The Student Room Group

Panic in Cyprus

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rakas21
I'm pro-EU but i agree, Greece was incompetent before it was in the Euro (exports made up a stupidly small amount of the economy) and it was incompetent whilst it was in (binge) and so i'd have used the bailout money to protect the EU banks and kick it out and let it default.

With that being said however you have to see the wishes of the people to some degree. Now i know your Euro-skeptic and so you know doubt see the rise of Golden Dawn as a harbinger but actually the majority of Greeks still voted for pro-EU parties and when polled support was still at 80% simply because their memories before the EU/Eurozone were of a military dictatorship and then extreme corruption (by comparison Eurocrats suddenly don't sound half as bad).

There's a heavy objection to austerity as in France but as yet it's not filtering into any serious pressure to leave the EU because they still hope for the light at the end of the tunnel.

Oh aye, many of them are bafflingly still pro-EU. I go there on holiday fairly often and it's amazing how many of them still want EU membership after all the problems it's caused.

But Greece has been run terribly for decades, as you've said. Surgeons were paying the same amount of tax as road-sweepers, for goodness' sake.
This is in my opinion a disaster and a monumental mistake for the ECB, this levy is going to hurt ordinary Cypriots more than it will hurt the Russians of which they will be paying 2€billion (Russian corporations alone have roughly 20€billion in Cyprus).

The long term affects may not be that bad but right now it looks that Cyprus is pretty much screwed in terms of keeping money in Cyprus and they will most likely lose a lot of Russian money in a capital flight, yes the money is laundered but the Cypriot economy needs all the money they can get and this will do more harm than good i my opinion.

Cyprus should turn around and say **** off then vote to leave the Eurozone.
Reply 22
Original post by tehFrance
This is in my opinion a disaster and a monumental mistake for the ECB, this levy is going to hurt ordinary Cypriots more than it will hurt the Russians of which they will be paying 2€billion (Russian corporations alone have roughly 20€billion in Cyprus).

The long term affects may not be that bad but right now it looks that Cyprus is pretty much screwed in terms of keeping money in Cyprus and they will most likely lose a lot of Russian money in a capital flight, yes the money is laundered but the Cypriot economy needs all the money they can get and this will do more harm than good i my opinion.

Cyprus should turn around and say **** off then vote to leave the Eurozone.

It would be interesting to find out whether it was Germany or the IMF that pushed this because it smells like a German idea.

Given that Cyprus is both Greek and Turkish can they actually do that themselves? Or would they need the approval of both?
Original post by Rakas21
It would be interesting to find out whether it was Germany or the IMF that pushed this because it smells like a German idea.

Given that Cyprus is both Greek and Turkish can they actually do that themselves? Or would they need the approval of both?

Germans denied and then changed their story from what I am reading, can't make heads or tails of it.

Cyprus is a sovereign nation, they can leave the Eurozone if they wish, why would they need Greek or Turkish consent? especially as the Turks illegally occupy Northern Cyprus.
Teacher: Now then class, let's do some simple sums. I give you £10 and you take a £1. What do I have? Little Johnny: A bank account in Cyprus, Miss.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheFrozenLake.
Teacher: Now then class, let's do some simple sums. I give you £10 and you take a £1. What do I have? Little Johnny: A bank account in Cyprus, Miss.

Good joke however it isn't actually true, from what I have been reading (Telegraph being main English one) that even if the bank levy is applied, since the beginning of the crisis (2008 I think was the year used) if you had £10 in the UK and £10 in Cyprus, you'd be £2 worse in the UK today and £2 better off in Cyprus so you would not lose much money or any at all, you'd most likely still be better off after the levy.

I do feel that the EU/ECB/Bastards are going too far but if you look at it, savers are no worse off and will most likely still have more money than they did at the start of the crisis.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending