The Student Room Group

Benefits Britain:life on the dole ? Opinions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by elohssa
Are you sure they're Romanian? Sounds like Roma gypsies to me. Romanians rarely have more then 2 children.

Yeah roma gypsies, dont they come from the same country ? it is a p*** take what there doing but the government just let them WHY ??
Reply 21
Original post by IMBCFC
Yeah roma gypsies, dont they come from the same country ? it is a p*** take what there doing but the government just let them WHY ??

If you go back far enough Roma gypsies come from the Indian sub-continent. They have no real country of residence. They go where they can leach the most money.
Reply 22
I'm quite annoyed reading this too, but realistically, it's not like they'll have a comfortable lifestyle, £24,000 for a family of 13 is barely anything..

Original post by IMBCFC
What do you think ?

A romanian family in Rotherham live with 11 children and get £24,000 in benefits a year, only worked a month in the 7 years they have been here. Some other Romanians plan on living in the UK to get money to send back home to make ends meet. Wtf come into our country no work, no tax and send money to make ends meet in your home country, is it charity ?

Absolutely boils my blood, I work part time and study full time and both my parents work and we barely scrape £24,000, and thats all hard work no benefits.

So the Government just lets them get away with this all they do is go sit at home drink, smoke and go to the job centre, not to mention the increase in crime they can bring such as pick pocketing, mugging, aggressive begging.

Is this what the UK is now a charity for poorer countries, while the tax payers pay for all this just great isnt it ! :mad:
Original post by IMBCFC
What do you think ?

A romanian family in Rotherham live with 11 children and get £24,000 in benefits a year, only worked a month in the 7 years they have been here. Some other Romanians plan on living in the UK to get money to send back home to make ends meet. Wtf come into our country no work, no tax and send money to make ends meet in your home country, is it charity ?

Absolutely boils my blood, I work part time and study full time and both my parents work and we barely scrape £24,000, and thats all hard work no benefits.

So the Government just lets them get away with this all they do is go sit at home drink, smoke and go to the job centre, not to mention the increase in crime they can bring such as pick pocketing, mugging, aggressive begging.

Is this what the UK is now a charity for poorer countries, while the tax payers pay for all this just great isnt it ! :mad:

complaining about it is racism
Original post by Sigma44
I'm quite annoyed reading this too, but realistically, it's not like they'll have a comfortable lifestyle, £24,000 for a family of 13 is barely anything..

But you need to take into consideration that they don't need to pay rent or make mortgage payments which is what a large percentage of a families money is spent on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IMBCFC
Its not just one Romanian family its a lot of them who have came over by the 1000s. But come on £24,000 thats not pennies. People who work and pay tax dont even get that much !

Wait until you here from the Romanian guy who has no intention of working and is only here to claim £40k on benefits so he can build a house back home. I think he has 3 kids and sends home between 800- 900 per month.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
That's a completely different story lol, how did he manage to get £40k benefits.

Original post by miscounted_time
Wait until you here from the Romanian guy who has no intention of working and is only here to claim £40k on benefits so he can build a house back home. I think he has 3 kids and sends home between 800- 900 per month.

Posted from TSR Mobile

woops, wrong quote, but w/e
Original post by IMBCFC
What do you think ?

Disturbing (I do not mean the example you highlighted, I mean your post).

There should be a tightening up on issues like this, BUT you are a puppet who buys into the propaganda that is emanated from the political parties in this country. The tories use these stories like "the work-less are scroungers", "benefit cheats are ruining the welfare system for everyone", "too many people are claiming to be sick when they are not", "under 25's should stay with their parents" etc etc etc, I could list so many examples.

Since 2007 the government has committed to spending between £456,000,000,000BN and £1,162,000,000,000BN bailing banks out. (source: the guardian)

Spending on unemployment benefits is about 3% of the entire £115BN welfare budget which equates to £3,000,000,000BN, even multiplied over 7 years (the same period for the banks) it amounts to £21,000,000,000BN, somewhere between 1.5%-4% of the hole banks have got us into. Now that is assuming that all unemployed are Romanians on the scrounge like your example, I would be surprised if it amounted to anywhere remotely close to 1% which takes the yearly figure to 'folk like this' to £3,000,000 or 7 yearly to £21,000,000 compared to the bankers £456,000,000,000BN - £1,162,000,000,000BN. I know who is 'making my blood boil (it isn't the Romanians).

All the tactics of finding some family milking the system and blaming them and 'their like' for the ills of the country are a smokescreen used to divide and rule the lower classes so they do not unite and overthrow self-serving governments. They are obviously familiar with the writing of Karl Marx.

One of the few things that irks me more is that people lap it up and hamper the lower classes from uniting and holding these governments accountable.

Original post by IMBCFC

Yeah get annoyed at the Romanians who are not a reflection of all people on benefits. Wouldn't want to get bent out of shape at bankers blowing billions on questionable practices or the government selling off national assets on the cheap to make all their chums rich. It is those pesky Romanians who are treating us like mugs so they can send money to their family to make "ends meet".

Original post by IMBCFC
So the Government just lets them get away with this

The government are too busy figuratively caning the passive masses to care much. Unless UKIP steal a few votes and threaten their cushy job.
(edited 9 years ago)
The majority of the welfare budget goes to people in work who're not being paid enough by their greedy employers. The media love to pickup on a few fringe cases to demonise everybody who needs government support; the vast majority of which are genuine claimants.
Original post by democracyforum
complaining about it is racism

Could be, that's why you should keep quite and vote UKIP

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Original post by IMBCFC
What do you think ?

I think that 24k/year is quite a small amount for 13 people.
Original post by IMBCFC
What do you think ?

While there is a problem, it is a shame how the focus is put on small-time "scroungers" rather than people who are milking the system to a much larger extent. A good example is PFI's. A PFI is essentially when public infrastructure is built with private money - roads, hospitals etc. That means that these private companies need to payed back with absolutely crippling interests meaning the taxpayer owes private firms billions of pounds (around 267 billion to be precise) when the work cost a fraction of that.

A Romanian family getting 24 grand a year from the state pales in comparison to the milking of the state carried out by the very rich.
Original post by kumon
No problem with them. The way I see it, people at the top are ripping people off much more and they hold the power to change things, so as long as they do it, like big ceo pay packages, bankers bonuses and mps expenses, these immigrants who claim way less is nothing.

Wow. You really are a spokesman for the globalist cartel.

Do you really think the people at the top are paying the bill for these people or the squeezed middle and British working class?

Are you aware that the people regarded as people at the top, say executives on £500k to £1m pay hefty taxes but people worth $100Bn don't pay hefty taxes and they do this legally.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Original post by SpikeyTeeth
Wow. You really are a spokesman for the globalist cartel.

Do you really think the people at the top are paying the bill for these people or the squeezed middle and British working class?

Are you aware that the people regarded as people at the top, say executives on £500k to £1m pay hefty taxes but people worth $100Bn don't pay hefty taxes and they do this legally.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dickheads who avoid tax should be harshly punished, if they don't have a consciousness, they will suffer on later, trust me on that one. #karma
Reply 34
Original post by kumon
Dickheads who avoid tax should be harshly punished, if they don't have a consciousness, they will suffer on later, trust me on that one. #karma

What's that? You're going to run their mother over?
Reply 35
Original post by nohomo
What's that? You're going to run their mother over?

I'm not, someone else may run them over though. Leave their mum out of this, they probably sell their mother for profit.
Most Romanian's (and in fact Eastern Europeans in general) are not welfare tourists. Most are proud people and feel obliged to work for a living. My sister's boyfriend is a Romanian who emigrated here at the age of 19 and he is now 25. He has one of the strongest work ethics of anyone I know and would NEVER accept benefits. There are immigrants who are welfare tourists but by and large those from Europe are not. They usually come here because opportunities for gainful employment are better in this country than in their home country. Immigrants actually contributed a little more in taxation than they get out of the system. The biggest problem for our welfare system is supporting our own scum-bags, such as 18 year old single mothers who don't have a hope in hell of supporting their child without welfare. Most such people in this country are British.
You are a poor family angry at another poor family. Look above, fine chap, look above. Also, in the mirror.
Original post by Flying Cookie
You are a poor family angry at another poor family. Look above, fine chap, look above. Also, in the mirror.

Who me ?
Original post by JamesGibson
The majority of the welfare budget goes to people in work who're not being paid enough by their greedy employers. The media love to pickup on a few fringe cases to demonise everybody who needs government support; the vast majority of which are genuine claimants.

That's absolutely right, its the zero hour contract minimum wage paying companies that we should be worrying about. Although I still think the benefits system is wrong: if you are able but unwilling to work, you shouldn't be getting any money at all from the government. You should be getting a place to sleep, food and grocery stamps to keep you alive, and that's it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending