The Student Room Group

Why I'm deeply against gay marriage.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 360
Original post by pg_maths
No such thing as same-sex couples which are parents. It is biologically impossible.

No it isn't.
How dare you cheapen the role of a mother to a child and equate it with a pair of homosexuals

As I've said before, whilst I fully respect the fact that you are entitled to your own opinion, I fail to see in what way a same-sex couple are any less capable of raising a child then a heterosexual couple.
Reply 362
Original post by shadowdweller
As I've said before, whilst I fully respect the fact that you are entitled to your own opinion, I fail to see in what way a same-sex couple are any less capable of raising a child then a heterosexual couple.

A child needs its mother and father. You don't seem to get that.
Reply 363
Will you all please stop feeding this vile little troll. S/he hasn't said anything new for weeks...

Well why don't you explain it then, instead of throwing insults at anyone who questions you're opinion!

I personally believe that a child would benefit more from a stable family, be that a mother and a father, a single parent, or a same-sex couple
How dare you cheapen the role of a mother to a child and equate it with a pair of homosexuals

Okay, short of breast feeding and the obvious BIOLOGICAL impossibilities, tell me ONE thing that a gay man or women couldn't do for a child that a straight man or woman could?

I'm not "cheapening" mothers, I'm promoting a liberal view of the world where I hope that people can recognize that it doesn't matter what the origin of the love and nurture a child needs to flourish is.

The angrier you get the less cogent your argument becomes - just cool off for a minute, it's a debate not a slagging match, just because my views are different to yours doesn't mean I'm trying to cheapen them.
Original post by mmmpie
Will you all please stop feeding this vile little troll. S/he hasn't said anything new for weeks...

Good idea, I need to go to bed anyway!
Reply 368
Original post by arcturus7
Okay, short of breast feeding and the obvious BIOLOGICAL impossibilities, tell me ONE thing that a gay man or women couldn't do for a child that a straight man or woman could?

oh you think parenting is just a list of tasks or list of bills?

I'm not "cheapening" mothers, I'm promoting a liberal view of the world where I hope that people can recognize that it doesn't matter what the origin of the love and nurture a child needs to flourish is.

you are cheapening the role of a mother. It's not just homosexuals that can't replace a mother, a father can't replace a mother either, nor any grandparents. So how dare you be so dismissive of mothers.
Reply 369

It is providing love and support to a child.

you are cheapening the role of a mother. It's not just homosexuals that can't replace a mother, a father can't replace a mother either, nor any grandparents. So how dare you be so dismissive of mothers.

What does a mother do that a father cannot do? You might say provide a maternal influence, but then what if the mother just isn't particularly maternal (as is often the case - my own mother was never the most maternal or affectionate).

The important thing is for a child to be loved and ideally have two parents.
Reply 370
Original post by River85
It is providing love and support to a child.

What does a mother do that a father cannot do? You might say provide a maternal influence, but then what if the mother just isn't particularly maternal (as is often the case - my own mother was never the most maternal or affectionate).

The important thing is for a child to be loved and ideally have two parents.

why two? why not one, or why not bring it up in some commune with many parents
Reply 371
why two? why not one, or why not bring it up in some commune with many parents

Well, ideally more than one for parenting is stressful and the emotional support of a partner is often needed.

Have you conducted any social experiments that show a child who has two parents of the same sex ends up "screwed up"?

And you haven't answered the point I made about mothers who are not maternal.
Reply 372
Original post by River85

Have you conducted any social experiments that show a child who has two parents of the same sex ends up "screwed up"?

oh it will all come out in the wash one day when these kids will grow up and tell their story
Reply 373
oh it will all come out in the wash one day when these kids will grow up and tell their story

Really....

You still haven't replied to the point I made about mothers not being maternal (and many points that have been made by me and other members for that matter).
Reply 374
Original post by River85
Really....

You still haven't replied to the point I made about mothers not being maternal (and many points that have been made by me and other members for that matter).

Don't put your mother's issues on all mothers out there.

Answer the question - what can a homosexual parent do that the heterosexual equivalent can't? I know that being a parent is more than a list of tasks and bills. Please don't talk to me as though I'm being stupid, I know how hard it is to be a parent. I also know you don't need to be heterosexual to excel at it.

If you want to believe I'm cheapening the role then that's fine - I disagree with you wholeheartedly. Every child should have the opportunity to have a mother, I agree, however some don't. Some children lose their mothers, some are abused by them, some are just not wanted by them. If this never happened, then this discussion wouldn't be happening. However I firmly believe that if the child is already without parents, surely a same sex couple is better than none. It's not as if homosexual couples go around trying to WIN children from people, they're taking in children which already have no parents. They're opening their hearts and homes to vulnerable children with nothing in the hopes of making their lives better, and you still condemn them. Ridiculous.
Reply 376
Don't put your mother's issues on all mothers out there.

My mother doesn't have "issues". I'm just saying that many mothers are not very paternal, yet their children can still become full functioning and healthy members of society.

Why does a child need a mother?

Also the points made about reproduction, post-menopausal women and infertile couples. They certainly cause a philosophical problem to your concept of marriage.
Reply 377
Original post by arcturus7
Answer the question - what can a homosexual parent do that the heterosexual equivalent can't?

there is no equivalence

Every child should have the opportunity to have a mother, I agree,

then presumably you disagree with the elton john situation
Reply 378
Original post by River85

Why does a child need a mother?

because no child would be born without one, did no one teach you this?
Reply 379
because no child would be born without one, did no one teach you this?

I realise that a ovum is necessary for fertilisation, yes. That doesn't answer my question which is centred on what happens after birth, namely emotional development.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending