The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why does China have little respect for animals?

Scroll to see replies

I think it stems from their great famines in which such niceties were nothing but mere care bear fantasy's.
Reply 81
Original post by Gillybop
They do it in China, and Korea also, my friend who is Chinese was somewhat of a connoisseur of 'speed cooking' and tried to get me to love it also.

I was served live squid in Taiwan, which I didn't order, it was literally crawling off the plate.

Oh and in Vietnam, I went to a snake resturant and had snake served several different way, one was the beating heart in whisky.

Delicious.

Yeah my friend had beating snake heart in turkey.

Never mind boiling dogs alive, eating live cephalopod (squid andvespecially octopus)is pretty muvh the cruelest thing you can do food wise. They have a very advanved nervous system and brain function.

Was it where they chop its body off and leave the head and tentacles? I saw a video of that once and cried.

Those sorts of videos do make me want to remove entire countries off the map I have to say. These arent poor people who dont know any better theyre middle class and educated.

The environment would be far better off in years to come, and at preset, if Asia did not exist. But then island ecosystems would be far better off if europeand hadnt put cats and rats on them all. That wasnt rrally concious cruelty though.
Reply 82
I done a little bit of research into this, as when I was in china, the whole cooking fish alive and serving them etc was completely shocking, and the glee on their faces as it flipped around on the plate, completely deep fried really angered me.

But it stems from their childhood and education, they are never taught, or believe that they have life, like we do for instance, they are merely 'moving things' so when they bring out a bowl of live tiger prawns that steams on your table while they flip around, just look upon them as moving, the way a vegetable would wilt, and you can get an idea of why they show such nonchalance towards it.

I'm not saying I like it any more, just that I understand if now.

This. It's a whole different culture out there. I too merely see animals as just "moving things". It's just how I am. I am extremely misunderstood in this respect; many people think I enjoy killing and torturing animals because of my attitude towards animals. This is not true. I don't condone the killing and torturing of animals but if someone were to kill or torture an animal I just wouldn't see it as anything particularly serious. I would just call them a sicko and be done with it. Everyone else would scream blue murder and demand that they be jailed for what they did. However to me it's "just an animal" and killing one isn't worthy of any human criminal investigation.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 83
Original post by redferry
Yeah my friend had beating snake heart in turkey.

Never mind boiling dogs alive, eating live cephalopod (squid andvespecially octopus)is pretty muvh the cruelest thing you can do food wise. They have a very advanved nervous system and brain function.

Was it where they chop its body off and leave the head and tentacles? I saw a video of that once and cried.

Those sorts of videos do make me want to remove entire countries off the map I have to say. These arent poor people who dont know any better theyre middle class and educated.

The environment would be far better off in years to come, and at preset, if Asia did not exist. But then island ecosystems would be far better off if europeand hadnt put cats and rats on them all. That wasnt rrally concious cruelty though.

Yes, it was just the tentacles they serve, completely white, so I assume they have been skinned, my mates reasoning was that the tentacles on their own cant feel anything, but there was no way I was even considering eating it, I don't eat cuttle fish and squid cooked due to the fact I find them such incredible animals, so to eat one raw seemed barbaric.

The live food, or speed cooked is terrible, but how they prepare some of the cooked stuff is even worse, if you seen them prepare cat and dog for the pot you would never stop crying, it's the worst thing ever. When I went to Asia, I thought 'I need to try it, it's part of the culture' but my doctor asked me when I got my jags, he was very well travelled himself and he asked me if I'll be eating cat and dog, and I said yes, so he said well let me tell you how they make it..........and I promised not to even consider it from that moment on.
Reply 84
Your practice is worth learning, not only do part-time to earn their own living expenses, but also exercise their
Reply 85
The world is hungry including Africa, I read about how they were so desperate they had to eat monkies http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2150033/African-scientists-warn-eating-monkeys-apes-cause-HIV-epidemic.html

African scientists warn that eating monkeys and apes could cause 'the next HIV'

[video="youtube;219fSVLX0DU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=219fSVLX0DU[/video]

You should all count yourself lucky that you have Tescos and reduce yourself to eating anything that moves.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 86
Original post by Martyn*
They part-boil dogs alive in water to make them taste better for human consumption, their fur farms are shocking (apparently), and now they are using live turtles as keyrings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU1XGXMELyw

Of course, it is not just China. But I am talking specifically about China. When Morrissey blurted that the Chinese were a 'subspecies' for their cruel treatment of circus animals, he was branded a racist (not for the first time).

But live turtles as a keyring?! Surely, there is something stupid about that? My keys are always in my bag and they get knocked about. Imagine if that poor turtle was in my bag? It would be traumatised and probably crushed by bags of frozen veg, frozen chicken portions, and the odd pineapple.

Furthermore, In Mexico and south america, they eat what we consider to be pets Guinea Pigs roasted on a spit [video="youtube;SZ5rNDhOGNs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ5rNDhOGNs[/video]

Not sure if guinea pigs are just naturally abundant or if they farm them en masse.

What meat you eat is entirely relative. The recent horse meat crisis was a reflection of cultural sensibilities in this particular countries. In a country as close to us as France, they eat horse meat and as we know snails. Snails! The peasant food in france has become world cuisine now, although not the snails.
Reply 87
Yes, it was just the tentacles they serve, completely white, so I assume they have been skinned, my mates reasoning was that the tentacles on their own cant feel anything, but there was no way I was even considering eating it, I don't eat cuttle fish and squid cooked due to the fact I find them such incredible animals, so to eat one raw seemed barbaric.

It had eyes right? The brain is by the eyes so it would be like chopping off someones body at the waist then eating them alive. Although given with less understanding of what was happening.

The live food, or speed cooked is terrible, but how they prepare some of the cooked stuff is even worse, if you seen them prepare cat and dog for the pot you would never stop crying, it's the worst thing ever. When I went to Asia, I thought 'I need to try it, it's part of the culture' but my doctor asked me when I got my jags, he was very well travelled himself and he asked me if I'll be eating cat and dog, and I said yes, so he said well let me tell you how they make it..........and I promised not to even consider it from that moment on.

I don't eat meat except on special occasions when it is environmentally friendly and wild caught so don't think I will be having that issue :/
To be honest though animals in the UK are hardly treated well We just make an arbritrary decision that it is ok to be cruel to farm animals, or close our eyes to it.
Reply 88
the mainland Chinese common people are somewhat backwards thinking due to the government not encouraging their development. obviously the richer people are somewhat more sophisticated, and HK people don't consider themselves as "China Chinese" because they were under British rule so they are modern.

imagine cavemen looking at the animals moving; they would be fascinated just because it moves and they don't think as to why it moves, whereas we are more knowledgeable and consider why it moves etc...so its merely ignorance that they are like that, its not sadistic pleasure that they gain

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 89
Original post by Martyn*
Even if it is a cultural problem it still doesn't mean that they are not a 'subspecies' for doing it. It is completely barbaric in the extreme to rip the fur of a live defenseless animal and throw it onto a heap where it bleeds to death writing around in its agony with others of its kind. There is simply no justification for this, not even culture!

Martyn* for someone who claims to have Aspergers, you sure have a lot of emotional range and manipulation in your arguments.

Subspecies is a biological/scientific category word with absolute definitions not something subjectively employed when you like, if you're using it metaphorically, that's isn't a capability of Asperger sufferers.

Morrissey was a racist for saying that, he daren't say that about black or brown people would he? It's also a huge generalization to make as China has a large population, not everybody will act the same as people are individuals.

You seem quite insistent on your own personal view and not willing to hear anybody else's view however reasonable. Which means you're not really here to seek a discussion but seeking out people to agree with you. People who are proud of their moralizing are usually hypocrites because they don't have self-awareness like you for instance, being racist whilst also calling for animal rights. Can't you see your own hypocrisy in your cloud of righteousness.

You're here moralizing behind your screen, and now what then.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 90
Original post by Jem12
Martyn* for someone who claims to have Aspergers, you sure have a lot of emotional range and manipulation in your arguments.

Subspecies is a biological/scientific category word with absolute definitions not something subjectively employed when you like, if you're using it metaphorically, that's isn't a capability of Asperger sufferers.

Morrissey was a racist for saying that, he daren't say that about black or brown people would he? It's also a huge generalization to make as China has a large population, not everybody will act the same as people are individuals.

You seem quite insistent on your own personal view and not willing to hear anybody else's view however reasonable. Which means you're not really here to seek a discussion but seeking out people to agree with you. People who are proud of their moralizing are usually hypocrites because they don't have self-awareness like you for instance, being racist whilst also calling for animal rights. Can't you see your own hypocrisy in your cloud of righteousness.

well done, having a go at someone for having Asperger's because you don't have a valid argument. bit of a low blow there......
what makes your think you know more about it than he does? people with Asperger's can learn about how to use metaphors etc. shows how much you know :rolleyes:

why don't you stick to the topic instead of making out people are being racists.

the Chinese are cruel to animals (in general- before you start accusing me of being racist) and their own children, because they can only have one child and they want a boy, they are happy to dump baby girls on the street or drown them or have a full term abortion.
that's not racist, that's just facts.

stick to the topic instead of getting personal about people to try and undermine their argument.
Reply 91
Original post by Jem12

Then you have a very narrow view about aspergers.

Morrissey is not a racist. In context he called the Chinese a subspecies for their treatment of animals. This is not about race, he could have said that about anyone. Morrissey has courted controversy but he has never been racist even when they accused him of it by penning a song about the National Front. Are we also to assume that Morrissey is a paedophile just because he wrote "Climb upon my knee, sony boy, though you're only three..."? Of course not.

Morrissey said that the Chinese were subhuman because of their treatment towards animals. He did not say they were subhuman because they were Chinese.
Reply 92
Original post by Tim2341
You sound like someone typically western priviledged rooted in a developed world psychology. Most of the world have barely enough to eat.

Think it's because their agriculture has historically been based on rice farming as their main staple. But rice farming is difficult to grow successfully and when it fails which is likely, people end up starving and experience famine. So they have to turn to other food sources. Therefore they see animals as a food source. Those people with crude attitudes to animals are most likely from the rural areas, where they come from farming culture. There are lots of rural people in urban areas so you bring with them their animals. The cruel attitude to animals is probably same as the medieval attitude to animals, when farming was the norm back then. There has always been famine in China. Not just there but many other developing countries in the world. That doesn't excuse mal-treatment however, they should catch up with western ideals in due course. I predict. Just like with solar power and low carbon technology. Their government need to put into action legislation to encourage social attitude changes. Just like what happens here, champaign, legislate and then generalized social change revolutions take effect.

Doesn't take much imagination to work this out.

That is a separate issue. I would not begrudge anyone eating meat. Meat is meat. Let's get that straight. I'm talking about the cruelty towards animals, not the fact that they are eaten. I'm talking about the methods used to butcher animals, the treatment of the animal in preparation for human consumption.

Just because countries have famine it does not excuse this behaviour. The ancient Egyptians had famine but they never tortured their livestock. The means they used was to slit the throat, and cattle were so prized it was quite rare and butchered only during festivals. They did not cut off its hooves and let it roam around in its own blood. Being cruel to a dog was a taboo, and to kill or harm a cat was punishable by death! They maintained strict observance when killing animals as well. They did not skin animals alive. They killed it first in the only way they knew how. All that is perfectly acceptible for a people who had no other means of killing animals.
Reply 93
Original post by Cattty
well done, having a go at someone for having Asperger's because you don't have a valid argument. bit of a low blow there......
what makes your think you know more about it than he does? people with Asperger's can learn about how to use metaphors etc. shows how much you know :rolleyes:

why don't you stick to the topic instead of making out people are being racists.

the Chinese are cruel to animals (in general- before you start accusing me of being racist) and their own children, because they can only have one child and they want a boy, they are happy to dump baby girls on the street or drown them or have a full term abortion.

stick to the topic instead of getting personal about people to try and undermine their argument.

If we're going to get technical, technically, you're the one that's generalizing insultingly. You don't really know that they are all guilty of that the same way that we're told not to generalize muslims on the actions of a few.

I was simply stating my observations, my intention isn't to insult.
My definition of aspergers was from what the professional descriptions are including lack of metaphor and they can only think literally. I'm not insulting aspergers per se, Martyn* seems to slip and slide in an argument that displays more range and lack of mind blindness, he's reading beyond what is written in the comments which displays social thinking. That's the EXACT opposite of the aspergers condition.

[video="youtube;gdSzM3MHfOA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdSzM3MHfOA[/video]
Reply 94
I love how everyone on TSR has aspergers and not autism(same thing)...because they're obviously all like Einstein and Newton. I guess whatever makes their middle class parents feel special in a tough situation.
Reply 95
Original post by Cattty

I can think of worse things to hit below the belt like doesn't the moralizing 33 year old from Wigan get a job, instead of writing pointless questions on TSR all day. Is the man on the high ground living off social security benefits or off his aging parents.

Us students on our summer holidays have an excuse to be on here, we've not graduated yet.
Reply 96
Original post by McHumpy92
I love how everyone on TSR has aspergers and not autism(same thing)...because they're obviously all like Einstein and Newton. I guess whatever makes their middle class parents feel special in a tough situation.

Aspergers has been dropped as a syndrome now, it's not even classified anymore.
Aspergers dropped from psychatrist's handbook,DSM-5, latest revision of Diagnostic and Statistical Manual, merges Asperger's with autism and widens dyslexia category. It's not classed as autism anymore.

It's what people say when they want to sound clever. Like wearing glasses to look well-read.
Reply 97
Original post by MoTown200
Aspergers has been dropped as a syndrome now, it's not even classified anymore.
Aspergers dropped from psychatrist's handbook,DSM-5, latest revision of Diagnostic and Statistical Manual, merges Asperger's with autism and widens dyslexia category. It's not classed as autism anymore.

It's what people say when they want to sound clever. Like wearing glasses to look well-read.

I completely agree, I have had this argument before. People claiming to have aspergers stems from nothing but arrogance and a superiority complex!

No condition is more proudly announced than aspergers, usually followed by a list of people who supposedly had the condition also.
(edited 10 years ago)
Yes there is battery farming (which is now banned in the EU - one of the few good things they have done), foie gras production, bullfighting and stuff that happens in the west but most people don't agree with these things either. So to people calling other people hypocrites for insulting China's lack of animal welfare, you're wrong, I don't like animal cruelty anywhere and I'm not saying whatever cruelty goes on elsewhere is acceptable anymore than China's, it's just that what goes on in China (seriously, look at the fur farms) is abhorrent and worse than what I've seen anywhere else, there is a particular lack of respect for animals that is quite clear and seems to be an attitude that would barely be acceptable in 18th century england (the time when we were getting rid of bear baiting etc)
Reply 99
Original post by McHumpy92
I completely agree, I have had this argument before. People claiming to have aspergers stems from nothing but arrogance and a superiority complex!

No condition is more proudly announced than aspergers, usually followed by a list of people who supposedly had the condition also.

wow, don't know how so many ignorant people manage to become students........

Im guessing you wouldn't say people in wheelchairs are lazy or people with learning difficulties are stupid. but if its something you don't understand then it cant be real and your full of opinions on it.

what a load of ****

Latest

Trending

Trending