two mins but feels like an eternity) it feels neverending however when im not thinking about it, im my normal self.

im not sure if im overreacting because i know anxiety is a normal thing especially since exams are approaching and i have A LOT riding on these exams and im extensively and obsessively worried about my exams (as most students are) and that is also normal to an extent. But the feelings i have had recently has just been different even though there has been no crazy change in my life.

I totally understand what your saying andd i probbaly should speak to someone but thinking and talking about it makes me feel like im doomed. idk how to describe it, i feel like im spiraling. but now i feel like im over reacting speaking about it like it could just be normal.

My exams finish end of next week and initialy i was feeling so incredibly excite dforthe summer and to be rid of school stress however now i feel as if im going to have too much time to myself and my thoughts- although i do hope to work a job and spend time with my family.

again i thank you for your extensive reponse and the time you have taken to say that- it truly made me emotional thanks so much again

You’re very welcome. I’m glad that my reply was helpful and comforting to you. I’m happy that you decided to share your feelings and thoughts with me. I know it’s not easy to do that.

I don’t think you are overreacting or being normal. I think you are just being human. Anxiety is a normal and natural response to stress and uncertainty, but it can also become a problem when it interferes with your life and well-being. It’s okay to feel anxious sometimes, but it’s not okay to suffer in silence or ignore your mental health.

I understand that thinking and talking about it makes you feel like you are doomed or spiraling. That’s because your brain is trying to protect you from the things that scare you or make you uncomfortable. But sometimes, the best way to overcome your fears is to face them head-on, with courage and compassion. By talking to someone who can listen and support you, you can gain a new perspective, challenge your negative thoughts, and find new ways to cope.

I’m not saying that talking to someone will magically solve all your problems or make your anxiety disappear. It will take time, effort, and patience to heal and grow. But I believe that you have the strength and resilience to do that. You have already taken the first step by reaching out here. That shows that you are brave and willing to change.

I hope that your exams go well and that you achieve your goals. I also hope that you enjoy your summer and have some fun and relaxation. You deserve it. But please don’t forget to take care of yourself and your mental health. Don’t let your thoughts and feelings overwhelm you or isolate you. Remember that you are not alone, and that there are people who care about you and want to help you.

If you ever need someone to talk to again, please feel free to message me anytime. I’m always here for you. You can also check out some of the resources that I mentioned in my previous message, such as online forums, communities, or helplines. They might be useful for you as well.

Thank you for trusting me with your story. I wish you all the best. Take care of yourself.
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest