The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why do people defend Islam?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KingBradly
If you aren't going to bother looking for evidence yourself then clearly you're not interested in learning anything and so I fail to see why you bother to argue with me in the first place. Many of the unpleasant quotes from the Quran or the Bukhari Hadith have been posted over and over again on this forum, I'm sure you've seen them. And I'm fairly sure its pretty easy for you to google 'iran stoning', 'Women rights Saudi Arabia' or 'Taliban treatment of women' and I'm sure you're perfectly capable of reading through the vast number of news stories. If you can't be bothered to do that yourself, then clearly nothing I say or do is going to change your mind anyway.

There is no evidence stating women are not allowed an education, however there is evidence that tells us islam raised the rank of women as before islam girls were buried alive, Islam stopped that, islam treats women with more kindness than any other people have ever done and holds them at such a high rank.

And what has Taliban's treatment of women got to do with islam, how can that even be generalised? People may portray islam in a wrong way that does not mean islam tells them to do that. Islam can't control the free will of people if terrorists choose to go out and cause harm to people and claim to do it for islam that does not mean islam encourages them to do it. Islam has nothing to do with it
It is their claim and it is also true. If Islam didn't exist then the Taliban, Al Qaeda, Boko Haram, and Sharia Law wouldn't either. Nor would 9/11 or the 7/7 bombings have happened.

Nonsense. It would all still exist, but under a different guise.
Original post by ash92:)
Nonsense. It would all still exist, but under a different guise.

I highly doubt that it would exist and pose the same threat to the western world as it does today.
Reply 43
It is their claim and it is also true. If Islam didn't exist then the Taliban, Al Qaeda, Boko Haram, and Sharia Law wouldn't either. Nor would 9/11 or the 7/7 bombings have happened.

If it didn't exist then people would have still found something to blame.

LOL you are kidding me if you still believe 9/11 was a terrorist attack by Muslims. It has been proven that it was an inside job.
Original post by ThatPerson
I highly doubt that it would exist and pose the same threat to the western world as it does today.

It most likely would, but the reason put forth would vary (hence 'guise') and thus the group of people influenced by defamation would by lesser, more isolated. The reasons given by terrorists are often sociopolitical, and these issues would remain regardless of religion's existence.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 45
I'm sure I'll get plenty of lovely responses to this...

Islam, like it's prequel Christianity, is an abhorrent, loony ideology. Both religions share equally demented and malicious Gods. Islam is even more fun though because instead of having a possibly slightly schizophrenic hippie dude as its prophet it has a murderous warlord.

Stephen Fry got attacked for tweeting: (regarding Muslims) "Oh, have a look around the world and see them slaughtering each other, let alone others. So charming to women too …"

The fact is though, what he said deserves to be defended. Name one Islamic country which practices good civil rights, maintains egalitarianism, and supports even half decent LGBT rights.

If you defend Islam you either realize you are defending a poisonous ideology and you are therefore amoral, or you are simply delusional.

Defense for Islam usually reminds me of the kind of short-sighted misinformation that racists use to defend their own absurd theories such as holocaust denial.

A common very defense for Islam I have heard usually goes along the lines of "Western countries have far higher rapes of rate than Islamic countries. Saudi Arabia has one of the lowest rates of rape in the world".

Now, if you say this, you are either unintelligent, or you are knowingly spouting rubbish at the expense of the masses of women who are beaten up, raped, and tortured every day in countries such as Iran, Afghanistan, and the KSA.

The reason why rape and domestic violence may appear higher in the West is of course because women aren't usually afraid to report the crimes. In most countries in the Middle-East a woman will usually only be ridiculed for reporting being raped or beaten, or in the case of being raped she may actually be punished, either by state law or family.

It is undeniable that Islam has done absolutely nothing to help women or homosexuals in the Middle East, South East Asia, and Africa. It has just been used as a tool to suppress these demographics more then they ever have been and give them absolutely no voice, no education, and no freedom.

Please lets stop the acceptance of this poisonous ideology. It deserves no excuses.

Have you genuinely got nothing better to do then to sit online and try to get people to hate you. You must have one veeerrrryy sad life.
It most likely would, but the reason put forth would vary (hence 'guise') and thus the group of people influenced by defamation would by lesser, more isolated. The reasons given by terrorists are often sociopolitical, and these issues would remain regardless of religion's existence.

Extreme religion holds a different kind of influence on people compared to other extreme ideologies because religion.

People are often more offended when their religion is attacked compared to any other belief that the hold, and therefore their reaction would be correspondingly larger and stronger.

It's also easier to unite people under the pretence of religion because of the sense of community and fellowship that it brings.
Original post by DanyaI
Have you genuinely got nothing better to do then to sit online and try to get people to hate you. You must have one veeerrrryy sad life.

:facepalm2: You have a very compelling argument.
Extreme religion holds a different kind of influence on people compared to other extreme ideologies because religion.

People are often more offended when their religion is attacked compared to any other belief that the hold, and therefore their reaction would be correspondingly larger and stronger.

It's also easier to unite people under the pretence of religion because of the sense of community and fellowship that it brings.

There are various examples to challenge this thought: IRA, Tamil Tigers, etc.
As said, the reasons given by terrorists are often sociopolitical ones.
Original post by amoo_h
Uh, okay?

I'm Kurdish, my parents are from Kurdistan, where over 95% of the population is Muslim.

Not that I need to prove anything to you, akhi.

lmao 'akhi' :giggle:
*Criticises Islam for being close-minded and intolerant*
*Is close-minded and intolerant*

You have to remember that the vast majority of Muslims find Islam to be an inspiring and wonderful part of their life and it moves them to become better, happier people. That is worth defending. Political Islam is, perhaps, a different story, but draw a distinction between the two, lest you come across as amoral and deluded.
There are various examples to challenge this thought: IRA, Tamil Tigers, etc.
As said, the reasons given by terrorists are often sociopolitical ones.

The Tamil Tigers and IRA confined their activity to specific geographic regions. They have not fragmented and spread across continents the way radical Islam has done.

I do agree with you that some terrorists will use any belief to further their cause, but I disagree that the amount of terrorism would remain the same.
Reply 52
We were told about people like you, there isn't anything anyone can do, that hasn't been done to us before. So go ahead, do as you please, but one day you will realise your mistakes and your ignorant choices and that day, it will be little too late.
The Tamil Tigers and IRA confined their activity to specific geographic regions. They have not fragmented and spread across continents the way radical Islam has done.

I do agree with you that some terrorists will use any belief to further their cause, but I disagree that the amount of terrorism would remain the same.

That's what I'm saying. Had religion not existed, terrorists would still exist but the group from which they come from/ascribe to would be smaller and more isolated. Thus, the IRA changed the British perceptions of the Irish, not the Roman Catholics as a whole.

My argument was that terrorism would still exist, as would deluded individuals, regardless of religion.
Reply 54
Original post by Asariond
*Criticises Islam for being close-minded and intolerant*
*Is close-minded and intolerant*

You have to remember that the vast majority of Muslims find Islam to be an inspiring and wonderful part of their life and it moves them to become better, happier people. That is worth defending. Political Islam is, perhaps, a different story, but draw a distinction between the two, lest you come across as amoral and deluded.

One thing I agree with you.

if athiesm didnt exist, stalin wouldnt have killed 20 million people.

if christianity didnt exist, the KKK wouldnt have burned and hanged black people alive, and babys heads wouldnt be bashed against wall and women wouldnt be raped by the crusaders.

if buddhism didnt exist, muslims wouldnt be burnt alive in burma.

if you are gonna say that, then might aswell make a thread saying "why do humans even exist?"
Quite interesting....I am seeing lot of post against religions these days...
Reply 57
Original post by Rosie786
If it didn't exist then people would have still found something to blame.

LOL you are kidding me if you still believe 9/11 was a terrorist attack by Muslims. It has been proven that it was an inside job.

Ah... right... of course it was.
Ah... right... of course it was.

What were your thoughts on my post? :curious:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 59
Original post by presidential_
if athiesm didnt exist, stalin wouldnt have killed 20 million people.

if christianity didnt exist, the KKK wouldnt have burned and hanged black people alive, and babys heads wouldnt be bashed against wall and women wouldnt be raped by the crusaders.

if buddhism didnt exist, muslims wouldnt be burnt alive in burma.if you are gonna say that, then might aswell make a thread saying "why do humans even exist?"

I agree that violence and conflict will always exist. But by your logic Nazism is justifiable, and no one should criticize it. Clearly this isn't the case. Some ideologies patently cause more of a harmful effect than others.

Latest

Trending

Trending