The Student Room Group

Why aren't there more White societies at universities?

Seems strange. What are your opinions?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Because generally Whites aren't a minority in this country. Those societies are for minorities to get together with other people from their country and bond over that.
In regards to your OP, surely there's no need for one?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by shadowdweller
That's more of an observation than a spam.

But in regards to your OP, surely there's no need for one?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why is there no need for one? The same question could be asked of any of the other race based societies.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
The answer's fairly obvious, whites arent a minority in the UK.

They are in some areas.
Original post by contrapositive
Why is there no need for one? The same question could be asked of any of the other race based societies.

You don't really need a society for majority groups.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
The answer's fairly obvious, whites arent a minority in the UK.

Whites are a minority in London and the BBC announced it by praising the diversity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You don't really need a society for majority groups.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not wanting to repeat myself, but why not?
There are. There is politics, and shooting, and rugby.
Not wanting to repeat myself, but why not?

It seems more useful for minorities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Seems strange. What are your opinions?

Why aren't there more? You mean, there are some? Yikes, please name and shame!

Posted from TSR Mobile

In what way?
Original post by Fembot
Why aren't there more? You mean, there are some? Yikes, please name and shame!

Where is the shame?
In what way?

It's a way of meeting other people of the same minority.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

This makes no sense though really, for two reasons.

A multicultural society is apparently the aim of the game at the moment. Minority societies only serve to create segregation amongst people.

Also, just because someone is of the same race doesn't mean you will get along. The diversity of interests of people of the same race is as great as the diversity of interests of all people. Yes, you can take a stereotype such as Indians loving cricket, but surely you'd join the Cricket Soc if that's where your passion is?

Don't even start me on Religious Socs. There are so many opportunities for people of faith to congregate that having them at universities creating further segregation is ridiculous.

PS, I'm not arguing at you specifically Shadowdweller, just at this notion.
Because other 'popular' white groups such as the SS and the good ol' Klan werent such a hit with almost everyone else in the entire fekkin world.
Original post by mikeyd85
This makes no sense though really, for two reasons.

A multicultural society is apparently the aim of the game at the moment. Minority societies only serve to create segregation amongst people.

Also, just because someone is of the same race doesn't mean you will get along. The diversity of interests of people of the same race is as great as the diversity of interests of all people. Yes, you can take a stereotype such as Indians loving cricket, but surely you'd join the Cricket Soc if that's where your passion is?

Don't even start me on Religious Socs. There are so many opportunities for people of faith to congregate that having them at universities creating further segregation is ridiculous.

PS, I'm not arguing at you specifically Shadowdweller, just at this notion.

I totally get your argument. I wasn't necessarily talking about cultural minorities, more the general concept, and why societies can be of use.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Where is the shame?

If you're the kind of person who'd be happy to say, "I'm in the White people's society," I guess none, but it sounds pretty repugnant to me.

And on a realistic level, what would you create one for, anyway? Please explain what a White society would involve, since you find it strange that there aren't more of them.
I think basing any society on ethnic purity is a fundamentally bad idea.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending