The Student Room Group

Sexism in Uk

Scroll to see replies

Can girls take their tops off in public?

*Not saying that I actually would, but is it legal?*
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by koolkate
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12771938

What do you think about this?

That's not sexism unless you claim the aggressors are sexist for not fancying men. They're arse holes who find someone sexually attractive and are being annoying because they know they can't 'have' her. Of course, they might be sexist, and I wouldn't be surprised if that behaviour correlated with sexist views, but the action itself stems from sexual attraction.

On that note, you could discuss gender roles in initiating contact, why is it usually the guy who approaches the woman? We all know that sexual harassment can be a grey area, some women play hard to get and some men just descend into pestering, and being asked out by someone you dislike will be annoying yet the same question from someone you fancy could be the answer to your daydreams.
Reply 22
Original post by edithwashere
Don't forget all the male bad eggs in politics too - Harman is by no means faultless, but I think there are a lot of sexist men in there, particularly amongst the Tory backbenchers.

Of course there are, but the OP asked me about women in politics :wink:
Original post by Hopple
Of course there are, but the OP asked me about women in politics :wink:

Fair enough! It's a bit of a silly question really, I don't see how anybody could argue that sexism doesn't exist... I guess the morons have to make their arguments somewhere though :tongue:
Wait til jreid1994 or truffle_girl get here, they can argue about how sexism is just feminist propaganda except for when men are the victims of it until the cows come home :rolleyes:

Do tell me, where did I say sexism against women don't exist? Double standards against both sexes exist, are you telling me that you think it's fair that men are financially forced into unplanned parenting? go on give me a good reason why men should have to raise a child they didn't ask for... I'm waiting... Don't say what about the children? Because for as long as abortions have became legal, so should the right for men to be able to opt out of parenting socially and financially at the pre natal stage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
The very fact that two girls at Glasgow University debating society were verbally abused because of their sex demonstrates that sexism still exists within current society!
Does it still exist? Yes
Is the problem less prevalent in the UK than previously? Yes
Is the UK far better than many other countries with regards to sexism? Yes
Do women who cry sexism whenever something doesn't go their way help the cause of gender equality? No
I get a lot of intimidation from men in the street where I live in London, whether it be shouting crude things at me or whispering it in my ear when they're in the bus/train/passing by.
Original post by koolkate
So I am going to write a persuasive essay on sexism in UK. I would like to know your opinion on whether you agree that sexism still exist in UK or not and please explain why? Thank You .

Yes it exists, and yes it is weird and broken eg;

Women want equal pay, but want biased rights in the court room when it comes to divorces and rights to children etc.

Women are belittled for wanting to stay at home and raise kids. If they are not competing with a man then they are nothing. :lolwut: Just look at this new incentive to get mothers into work. It's a joke.

Men are made out to be crap and have to do all the work in life. Look at every piece of media where the man has to prove himself to the woman and society(every Princess/romocom story), and look at the nursery rhyme "What Are Little Boys Made Of?". From the very start men are made out to have all the problems and women have none. That is the height of sexism.

So in short, the UK hates both genders equally.
Original post by anonymouspie227
Can girls take their tops off in public?

*Not saying that I actually would, but is it legal?*

So? Can I show my penis in public?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jreid1994

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, but you can show your chest.

Touche, but can I choose not to be a father?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Woah woah (*no need to be like that, I wasn't looking for an argument*). No, you can't show your penis in public, but I can't show my vagina either.
But you can show your chest in public and I'm not sure if women can.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by anonymouspie227
Woah woah. No, you can't show your penis in public, but I can't show my vagina either. And I wouldn't want to.
But you can show your chest in public and I'm not sure if women can.

Yeah, they can, it's just frowned upon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Touche, but can I choose not to be a father?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've already responded to you on this topic. You can decide not to be a father, yes. You should perhaps consider the consequences that you may become a father when you stick your willy in a lady. Because after that, the choice isn't up to you, quite rightly.
I've already responded to you on this topic. You can decide not to be a father, yes. You should perhaps consider the consequences that you may become a father when you stick your willy in a lady. Because after that, the choice isn't up to you, quite rightly.

So we should ban abortions then to only be used in cases of rape and incest then? Because it's your fault for getting pregnant?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can't really. The vast majority of places wont admit a male without a shirt on and it's generally becoming frowned upon in public too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, they can, it's just frowned upon.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Should it be frowned upon?
So we should ban abortions then to only be used in cases of rape and incest then? Because it's your fault for getting pregnant?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope, you're a numpty at debating because you never listen to the opposing person's point. Ergo, I'm not going to feed you anymore :troll:
Original post by RollerBall
You can't really. The vast majority of places wont admit a male without a shirt on and it's generally becoming frowned upon in public too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's socially unacceptable but you won't be arrested for indecent exposure, whilst a topless woman in public can be under current law.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending