The Student Room Group

Is there something wrong with women who don't want kids?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by minimarshmallow
I'm living to make the world a better place for other people's children. I volunteer for a really worthwhile charity and want to work in a library so clearly want libraries to stay open.
It's not as simple as being selfish and living only for yourself if you don't have children.

Other people's children? Why can't you have kids and make the world a better place for your own kids?

Sorry but you're being a martyr for no apparent reason.
Original post by Mother Teresa
Other people's children? Why can't you have kids and make the world a better place for your own kids?

I want to contribute to the world by giving it something that improves the lives of others and I'd like to improve the lives of children (and adults) living in less fortunate countries. You don't have to be related, friends with or in a relationship to want to help the people in this world and care about them.

If someone doesn't want children for whatever reason then that is a good enough reason, you can't just have children for the sake of having them because that is ultimately unfair on the child. People who don't want children should not be questioned and told they should have them because when it comes down to it, if they were to have children the likely-hood is that those children/child won't have the home and family life they deserve.

Ultimately you have children because you want them, at the moment there isn't really any other reason to have them as the planet has 7 billion people as it is. By having children you aren't curing anything, you aren't solving problems or helping a cause, you are adding to the population which isn't exactly in need of anymore people. So until there is more of a reason to have children other than "I want children" please understand that it is okay not to want them as much as it is to want them.

As I said:
I think my children would be disadvantaged by having me as a mother.
Other people's children would benefit more from having me not be a mother.
I don't want to have children.

Why would I?

How am I being a martyr? I'm not giving anything up that I actually want. I am doing something I want to do (in not having children) for rational reasons.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 43
If a guy made this statement and was the same age and was equally as successful as Cameron Diaz, no one would question his choice. So why should people even debate her choice? I find it hard to even comprehend that there is even an article about this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
Kids are gross.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2676583/Cameron-Diaz-legs-cover-Esquire-magazine-opens-aging-not-wanting-kids-naked-scene-new-movie-Sex-Tape.html

Was reading this article about Cameron Diaz and how she insists that at 41 she doesn't want kids.

Got me thinking if this is at all normal or healthy to waste away a perfectly good womb for pretty much nothing.

I understand what it takes to be a career woman and I'm studying Medicine myself so I don't to have kids soon but I do myself having at least one in the future.

Common sense will tell you there is something wrong with them.

If a man does not want kids, other man can take over and breed many woman, so the population will not die out.

But when women do not want kids, then less babies will be born and the population risks of dieing out.

1 man can produce 300 kids a year but 1 woman can only produce 1 or 2 a year if twins:biggrin:

This is why men are seen as disposable compared to women.
Original post by Yokylie
If a guy made this statement and was the same age and was equally as successful as Cameron Diaz, no one would question his choice. So why should people even debate her choice? I find it hard to even comprehend that there is even an article about this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Clearly you have no idea of biology and how society works.
Read my response in red and get a education.
The only possible reason why women not having children would be seen as wrong for me is due to not being able to see their own children once they enter menopause.
Original post by lonttt530

If a man does not want kids, other man can take over and breed many woman, so the population will not die out.

But when women do not want kids, then less babies will be born and the population risks of dieing out.

1 man can produce 300 kids a year but 1 woman can only produce 1 or 2 a year if twins:biggrin:

the population risks dying out? Seriously? You've created some sort of 'Children of Men' type spinoff in your head which is completely ridiculous!
Also, you're talking like a caveman which is mimetic of your stance
Original post by physicsbook
I want to contribute to the world by giving it something that improves the lives of others and I'd like to improve the lives of children (and adults) living in less fortunate countries. You don't have to be related, friends with or in a relationship to want to help the people in this world and care about them.

If someone doesn't want children for whatever reason then that is a good enough reason, you can't just have children for the sake of having them because that is ultimately unfair on the child. People who don't want children should not be questioned and told they should have them because when it comes down to it, if they were to have children the likely-hood is that those children/child won't have the home and family life they deserve.

Ultimately you have children because you want them, at the moment there isn't really any other reason to have them as the planet has 7 billion people as it is. By having children you aren't curing anything, you aren't solving problems or helping a cause, you are adding to the population which isn't exactly in need of anymore people. So until there is more of a reason to have children other than "I want children" please understand that it is okay not to want them as much as it is to want them.

:clap2: :adore: excellent! Enjoy the rep, I freaking loved that - well said!
nah, it's not wrong... some women just don't want to give up the booze and fags for 9 months, can I get a hell yeah? :wink:
Reply 51

And, according to you, men being 'disposable' is something that should be encouraged?
Original post by pseudonymegg
the population risks dying out? Seriously? You've created some sort of 'Children of Men' type spinoff in your head which is completely ridiculous!
Also, you're talking like a caveman which is mimetic of your stance

Only reason you are here is because of what i said, your pc way of thinking that it is fine both ways would have led to population dieing out thousands of years ago.

Don't let my science get in the way of your pc crap
Original post by ilem
And, according to you, men being 'disposable' is something that should be encouraged?

This is all biological, you can bring in all the man made laws but you will never truly change human nature.

Women are built to have and want children, it is with in, the women who don't want to have kids are the odd ones outs, it is not normal!

People controlling population is totally different argument.

We're hardly at risk of the population dying out though, are we? If anything there's an issue with overpopulation.
Reply 55
This is all biological, you can bring in all the man made laws but you will never truly change human nature.

Women are built to have and want children, it is with in, the women who don't want to have kids are the odd ones outs, it is not normal!

People controlling population is totally different argument.

I don't care if it's biological. Bottom line is, attitudes like 'men are disposable' and 'women are more valuable' are vile and we should aspire to gradually change them.
Original post by shadowdweller
We're hardly at risk of the population dying out though, are we? If anything there's an issue with overpopulation.

What don't you understand? Women who don't want to have kids have something wrong with them, they serve no purpose!

You only here because most women wanted kids, this is why humans are still continuing to survive.

Just because there is over population does not mean my point is wrong.

Please get a science degree instead of the arts!
Original post by ilem
I don't care if it's biological. Bottom line is, attitudes like 'men are disposable' and 'women are more valuable' are vile and we should aspire to gradually change them.

You cant change biology by man made laws in 100 years, its the product if millions of years of evolution
(edited 9 years ago)
No, it's just a choice init. Not every women and men on this planet will be a breeding machine. They is other meanings to life.
What don't you understand? Women who don't want to have kids have something wrong with them, they serve no purpose!

You only here because most women wanted kids, this is why humans are still continuing to survive.

Just because there is over population does not mean my point is wrong.

Please get a science degree instead of the arts!

I understand that's your speculation, but you're yet to provide any kind of proof.

It's more down to the average number of kids than whether most women want them - if most women had 1 child, that wouldn't maintain the population.

Not really relevant - nor accurate :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending