The Student Room Group

If a black/white man was born in China would they be Chinese?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by imtelling
If the Chinese started handing out passports like confetti, like Britain does, they would no doubt see the Chinese people becoming a minority in their own homelands, just like the white British are becoming.

The Chinese are too intelligent for that.

Something tells me that there is no shortage of Chinese people on this planet, and never will be. :lol:

On a more serious note, China is a very unfree country in many and profound ways. Its influence in the world, politically, is not good. Britain's influence in the world is tremendously good in comparison.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ChickenMadness
Did you see my picture in the 'post a picture of yourself' thread. I'm brown lol.

Yeah but you're only half brown :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ana81
LOL most white British people consider anyone of colour regardless whether they were born here, to be a foreigner.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would like to see some solid evidence for a claim such as this.
Reply 63
Original post by AntisthenesDogger
Culturally? Very likely. Nationality wise? Yes. Ethnically? No.

/thread
Original post by Ana81
Yes because walking up to someone asking where they're from like they're some kind of alien would make anyone feel special, only someone who hasn't experienced it on a regular basis would see it as people taking an interest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol what? I'm white and I get asked where I'm from aaaalllll the time. Like the previous poster said, it's just someone taking an interest. If you get offended every time sometime tries to interact with you maybe you should stay at home

Posted from TSR Mobile
And the award for the dumbest question of the month goes to...
Unless one of your parent is a citizen of China it is very unlikely you would be able to qualify for China citizenship. This is especially so if you are not an ethnic Chinese.

It isn't easy to become a citizen of China even if you are a billionaire. You might be able to be a citizen of Hong Kong and Macau though as those 2 have different rules.
Only if they're actually raised in China. My mum was born in Singapore, but only lived there a few months before her family moved back to England. So, she's English.
Original post by Ana81
LOL most white British people consider anyone of colour regardless whether they were born here, to be a foreigner.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How do you know how white British people think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Oschene23
So many ethnic minorities always use that classic exchange as an example but the reality is very few people actually say that kind of stuff, this is arguably one of the most tolerant country in the world - your standard liberal teenager just doesn't say ignorant things like that, its just a stereotype which many people like to claim is commonplace when its really not. I've never heard one person ever say 'where are you REALLY from?'.

Well, firstly, I never said that this country isn't tolerant. Neither did I say this happened on a regular basis. I'm almost positive every non-white person has had this conversation at least once before. Of course you've never heard this conversation. If you're white and sound English, people won't ask where you're from.

Not sure why you're getting so offended by what I said. It does happen.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by felamaslen
Something tells me that there is no shortage of Chinese people on this planet, and never will be. :lol:

On a more serious note, China is a very unfree country in many and profound ways. Its influence in the world, politically, is not good. Britain's influence in the world is tremendously good in comparison.

London is now less than 50% white British. I don't think the Chinese will want the same to happen to Shanghai, regardless of their political situation.
London is now less than 50% white British. I don't think the Chinese will want the same to happen to Shanghai, regardless of their political situation.

The day everyone stops caring about ethnicity will be a good day.
Original post by ChickenMadness
The day everyone stops caring about ethnicity will be a good day.

The day crime doesn't exist will be a good day.....in the meantime, make sure you lock your car door.
>10 million Uyghurs are white and Chinese.

Nobody will ever know, because the Chinese are kept in chains by the illegitimate Communist regime.

The presence of people from all around the world in large numbers is an indicator of a healthy society and most of all, a free one.
Nobody will ever know, because the Chinese are kept in chains by the illegitimate Communist regime.

The presence of people from all around the world in large numbers is an indicator of a healthy society and most of all, a free one.

Ok then, let's swap the Chinese with a free East Asian country like Japan.

Japan is arguably the most advanced and modern society on the planet, yet it has strict control of its borders, like china does.

Yes, it allows immigration, just like China does, but retains its Japanese identity.

Japan is not in the absurd situation where Europeans are considered Japanese just because they live there.
Ok then, let's swap the Chinese with a free East Asian country like Japan.

Japan is arguably the most advanced and modern society on the planet, yet it has strict control of its borders, like china does.

Yes, it allows immigration, just like China does, but retains its Japanese identity.

Japan is not in the absurd situation where Europeans are considered Japanese just because they live there.

It comes down to personal preference. People in Europe and America like to keep their countries free for all to enter and live in as equal citizens, on the whole. The Japanese don't. My view is that national identity is something that has to occur on an individual basis, and not instilled or maintained by the state. And my identity, even though I have a British passport and was born in London, is not particularly English or British (though I do admire Britain). My identity is with the West. That is the civilisation to which I feel I belong, and it has no ethnicity - it is based on ideas.

I feel that my position is more optimistic than yours, because any country can decide to join the West. It is not about shutting yourself off from other people.
Original post by NathanW18
Being African or European does not mean you're black or white. You can be African and be white and European and be black. Maybe I'm just not understanding what you've written.

You're confusing the meaning between race, ethnicity and nationality! :rolleyes:
...China is a very unfree country in many and profound ways. Its influence in the world, politically, is not good. Britain's influence in the world is tremendously good in comparison.

I'm a British born/bred Hakka and is currently living the PRC and feels much more freer/safer than in the UK. I can walk the streets here without the fear/worry frequently having random racist chavs shouting racist abuse at me such as 'GO BACK TO YOUR COUNTRY YOU F***ING CH**K!' , humiliating me with racist 'jokes' etc.

I can fully trust the PRC govt to fairly punish people who commits GBH etc against me and my loved ones and not just get a soft 'punishment' such as a caution, suspended sentence, open prison ('holiday camp') etc. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
This list is definitely not exhaustive.

The PRC hasnt done anything bad to the UK or 'merica but it's quite the opposite! The Brits invading my motherland, forcing us to buy their opium, raping our people, robbing our national treasures and not returning it or selling it back to us at a rip-off price when it should be free of charge and with compensation, setting fire to our imperial palaces etc. What the PRC did is nothing compared to the Brits who is pot calling kettle black. Now the anglo folks are sprouting crap about our increase military spending/capabilities when us poor folks just want to avoid the extremely painful and humiliating history from repeating itself.
America does way more vile deeds but hardly anyone buts an eyelid; maybe they are better at disguising/hiding the truth or the europeans just take it easy on their own kinds. :rolleyes:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 79
Blackenese and whitenese :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending