The Student Room Group

Men have it harder then women

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emilie18
Of course it is!

Have you actually done any research whatsoever into this topic? I'm no expert, but even with my limited reading of the subject over years of sociology work, I can tell you there's heaps of studies which have been done which disprove what you're saying.

Girls are no longer expected to become housewives, and no longer aspire to be housewives. This change isn't THAT recent, it started a while ago. It's the reason girls are out-performing boys at [most levels of education] school and why more girls than ever are reaching management level careers.

There are SOME women (the minority) who are happy to be home-makers, BUT it's not a choice that is encouraged anymore. It's looked down upon - women now are encouraged to raise a family, but also have a job at the same time.

Each and every part of your argument is pretty much falling apart.... :lol: :erm:

The reason girls are outperforming boys is because of the advent of female-friendly exams, particularly topics like "how science works" and modules with heavy coursework components.

Anybody who thinks that the system has not been deliberately manipulated to this effect is lying to themselves.
Reply 61
Of course it is!

Have you actually done any research whatsoever into this topic? I'm no expert, but even with my limited reading of the subject over years of sociology work, I can tell you there's heaps of studies which have been done which disprove what you're saying.

Girls are no longer expected to become housewives, and no longer aspire to be housewives. This change isn't THAT recent, it started a while ago. It's the reason girls are out-performing boys at [most levels of education] school and why more girls than ever are reaching management level careers.

There are SOME women (the minority) who are happy to be home-makers, BUT it's not a choice that is encouraged anymore. It's looked down upon - women now are encouraged to raise a family, but also have a job at the same time.

Each and every part of your argument is pretty much falling apart.... :lol: :erm:

The only reason why women are more likely to work now, is because of the combined income it generates. If it came down to it, many will be stay to home mums.. Even then, if they choose to not work, then they can get away with it. I personally know tonnes of girls that have done this of all cultures.

It is however, still very much expected for men to work, and be career driven. Otherwise they are branded as a bit of a loser.

That is the difference.

P.S.

You are also clearly stupid enough to undermine the importance of what house wives do. They run the house, and provide a healthy environment for their children, husband. Better that then working like a slave in a faceless corporate.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 62
Original post by OMGWTFBBQ
The reason girls are outperforming boys is because of the advent of female-friendly exams, particularly topics like "how science works" and modules with heavy coursework components.

Anybody who thinks that the system has not been deliberately manipulated to this effect is lying to themselves.

Its was such a pointless remark for her to make anyway, who gives a ****.

Since when were exams an accurate measure of success.

If it were, there would be another female prime minister running the country right now...because obviously, women are smarter, right?

*cough cough*
Original post by fat_hobbit
Yeah, Sorry.

Women:

- Have a pressure to look pretty. But I have known many unattractive women who go in and out of relationships. So probably never have to face the prospect of dying alone. These include morbidly obese women. Who are in double figuers in terms of the amount of men they have been with.
- Feminism means that women are equal in terms of men career wise providing that they are as smart as them.
- Women are allowed to be emotional, when men are, they are considered sensitive and weak..
- Even if the girl does not have a career, and is a bit dimwitted, many can just marry a guy and get him to provide for her. This is especially true for the pretty ones.

Your ideas of the difficulties women face are exactly the reason why women DO have it harder.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 64
Original post by XxSophie01xX
Your ideas of the difficulties women face are exactly the reason why women DO have it harder.

Please elaborate.

And please dont be like the others, who are cant see beyond childbirth.
I wouldn't say it's harder for men than women, I don't have the experience to offer a balanced opinion there, what I would say is that feminsim has worked hard over the last 100 years to redefine what it means to be a women and in that task they have largely succeded, it's now acceptable for women to choose to work or to be a 'house-wife' or even both.

The problem for men however is that their gender roles have not been adapted to match what has happened for women. Essentialy men are having what constitutes an identity crisis; with women able to fulfil roles that they traditionally would have while women's traditional roles are still out of bounds to them.
Reply 66
Original post by mojojojo101
I wouldn't say it's harder for men than women, I don't have the experience to offer a balanced opinion there, what I would say is that feminsim has worked hard over the last 100 years to redefine what it means to be a women and in that task they have largely succeded, it's now acceptable for women to choose to work or to be a 'house-wife' or even both.

The problem for men however is that their gender roles have not been adapted to match what has happened for women. Essentialy men are having what constitutes an identity crisis; with women able to fulfil roles that they traditionally would have while women's traditional roles are still out of bounds to them.

I agree with this. But tbh feminism took things to an extreme.

For example you had posters in this thread, arguing over how women need to be protected against rape. What about those women who falsely accuse men of rape? Like what happened to John Leslie, who's career is now ****ed.

It seems to have produced a culture where many women act like innocent women when they feel it benefits them , one comes to mind where custody of the child is given - then act like men when that benefits them.
(edited 10 years ago)
We are expected:

- to be successful, independent and able to provide for a woman (if in a r.ship). Every girl I have been with, eventually expects me to pay for everything.
- With pin up boys like Ronaldo etc, the pressure on men to look good is a bigger deal now then in the past. So that they have a heads up in the dating game. A LOT of women on the other hand, can get sex much more easily then men.
- Acquire status, respect from our peers otherwise are considered weak.
- Not meant o show weakness/emotions to anyone. As a result men bottle things up more easily.

Failing any of the 3 (not so much point 2), the man is normally treated as a loser.

Do you agree that men have it harder then women?

Discuss.

I agree with you dude....

Also if your a guy.......you have to decide what kind of man you wanna grow up to be , good or bad character, either way your contribution to mankind is gonna change the world.....

As for women, well...hmmm
Please elaborate.

And please dont be like the others, who are cant see beyond childbirth.

Who told them to have babies anyway?
Reply 69

- Not meant o show weakness/emotions to anyone. As a result men bottle things up more easily.

True :emo:
Reply 70
Women are expected to:

*Be skinny, but not too skinny for real of being called anorexic. We're also not allowed to be too fat, for fear of being called..well..fat.
*Look like a supermodel, but don't spend too much time in the gym or worrying about what to eat. That's obsessive and boring.
*Be strong and independent, but not so independent that men feel they can't compete. Not so reliant that we're a burden.
*Be intelligent, but god forbid a man thinks we're more intelligent than them.
*Be ambitious and have dreams. But don't dare over take a man in 'his' profession, then we're just power hungry bitches. Don't dumb it down too much though, ladies, then you're seen as a bimbo!
*Look after ourselves and the way we look. No man wants a girl who doesn't care for her appearance, but don't over do it! No way, then you're high maintenance .
*Care for our children, if and when we have them. But don't you even think about being a stay at home mother, that's just lazy. Likewise, don't go back to work! What about your children!?

Being a women is a very, very careful balance. One tiny tip in either direction and we're pounced on for being too skinny, too fat, too intelligent, too stupid, too lazy, too power hungry.

I don't think either sex has it harder than the other.
The issue is the media and society portraying women and men as having to be absolutely perfect when in reality, no one is perfect. Models don't have perfect bodies or flawless skin, so why do men and women across the world try to attain the impossible?
Original post by HanAsh
Women are expected to:

*Be skinny, but not too skinny for real of being called anorexic. We're also not allowed to be too fat, for fear of being called..well..fat.
*Look like a supermodel, but don't spend too much time in the gym or worrying about what to eat. That's obsessive and boring.
*Be strong and independent, but not so independent that men feel they can't compete. Not so reliant that we're a burden.
*Be intelligent, but god forbid a man thinks we're more intelligent than them.
*Be ambitious and have dreams. But don't dare over take a man in 'his' profession, then we're just power hungry bitches. Don't dumb it down too much though, ladies, then you're seen as a bimbo!
*Look after ourselves and the way we look. No man wants a girl who doesn't care for her appearance, but don't over do it! No way, then you're high maintenance .
*Care for our children, if and when we have them. But don't you even think about being a stay at home mother, that's just lazy. Likewise, don't go back to work! What about your children!?

Being a women is a very, very careful balance. One tiny tip in either direction and we're pounced on for being too skinny, too fat, too intelligent, too stupid, too lazy, too power hungry.

The issue is the media and society portraying women and men as having to be absolutely perfect when in reality, no one is perfect. Models don't have perfect bodies or flawless skin, so why do men and women across the world try to attain the impossible?

Hmm, all that stuff u wrote is nonsene, who told u to have kids anyway? And why do u care about how other people judge you.....
Reply 72
Original post by study beats
Hmm, all that stuff u wrote is nonsene, who told u to have kids anyway? And why do u care about how other people judge you.....

I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at. No one told me to have kids, what I'm saying is that society has a way of telling people to be or do certain things, to act in certain ways. I personally don't care what others think of me, I've grown out of that.
My response was to the OP. He stated what he believed men were expected to do and I stated what the media and society seems to expect of women, with the contradictory advice often given to us through magazines, the internet, films, television shows, etc.
Reply 73
Original post by Algorithm69
All of your points are horse **** if I'm being perfectly honest.

Thanks for that well thought out reply. Care to elaborate please?

*Edit* I'm playing devil's advocate here. I don't pretend to give two hoots about whether people think I'm too skinny or too fat, too intelligent or too stupid. I'm merely pointing out that the media gives very mixed messages to women and girls growing up, leading to much confusion as a woman finds her way in life.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 74
Original post by HanAsh
I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at. No one told me to have kids, what I'm saying is that society has a way of telling people to be or do certain things, to act in certain ways. I personally don't care what others think of me, I've grown out of that.
My response was to the OP. He stated what he believed men were expected to do and I stated what the media and society seems to expect of women, with the contradictory advice often given to us through magazines, the internet, films, television shows, etc.

Tbh women's argument about looks is nonsense.

If looks didnt bother men so much, why would footballers like Wayne Rooney be getting hair transplants?

At least ugly women can still get into relationships easy.

I have certainly found that I am more image conscious now then in my teens, due to the competiveness in the dating game.

I also used to get a lot of **** being skinny. So had to go to the gym.
Reply 75
The only reason why women are more likely to work now, is because of the combined income it generates. If it came down to it, many will be stay to home mums.. Even then, if they choose to not work, then they can get away with it. I personally know tonnes of girls that have done this of all cultures.

It is however, still very much expected for men to work, and be career driven. Otherwise they are branded as a bit of a loser.

That is the difference.

P.S.

You are also clearly stupid enough to undermine the importance of what house wives do. They run the house, and provide a healthy environment for their children, husband. Better that then working like a slave in a faceless corporate.

Ha.
My mum's effectively been a house wife for the last few years, so actually I do appreciate hugely how much work it takes and I respect her massively for it. My two sisters also have three young kids each, so I understand very well how much work it takes to raise kids and keep a house. OK?

I never said that being a housewife is unimportant - I just said, it's looked down upon by some people and not an "expected" thing for girls to do. Don't make assumptions.

And girls aren't limited to (1) housewife (2) work like a slave in a faceless corporation.
Original post by HanAsh

Exactly. Different sexes have different difficulties in different circles and different circumstances. The difference in 'difficulty' is not large, and kind of irrelevant. A trait that a woman is expected to have, is one that a man is expected not to have, and vice versa.

Original post by Algorithm69
All of your points are horse **** if I'm being perfectly honest.

Read their last paragraph.
Reply 77
It sounds like you're trying to justify your own failings in life by pointing the blame at others.

Work on your career, ignore everyone else. Constantly whining about how disadvantaged you are in life is not going to help you in any way.
Reply 78
Ha.
My mum's effectively been a house wife for the last few years, so actually I do appreciate hugely how much work it takes and I respect her massively for it. My two sisters also have three young kids each, so I understand very well how much work it takes to raise kids and keep a house. OK?

I never said that being a housewife is unimportant - I just said, it's looked down upon by some people and not an "expected" thing for girls to do. Don't make assumptions.

And girls aren't limited to (1) housewife (2) work like a slave in a faceless corporation.

Since when has it been expected.

Talk about a generalisation.

You are so arrogant and patronising given that you are chatting to a man that doesn't hold that view.
Reply 79
Since when has it been expected.

Talk about a generalisation.

You are so arrogant and patronising given that you are chatting to a man that doesn't hold that view.

:sigh:

I'm not being arrogant or patronising, you've just irritated me with your complete refusal to debate intelligently, your assumptions and the fact that you called me stupid for no apparent reason :rolleyes:

Agree to disagree I reckon eh?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending