The Student Room Group

Not Shaving armpits?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tnetennba
If it's unhygienic, why aren't we all disgusted by the majority of men - who don't shave their armpits?

Many people are disgusted by hairy armpits on men, that is why, I believe, many men trim their armpit hair.
You are entitled to find armpit hair unattractive, but the entire premise of these concepts is that women should not feel obligated to alter their bodies in order to avoid being publicly insulted or harassed - and that there shouldn't be double standards for men and women.

Also, there is no scientific evidence for your claim that underarm hair encourages bacterial growth.

'Double standards' doesn't work that way.

Men and women are different. Generally taller men are more attractive whilst height isn't as important for women. Generally more muscular men are more attractive whilst too much muscle on a woman is very unattractive.

These are obvious sexually dimorphic traits, and hence the reason there are differences in appeal. Another obvious sexually dimorphic trait is that women have much less body hair than men. That's why it's not such a big deal if men have some, or can even be considered attractive, but too much on a woman reduces her attractiveness.

And complaining about it is about as pathetic as a bunch of men creating a facebook group decrying women's preferences for tall, muscular men.
Original post by fortunesfool
I don't think it's vulgar, it's natural and if people want to keep it they are entitled to because it's their body.

They are, of course, entitled to keep it there. But many people choose to not have it.
Original post by EatAndRevise
I do believe abscess is caused by the inflammation of hair glands, and other related causes. Not by hair removal

That is where you are wrong. By shaving or epillating what can happen ,and most women will get at one point or another, is hairs start growing under the skin, causing pussy lumps with a hair inside them. If these become infected they cause abscesses. Part of the reason I had to switch hair removal methods, and very unpleasant to say the least.
They are, of course, entitled to keep it there. But many people choose to not have it.

Yep of course. I prefer to remove it, but if somebody didn't, that's their choice :smile:
Original post by redferry
That is where you are wrong. By shaving or epillating what can happen ,and most women will get at one point or another, is hairs start growing under the skin, causing pussy lumps with a hair inside them. If these become infected they cause abscesses. Part of the reason I had to switch hair removal methods, and very unpleasant to say the least.

Ok, but in that case, there are many other hair-removal methods out there. A few of which are permanent, such as laser hair removal. From that, I do not think that this problem would occur.
Ok, but in that case, there are many other hair-removal methods out there. A few of which are permanent, such as laser hair removal. From that, I do not think that this problem would occur.

Laser hair removal is a) very painful and b) costs a bloody arm and a leg

oh and also if you have fine blonde hair it doesn't work.
Yep of course. I prefer to remove it, but if somebody didn't, that's their choice :smile:

Exactly, there is no problem in women wanting to remove the hair. There is no reason for feminists to jump at it, and claim that men are lay to 'blame' for something which 'blame' should not be involved.
Just to clarify to the moron who mentioned freebleeding...that isn't actually real.
Please look things up on snopes before you believe them.
I don't think it's vulgar, it's natural and if people want to keep it they are entitled to because it's their body.

I completely agree with this. People are entitled to their own decisions about their own bodies, without being shamed by others.
Original post by maryamzahid
I really don't understand how this reduces patriarchy. same with 'free-bleeding'.

Free-bleeding? :K: is that as disturbing as it sounds?
Exactly, there is no problem in women wanting to remove the hair. There is no reason for feminists to jump at it, and claim that men are lay to 'blame' for something which 'blame' should not be involved.

I think it depends. Some women might do it because they feel it's expected of them by men, but other women (including me) do it for themselves. I.e I never wear short sleeved tops so nobody sees my underarms but I like to shave them anyway because it makes my deodorant work better and sweat can get trapped in the hair.
Original post by redferry
Laser hair removal is a) very painful and b) costs a bloody arm and a leg

oh and also if you have fine blonde hair it doesn't work.

Yes, but I believe the issue that OP has is that some women don't do it because it "empowers them". The clear point is that underarm hair is unattractive, and that is the main issue women choose to get rid of it. And not because of some underlying pressure which forces women to do so.
Yes, but I believe the issue that OP has is that some women don't do it because it "empowers them". The clear point is that underarm hair is unattractive, and that is the main issue women choose to get rid of it. And not because of some underlying pressure which forces women to do so.

Personally I think sore pussy armpits is more unattractive, but there we go!

There most definitely is an underlying pressure. Razor manufacturers (veet,gillette etc) create many shaming advertisements that clearly imply that women who do not shave are unfeminine etc. To deny this is just ridiculous. Even women who are not interested in attracting partners do it, to avoid being labelled as strange or dirty or manly.
Original post by RadishWadish
Free-bleeding? :K: is that as disturbing as it sounds?

its when the person doesn't wear a tampon or sanitary towel whilst on their period.
It is a case of attractiveness.

Men find women without body hair more attractive than if they had body hair.
Women want to find make partners.
Women know men find it attractive.
Therefore, women shave it off.

And it is unhygienic.

Oh that must be why my gynaecologist specifically told me to stop using hair removal methods (both shaving and waxing) because it was causing sores and infections :rolleyes:

Honestly I would love if I could just stop shaving but I know that I will get shamed for it on a daily basis and men will find me revolting despite it being perfectly natural and not unhygienic in the slightest. So I guess I'll just keep getting these rashes, ingrown hairs and infections.
This is a good point. It has been well-documented that hair removal (in pubic regions especially) frequently leads to open sores and wounds & therefore increases the frequency of bacterial infections. Claiming that women shave for "health reasons" is absolute BS.

Like when Victorians would walk around with a scented cloth under their nose for "health" reasons. Pseudo science nonsense.

Who's blaming men? We just want women to have the freedom to do what with their bodies. It's fine if women what to shave but most women don't feel they have that choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You just proved yourself wrong :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending