The Student Room Group

Answers please

help.PNGi need help with these. answers please
Reply 1
Original post by ngunn
help.PNGi need help with these. answers please

Which methods have you learnt for solving quadratics? Have you done any working so far?

EDIT: Oops I just realised it says by bompleting the square!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by alow
Which methods have you learnt for solving quadratics? Have you done any working so far?

EDIT: Oops I just realised it says by bompleting the square!

i dont understand any of it
Reply 3
Original post by ngunn

For the first one start by finding an expression of the form (x+a)2+c\left( x+a \right)^{2}+c where a and c are constants and is equal to x2+18x10x^{2}+18x-10

So, (x+a)2+c=x2+18x10\left( x+a \right)^{2}+c=x^{2}+18x-10

HINT: Find a by halving the coefficient of the xx term in the origional quadratic (which in the first question is 18).
Reply 4
are ok thanks
Original post by ngunn

Don't you think you should speak to your teacher then?
Reply 6
Original post by alow
For the first one start by finding an expression of the form (x+a)2+c\left( x+a \right)^{2}+c where a and c are constants and is equal to x2+18x10x^{2}+18x-10

So, (x+a)2+c=x2+18x10\left( x+a \right)^{2}+c=x^{2}+18x-10

HINT: Find a by halving the coefficient of the xx term in the origional quadratic (which in the first question is 18).

can you give me the answer to the first one so i can see how it worked please
Original post by ngunn

(x+a)2+c=x2+2ax18x+a2+c10=x2+18x10(x+a)^2+c=x^2+ \underbrace{2ax}_{18x} + \underbrace{a^2+c}_{-10}=x^{2}+18x-10. Hope that helped...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by ngunn

I'll give you the start:

(x+a)2+c=x2+18x10a=9[br][br](x+9)2+c=x2+18x10[br][br]x2+19x+81+c=x2+18x10[br][br]\left( x+a \right)^{2}+c=x^{2}+18x-10 \Rightarrow a=9[br][br]\Rightarrow \left( x+9 \right)^{2}+c=x^{2}+18x-10[br][br]\Rightarrow x^{2}+19x+81+c=x^{2}+18x-10[br][br]

Can you see how to continue this and find the values of x? If not, as Mr M said, it's probably better to go to your teacher.
Reply 9
Original post by keromedic
(x+a)2+c=x2+2ax18x+a2+c10=x2+18x10(x+a)^2+c=x^2+ \underbrace{2ax}_{18x} + \underbrace{a^2+c}_{-10}=x^{2}+18x-10. Hope that helped...

how do i get the two possible values for x from that
Original post by ngunn

I don't know what you're asking, sorry.
Original post by ngunn

That looks like it's MyMaths. Have you tried doing the lesson on there?
Original post by ngunn

Because if you initially brought all the constants over two one side, then you know that (x+a)2+c=0(x+a)^2+c=0 and you can solve this (remembering the +- when square rooting) to find the two possible values of x.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest