The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Would you be offended if I refused to eat Halal?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jacob :)
I'm all for humane animal slaughter so I'd avoid eating anything I have evidence that suggests it has been killed cruely.

Sure thing, then are you a vegetarian? Honestly asking, as, if an animal was killed humanely, it probably lived in inhumane, horrendous conditions. So do you only eat free range chicken? If not why care how killed when the chicken (for example )may have been jam packed into those rooms. Can't even walk.
Original post by pomegranat0

but can you understand before stun guns, in the west, animals were shot in the head? Ive seen videos of it. BBC. don't worry, im western myself, black caribbean so im not 'anti-western' or anything. compared to hundreds of years beforehand, halal meat was more humane than a gunshot to the face. So why fuss now stun guns have come about. This is why I believe people just want to jump on an Islamophobic media frenzy against anything Islamic. I've experienced it with my own family so I can talk.

I'm not sure I follow. If there's a new, less painful method, it should be used. The mere fact that it used to be the most humane method (I've no idea if this is so) doesn't mean that it's still okay.
Original post by askew116
anyone who's muslim, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the way I see it:

The usual method for slaughtering non-halal meat is to stun the animal, and then slit it's throat. The stunning beforehand means it feels virtually no pain.

Halal meat skips the stunning method, because a prayer has to be said whilst the animal is being slaughtered, and it has to be able to hear the prayer (note: hear, not understand :tongue: )

Therefore I, as a non-muslim will never knowingly eat Halal meat. When I eat at some of my Muslim friends places, I eat veggie, and the same when they come over to my place, I'll cook veggie for them.

Personally I feel that the Halal method of slaughtering the animal inflicts needless suffering, and so I don't knowingly eat it. I don't have a problem with non-Halal meat as the animal feels almost no pain, and I can justify the little pain it does feel (from the stunning) as necessary to spare it much more horrific pain from the actual slaughter.

So no, I don't feel OP is being petty, it's a genuine issue. I wouldn't phrase it quite like OP did (saying he doesn't like their God, etc), however, it's purely a moral/ethical decision.

What "pain" does the animal feel when it is slaughtered the halal way?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by balotelli12
I am not a muslim but I would leave. I woul not break bread with someone who approved of such barbarism.

How is halal slaughter "barbaric"?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by leah_morgan
Does it being halal really matter? How do you react to other foods that have Halal or Kosher on the labels? If you're not religious then it really shouldn't matter and you do have the ability to eat it. I've eaten Kosher and Halal foods and I'm not religious.
If anything, Halal and Kosher are some of the best ways to kill an animal for meat, they don't feel the pain because they're instantly dead (none of us know this for certain) Whereas is you stick an electric prob up it's bottom, that animal suffers for a while because being electrocuted doesn't cause death instantly.

Animals that are killed by ritual slaughter can be alive for up to 2 minutes (maybe more) once the throat has been cut. The animal tries to breath but cannot, the pain it feels must be immense.

A bolt stun gun will render the animal insesible immediately, ready for it to be bled without fear that animal will wake. up. This is becase as soon as the animal hits the ground, it's brain is no longer connected to the spine, nervous system etc ie all the parts that make it feel pain.

No-one sticks an electic probe up it's backside for it to be electricuted. This clearly show you have no idea what you are going on about and naive you really are.
Original post by TheFrozenLake.
What "pain" does the animal feel when it is slaughtered the halal way?

Posted from TSR Mobile

err...from having its throat cut :rolleyes:
Original post by pomegranat0
Thanks for your opinion, which is based on something, but others have no clue regarding what's humane and what's not. I've seen it myself having conversations. Stunning still hurts, people think its inhumane as stunning isn't allowed. But my opinion is why many complain on inhumanity, yet ignore the animal still loses its life and gets eaten. Even the conditions many are kept in! That's inhumane from a veggie p.o.v. But no big media frenzy over that.
yes, I know it's not everyone, its some people.

Yes. I eat cow, but I won't eat veal. I'll eat pate, but I won't eat foie gras. There's no hypocrisy here. The quality of life of the animal matters. It seems incredibly odd to me that you could say 'well, it's going to die anyway, so it doesn't matter if it's in horrible pain!'.
Reply 167
Original post by Jacob :)
If I came to your house for a meal and you served Halal meat which I refused to eat it would you be offended?

It would be on the grounds that the animal may not have been killed in the most humane way possible and I don't want to eat something killed in the name of a god I don't believe in and whose teachings I don't like.

So would you be offended and on future occasions would you be willing to cook me non halal meat? As some vegetarians will cook meat for their non vege friends?

Edit: Obviously, this is a question for Muslims.

Edit: Thanks for the advice on letting the chef know in advance. The only problem is how to know if someone is a Muslim. I know some people are very open about their faith but others are not. It might be seen as insensitive if I asked ever person of Arab/ SE Asian/ E African decent if they are a Muslim when they invite me over.

I think your argument is flawed since many animals arent killed in a humane way anyway. If you are that worried about the way the animal was killed wouldnt you just avoid eating meat? or wouldnt you make sure that you only ate free range, non factory farmed meat? In which case youd have to ask about the way the animal was killed every time you were going to eat meat.

Also, if killed properly (halal wise), the animals are meant to feel very little pain and the animal is not meant to be aware of the fact that it's going to be killed (to avoid it becoming frightened)

Another thing which doesnt make sense to me, is that you're bothered about the animal being killed in God's name. I dont understand why you would be bothered if you dont believe in him?

I dont know if I'd be offended but, no, I wouldnt cook non halal meat for you. Even if I wast eating it, I still believe it wouldve been killed the wrong way, so it doesnt change the fact that I believe I shouldnt support the killing of animals in a non halal way. If I was cooking Id probably not be cooking meat anyway, because I prefer not to eat meat. :smile:

Which brings me on to another point. I was pescetarian for a few years because I didnt agree with the way animals were killed. (I eat meat now, mainly for health reasons (but I plan to go back to not eating meat soon.)) Halal or not. The reason being, unless you actually see the animal being killed, or trust the person doing the slaughter, you dont know for certain, that the animal is being killed the way you think it is being killed. So although muslims still buy halal meat, it's on a trust basis but, Im pretty sure that a lot of the meat marked 'halal' isnt actually halal. As it's been found recently, there is pork in 'halal' sausages. I'm sure if you went to halal slaughter houses youd find they were not killing and looking after the animals in the correct, Islamic way.

So, I think if you are bothered about the way animals are killed, it's just best to avoid eating meat. :smile:

Hope this made sense. Excuse any (typo) mistakes. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 168
I've often said that I dislike eating Halal meat because the animals are not killed in a human manner, so I completely agree with you. However, when I have discussed my reservations with Muslim friends they have all been unable to see my point of view and appeared to be slightly offended. I couldn't blame them for that though because they associate Halal meat with purity, etc: if I was a Muslim, I would associate it with that too, but as it is, I only associate with animal cruelty.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I'm not sure I follow. If there's a new, less painful method, it should be used. The mere fact that it used to be the most humane method (I've no idea if this is so) doesn't mean that it's still okay.

It still is. The only difference is a stun gun. Please, where is the proof a stun gun is painless. It is not painless. I don't know why people concentrate on halal meat when kosher meat is the same thing, yet no big uproar. If its not halal, it may have been force fed, in squashed conditions etc. but it's A-ok once it's not halal ​how?
Original post by Guru Jason
Animals that are killed by ritual slaughter can be alive for up to 2 minutes (maybe more) once the throat has been cut. The animal tries to breath but cannot, the pain it feels must be immense.

How would the animal feel pain?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Error4001
I do apologize. It seems it was 900 million (halfway down).

And your issue is with the "pain" that the animal must suffer in the next few seconds?

You mentioned that the stunning process was "quicker". I merely queried whether the extra step of stunning was indeed "quicker".

It cannot feel pain because of the endorphin which is released. If you cut yourself, do you feel the pain right away or after a few seconds?

I believe that the suffering from having it's throat cut is superior to the suffering from being stunned.

When I say quicker, I mean the end of the suffering for the animal. A stun shot may cause pain for a split second and then the animal will feel nothing for ever.

Even if the animal suffers for 10 seconds under the ritual way of slaughter, why would I want this when it could be over in a split second? (I say this from a non Muslim/Jewish perspective).

I feel your last point would be vaild if the death of the animal was instantaineous. As I have stated, I beleive from what I have read that the time it takes for the animal to become insensible, let alond bleed to death can be a while so it is certain that the animal will feel pain in my opinion.
Reply 172
Original post by Jade1994
I've often said that I dislike eating Halal meat because the animals are not killed in a human manner, so I completely agree with you. However, when I have discussed my reservations with Muslim friends they have all been unable to see my point of view and appeared to be slightly offended. I couldn't blame them for that though because they associate Halal meat with purity, etc: if I was a Muslim, I would associate it with that too, but as it is, I only associate with animal cruelty.

What would you regard as "in a human[e] manner"?

A bolt stun gun will render the animal insesible immediately, ready for it to be bled without fear that animal will wake. up. This is becase as soon as the animal hits the ground, it's brain is no longer connected to the spine, nervous system etc ie all the parts that make it feel pain.

No-one sticks an electic probe up it's backside for it to be electricuted. This clearly show you have no idea what you are going on about and naive you really are.

Exactly this! Halal meat is cruel, the animals pretty much suffocates or bleeds to death!
Reply 174
Original post by pinkangelgirl
Exactly this! Halal meat is cruel, the animals pretty much suffocates or bleeds to death!

How would it "suffocate or bleed to death"?
Original post by TheFrozenLake.
How would the animal feel pain?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Under ritual slaughter, the nervous system remains intact. The time it takes for the animal to die causes it pain.
Original post by Error4001
How would it "suffocate or bleed to death"?

Because it has its throat slit without being stunned first.

Thus, it bleeds to death, or it suffocates depending how its throat is cut.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Yes. I eat cow, but I won't eat veal. I'll eat pate, but I won't eat foie gras. There's no hypocrisy here. The quality of life of the animal matters. It seems incredibly odd to me that you could say 'well, it's going to die anyway, so it doesn't matter if it's in horrible pain!'.

Pls take the quote marks away and don't push words into my mouth. You don't need to tell me the life of the animal matters. That's what makes halal meat halal. not just the stereotypical view of cutting the throat. Actually research it yourself as people are arguing, yet -as I said- don't know what halal meat is. It's not just how you kill it.

your choice to check this out or not. For me, I research stuff before I talk.

http://halaladvocates.net/site/our-resources/halal-islamic-slaughter/
Reply 178
I believe that the suffering from having it's throat cut is superior to the suffering from being stunned.

And how long does a chicken say, suffer for?

When I say quicker, I mean the end of the suffering for the animal. A stun shot may cause pain for a split second and then the animal will feel nothing for ever.

Any scientific evidence?

Even if the animal suffers for 10 seconds under the ritual way of slaughter, why would I want this when it could be over in a split second? (I say this from a non Muslim/Jewish perspective).

Only to be discussed once evidence for the above is presented.

I feel your last point would be vaild if the death of the animal was instantaineous. As I have stated, I beleive from what I have read that the time it takes for the animal to become insensible, let alond bleed to death can be a while so it is certain that the animal will feel pain in my opinion.

If I cut the blood flow to your brain, would you say that you are brain dead?

There was really no need to insult me on the matter. You've completely changed the nature of this argument by insulting my intelligence, which was totally uncalled for.

I do apologise if I had my information wrong, but like I said, there was no need to call me naive. I'm sure you're no expert on the matter either.
FYI there are other forms of slaughter that are on the same level as ritual slaughter, such as gassing. So if someone doesn't agree with the 'inhumane' way of killing an animal, they'll have to avoid a lot more meat than they'd expect. Plus what about the living conditions prior to the killing? If someone's going to complain about 'inhumane' killings, they should also avoid meat that isn't organic.

Latest

Trending

Trending