The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA Food Technology Exam Revision Chat/Thread

Hey!

Is anyone doing the AQA Food Tech Exam? How did you guys do for coursework? I'm making notes right now but I'm stuck on modified starches/functional foods/nanofoods. The syllabus says we need to know the impacts on consumers and producers but my textbook (the Nelson Thorne one) has nothing on it. :confused:

I did reasonably well for coursework but I'm scared since the grade boundaries are so high :frown:. They've been at around 90% every year. :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

I did this exam a couple of years ago, it's not too bad (got an A*)! Just keep going over your notes and you'll be absolutely fine! And make sure you learn what you're writing for the design question as it's worth quite a few marks and they're easy marks as you can prepare exactly what you're going to write for it! Good luck! :smile:
Reply 2
Im doing the exam on Tuesday too, I got 89/90 in the coursework and whenever I ask my teacher he's always like, oh its common sense don't over think it. But we haven't done theory at all in the past 2 years. But I'm happy with the decorated cakes topic, easier to write the method and that for!!
You'll do great anyway, my teacher said it should be a bit easier this year as last year's was apparently quite difficult. Have fun anyway!
I got a B+ for coursework and I got a B in my mock but I'm hoping with revision it can be boosted to a high A so I can get an A in Food tech overall. I think I calculated I need about 90 marks in order to do this.

I guess it's just a case of buckling down and working hard to remember everything but I'm finding serious motivational problems as it's a subject I just don't care about.
Reply 4
Original post by Rothbard34
I got a B+ for coursework and I got a B in my mock but I'm hoping with revision it can be boosted to a high A so I can get an A in Food tech overall. I think I calculated I need about 90 marks in order to do this.

I guess it's just a case of buckling down and working hard to remember everything but I'm finding serious motivational problems as it's a subject I just don't care about.

Yeah -- a lot of it is just material you need to cram in your head. I guess I like the chemistry-side of food tech -- the chemical processes behind gelatinization, coagulation, etc. But good luck with your exam! :smile:

Original post by KaylaB
Im doing the exam on Tuesday too, I got 89/90 in the coursework and whenever I ask my teacher he's always like, oh its common sense don't over think it. But we haven't done theory at all in the past 2 years. But I'm happy with the decorated cakes topic, easier to write the method and that for!!
You'll do great anyway, my teacher said it should be a bit easier this year as last year's was apparently quite difficult. Have fun anyway!

I got an A* for my coursework but I feel like the decorated cakes topic is too broad. Last year (and for my mock) their theme was "biscuits for people with special dietary needs" and I think that's easier in the sense that you know exactly what they're going to ask in the exam. This year they could literally ask you to design anything given that the topic is so broad i.e. "decorated cakes for children" or "decorated cakes for the purposes of a celebration" or "decorated cakes that align with the Eatwell plate"..... good luck though ! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
I agree with how the topic is very broad, because it could ask us to design a cake which is suitable for a dietary need.
Hopefully, I can do well like I did in my mocks - got 104/120, just scraped an A*
Reply 6
I'm feeling quite good about this exam, I've done past papers and mocks and have been getting A*'s and A's! I got 86/90 for my CA. I definitely agree that the topic is very broad, however, I wish people at my school wouldn't think food tech is an cope out option or a mess about option, it's actually really useful and technical! :smile:
Original post by Random20
I'm feeling quite good about this exam, I've done past papers and mocks and have been getting A*'s and A's! I got 86/90 for my CA. I definitely agree that the topic is very broad, however, I wish people at my school wouldn't think food tech is an cope out option or a mess about option, it's actually really useful and technical! :smile:

Any ideas of what the big mark questions may be? Its usually about environmental, social issues.
Reply 8
Original post by Pikki1234
Any ideas of what the big mark questions may be? Its usually about environmental, social issues.

I haven't really thought about it, sorry. GM, food miles and religion have come up before so I highly doubt it will be about those. Have you got any ideas?
I haven't really thought about it, sorry. GM, food miles and religion have come up before so I highly doubt it will be about those. Have you got any ideas?

Could be something about sustainability...its quite hard to predict what may come up on a food tech paper

I think organic foods and/or free range foods might be likely. They might do nanofoods but I think that would be too hard a topic....
Reply 11
My thoughts: the fact that we didn't get a design theme this year means that people wont be as prepared for the design question as they were in previous years. So its more likely that people will get lower marks overall on the design question (which is a quarter of the total marks!)...meaning lower grade boundaries! :cool:
Reply 12
Say you got full marks in your coursework, what percentage would you have to get to get an A* overall????
Original post by Happy98
Say you got full marks in your coursework, what percentage would you have to get to get an A* overall????

I got 90/90 as well, isn't the coursework worth 60%, so I'm guessing you would only need to get an A on the paper to get overall A*.
Reply 14
Original post by schwarzband
I got 90/90 as well, isn't the coursework worth 60%, so I'm guessing you would only need to get an A on the paper to get overall A*.

So about 80-85% ish??
Original post by Happy98
So about 80-85% ish??

Last year you had to get 87/120 for an A which is 72%.
Original post by Pikki1234
Could be something about sustainability...its quite hard to predict what may come up on a food tech paper

I think sustainability came up in the June 2010 paper... it's unlikely they're going to repeat questions given that the syllabus is relatively new. :s-smilie:

Original post by jaipr
My thoughts: the fact that we didn't get a design theme this year means that people wont be as prepared for the design question as they were in previous years. So its more likely that people will get lower marks overall on the design question (which is a quarter of the total marks!)...meaning lower grade boundaries! :cool:

Yeah... :tongue:

Anyway, what do you / your teachers think is going to come up on the exam?
(edited 9 years ago)
Ugh, words cannot describe how much I despise this useless subject. Yet I have to spend today revising it... Great.
My school forces us into doing a technology which is the only reason I'm doing food tech GCSE. I'm guessing all of your schools do the same? It's annoying, isn't it? xD
We weren't forced! I love it! I took it as a more funny and enjoyment subject than my other options because I wanted to be able to focus on science and maths which are what I want to take at a-level! Why were you forced?
We weren't forced! I love it! I took it as a more funny and enjoyment subject than my other options because I wanted to be able to focus on science and maths which are what I want to take at a-level! Why were you forced?

What, really? D: Why would you voluntarily subject yourself to torture?
Our school just makes everyone take one technology. I am absolutely HORRENDOUS at all technologies, so Food Tech seemed like my best bet. As it stands, it looks like it's the only subject I'll be getting a B in, which is annoying because I was aiming for mainly A*s :/

Quick Reply

Latest