The Student Room Group

"Everyone who does not support homosexuality is not homophobic" agree or disagree?

First of all, apologies if I've posted this in the wrong sub forum. I usually avoid the debate forum but just wanted to see people's views on this.

So I was having a conversation with a person I met online and the statement in the title was one made by him. He then went on to say that just because he doesn't approve of their lifestyle it does not make him a homophobe because he doesn't want to do anything to make their life difficult. Live and let live being his motto. He also likened his dissaproval of homosexual activity to his dissaproval for people who cheat in a relationship. "It's not exactly the same thing.It's none of my business and I'm not going to tell them how to live but I'm not going to clap for them either"

Having thought about his views, I agree with him. He may not support homosexuality but he is not a homophobe. I'd like to see what other people make of this... so do you think his views are homophobic and do you agree or dissagree with the statement in the title?

Scroll to see replies

I think its a logical statement to make. I don't agree with homosexuality, but ill fight to the death someone's right to be the sexuality they're comfortable with. Live and let live
Neither.

There is nothing to approve or disapprove of.

Homosexuality is part of the normal spectrum of human sexuality. They don't have radically different lives to the majority of the population.

So instead of treating gay people like a different species that require my disapproval or approval, I treat them like a normal person.
Reply 3
I agree with the thread title, not everyone is okay with homosexuality and that's A-okay. That doesn't make them homophobic because they don't hate the person, just the act.
Reply 4
I completely agree with the statement. I feel uncomfortable about the act of homosexual acts but it's something they neither I can't change about them. At the end of the day its behind closed doors so I can live with it.
Original post by FishLover
First of all, apologies if I've posted this in the wrong sub forum. I usually avoid the debate forum but just wanted to see people's views on this.

So I was having a conversation with a person I met online and the statement in the title was one made by him. He then went on to say that just because he doesn't approve of their lifestyle it does not make him a homophobe because he doesn't want to do anything to make their life difficult. Live and let live being his motto. He also likened his dissaproval of homosexual activity to his dissaproval for people who cheat in a relationship. "It's not exactly the same thing.It's none of my business and I'm not going to tell them how to live but I'm not going to clap for them either"

Having thought about his views, I agree with him. He may not support homosexuality but he is not a homophobe. I'd like to see what other people make of this... so do you think his views are homophobic and do you agree or dissagree with the statement in the title?

I guess he's a bit homophobic then. What is there to approve of? Does he expect gay people to be celibate? What would they have to do to gain his approval? Most people object to cheating because it's harmful to the person being cheated on. Homosexuality doesn't harm anyone.

However, if he isn't harrassing anyone or spreading hatred against them, it isn't really a problem. Homophobia isn't necessarily a problem if you don't express it. I think he doesn't accept he's homophobic because it's seen as a really bad thing to be, but if you keep it to yourself, it isn't really.
Reply 6
Original post by Mankytoes
I guess he's a bit homophobic then. What is there to approve of? Does he expect gay people to be celibate? What would they have to do to gain his approval? Most people object to cheating because it's harmful to the person being cheated on. Homosexuality doesn't harm anyone.

However, if he isn't harrassing anyone or spreading hatred against them, it isn't really a problem. Homophobia isn't necessarily a problem if you don't express it. I think he doesn't accept he's homophobic because it's seen as a really bad thing to be, but if you keep it to yourself, it isn't really.

I don't know why he disproves. Perhaps he meant he doesn't support as in doesn't join parades and stuff. I was just thinking that if more people who are "against" homosexuality take an attitude like his to the whole "issue" then it would be better. I don't want to say that he's homophobic because he says that he treats gay people just like everyone else. Honestly he is entitled to his opinion but when and if he discriminates against people based on his views then I would consider it homophobic.
Original post by Ndella
I completely agree with the statement. I feel uncomfortable about the act of homosexual acts but it's something they neither I can't change about them. At the end of the day its behind closed doors so I can live with it.

You are focusing on the wrong things. What's wrong in the world if a man can not express his love to another man or a woman to another woman when you yourself are so free to do so to anyone whom you love without the world judging you.
Reply 8
No, that's not homophobic.
That's not homophobia, it's tolerance. Accepting beliefs and actions that you don't agree with is the definition of tolerance.
Why does it always have to be one or the other? Sometimes people don't realise there is a middle ground.

I'm not against homosexuality. I'm not for homosexuality. I accept homosexuality. A friend of mine is bisexual and I treat her no different to my heterosexual friends. I'm not homophobic.
I couldn't care less whether it is or not. The problem is around the connotations of the word. It's a bit like racism, people fear the word and sometimes with good reason as it can ruin careers, reputations and such like.
Reply 12
Agreed
disagree.

To me, finding out someone doesn't support my sexuality (bisexual) is awful. Like, you can say you're not homophobic but surely not being 'homophobic' means supporting the fact that sexualities other than your own exist?

If you disapprove of someone elses sexuality then, I'm sorry but to me that makes you homophobic/biphobic etc.
Reply 14
Original post by WitnessMO
You are focusing on the wrong things. What's wrong in the world if a man can not express his love to another man or a woman to another woman when you yourself are so free to do so to anyone whom you love without the world judging you.

Like I said, I feel uncomfortable about it, but I can't change that I feel uncomfortable about it. I think they should be allowed to express their love but not so publically - this goes for heterosexual couples as well. I just don't like PDAs tbh.
That's the exact kind of attitude we need more of.
Not everyone is going to think in the same way, but if people simply come to terms with that and ignore the things that they find distasteful the world will be much better.
I find it nauseating and vomit inducing but I also support full equal rights and zero discrimination .
Reply 17
Original post by Rosasaurr
disagree.

To me, finding out someone doesn't support my sexuality (bisexual) is awful. Like, you can say you're not homophobic but surely not being 'homophobic' means supporting the fact that sexualities other than your own exist?

If you disapprove of someone elses sexuality then, I'm sorry but to me that makes you homophobic/biphobic etc.

In that case pretty much every Muslim and religious Christian is homophobic.
I don't see how it is an issue if they don't harass people who aren't heterosexual.
(edited 9 years ago)
Agree
I don't 'support' homosexuality but If I saw anyone getting discriminated/abused or whatever because they are a homosexual I would jump right in and defend them.

Anyone who says you are homophobic just because you aren't all 'Gay Marriage WOOHOOO' is an idiot.
Original post by Rosasaurr
disagree.

To be fair, not supporting it isn't the same as disapproving of it; not supporting it, at least as far as I'm concerned, means you don't go out of your way to campaign for LGBT rights for example which is where I fit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending