The Student Room Group

isnt feminism pointless now women are basicaly equal?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DylanJ96
Anyone who reads feminism as "equal treatment" is guilty of a misinterpretation of the true meaning of what it means to be a feminist.

Are you suggesting that feminism should not pursue gender equality?
Wow. What an extremely ill-informed thing to say. I agree that on the most part women and men are equal in the UK but in other countries women are nowhere near as lucky as they are here.
Original post by Violet97
if women are equal to men then why is it that:
all the high up important jobs are dominated by men
a man's worst fear when meeting a woman on a dating website is that she'll be ugly, a woman's worst fear is that she'll be raped or murdered
majority of sexual assault and domestic violence cases are against women

also look how women are viewed in the media

This doesn't even warrant a serious response.
Original post by Birkenhead
Do you have a problem with discussions about social movements like feminism? Either you don't take the movement seriously yourself or you're scared of the changes in popular opinion that may occur if by lifting up this stone we find worms underneath.

What kind of warped logic did you employ to come to that conclusion?

It's completely pointless debating feminism on TSR, as these kinds of threads have demonstrated over and over and over again.

In response to your other post - it was a survey completed by the OECD, and it was reported this year. A wage gap exists, no matter how ridiculously evasive or pedantic you are.
[video="youtube;gQ_vUkkWfsA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ_vUkkWfsA[/video]

And why not?
This is the first time i'm going to stand up for feminism because what you have just written is incredibly ignorant and DUMB.

They are not paid the same as us (assuming you're a guy) for the same skills, they earn 15% less in the U.K. - how is that fair?
If these 'romantic' gestures are classed as sexual assault I doubt they're romantic and acceptable in western society -can you name a few?

wait this is the dumbest part tho....

'..if a woman decided to get hammered and gets assaulted, apparently it's in no way her fault because women have a right to drink, therefore they can disregard their own safety....'

how does getting drunk relate to being assaulted? by her being drunk she hasn't asked someone to assault her, by her being drunk she hasn't consented to someone touching her, if a women is drunk it doesn't give me permission to touch her....
You see my mind isn't primitive, I am not an animal, I can control myself so if i see a girl drunk i won't jump her or assault her in any way. If this is really your view and your not a troll i actually fear for humanity...eeek...
Are you suggesting that feminism should not pursue gender equality?

I meant to quote "special treatment", not equal.

that basically means "i have no response because my argument is flawed"
Original post by KatieLL98
I don't think that feminism is pointless. There's still such a thing as the wage gap...

Original post by paradoxicalme
There is still a wage gap.

What exactly do you mean by 'wage gap', guys?
Do you have a source for the wage gap point?

http://www.equalpayportal.co.uk/statistics/

scroll down to the subheading that says "up to date information on the gender pay gap" and look at the second point.[h="4"]
women earn less because they're less motivated at their jobs and also less skilled. not to mention they are less prepared to work longer hours.
Reply 32
Original post by Violet97
if women are equal to men then why is it that:
all the high up important jobs are dominated by men
a man's worst fear when meeting a woman on a dating website is that she'll be ugly, a woman's worst fear is that she'll be raped or murdered
majority of sexual assault and domestic violence cases are against women

also look how women are viewed in the media

a) Men tend to go for better jobs, higher paying jobs, wait until a man divorces, his ex will earn it all - in a straight relationship
b) paranoia, murder rates are incredibly small in the UK, and looks matter less to women
c) not a case for feminism
d) women freely do those roles, media portrays female on male violence as funny, that's how it is

Half didn't want to reply to this but did anyway because I want to follow this thread
Original post by Meyrin
What kind of warped logic did you employ to come to that conclusion?

I didn't come to a conclusion; I made a suggestion of your motives. Perhaps you should read more carefully.

It's completely pointless debating feminism on TSR, as these kinds of threads have demonstrated over and over and over again.

If it's 'completely pointless', why have you invested so much time and writing into this one within just a few minutes of its creation? My guess is that you're uncomfortable with open discussion on a subject in which your positions are already so fanatically decided. There is no such thing as a pointless debate.

In response to your other post - it was a survey completed by the OECD, and it was reported this year. A wage gap exists, no matter how ridiculously evasive or pedantic you are.

Casting hyperbolic insults doesn't make your assurances more convincing, it makes you look nervous. The only one being evasive here is you, and I'm sure even you should be able to appreciate how properly sourcing claims such as the ones you're making is necessary to be taken seriously on any platform.
Saw a comment somewhere about how a women shouldn't be surprised if she's assaulted if she goes out and gets hanmered. This is one if the reasons why feminism is still needed in today's society, why should a woman believe it acceptable to be assaulted just because she's drunk, I'm sure hat wasn't her intentions at the time and to anyway imply that it's fair/she desveres it is just ridiculous.

The problem with feminism today is that it has become distorted from the core of feminism, which is gender equality and unfortunately there are a select few who are making men look like the 'bad guy' which isn't productive as it then assumes that women are the better gender, creating a spiral of inequality. Legally, gender equality is there but within our culture we still have a long way to go.
Have a look at this thread

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2784025

and you'll see why it isn't pointless.
Reply 36
Original post by ILovePancakes
Have a look at this thread

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2784025

and you'll see why it isn't pointless.

The posts you are referring to are about a minority of men harassing women, not women being discriminated against by men and the system.
Original post by Jubz1
a) Men tend to go for better jobs, higher paying jobs, wait until a man divorces, his ex will earn it all - in a straight relationship
b) paranoia, murder rates are incredibly small in the UK, and looks matter less to women
c) not a case for feminism
d) women freely do those roles, media portrays female on male violence as funny, that's how it is

Half didn't want to reply to this but did anyway because I want to follow this thread

a) where is your evidence for this?
b) if there was no threat then women wouldn't be worried
c) violence against women most certainly is a case for feminism
d) do you seriously think women want to be objectified through the media, look at the way female celebrities are constantly criticised for their appearance. Here is an example, a single women has an affair with a married man and the women will get all the hate directed at her. Or how come a man who sleeps with a lot women is seen as a "legend" whereas a women who sleeps with a lot of men is branded a "slut"
Reply 38
No it hasn't. Yes, in the UK on the whole we are lucky, however it was only last month that it was allowed for women to become bishops, there are still issues with girls born in the UK being forced into arranged marriages and only 4 FTSE 100 companies have female CEOs.

As for the wage gap, my old physics teacher said in her old engineering job (only 5 years ago) she was given a pay rise of nearly £15,000 because that was the difference between her pay and the pay of the men around her doing the same job. My dad is also an engineer and told me that in order for a woman to be seen as equal to a man she has to be twice as good at what she does.

Also, don't forget that we aren't the only country in the world. In many countries women cannot get jobs, drive, wear clothes they want to without their husbands permission and are prevented from getting an education.
Look at India, where rape cases are soaring in a bid to beat down the feminist movement, or Pakistan where girls Malala Yousafzai was shot for saying she thinks that girls should have an equal right to education.

Feminism isn't about women being better than men or about belittling men or calling them names and treating all men like ignorant rapists, anyone who says that isn't a feminist they're a shallow minded idiot. Just like people should be seen as equal regardless of their race, sexuality, disability, age, class or religion they should be seen as equal because of their gender. That's what feminism is.
(edited 9 years ago)
I didn't come to a conclusion; I made a suggestion of your motives. Perhaps you should read more carefully.

If it's 'completely pointless', why have you invested so much time and writing into this one within just a few minutes of its creation? My guess is that you're uncomfortable with open discussion on a subject in which your positions are already so fanatically decided. There is no such thing as a pointless debate.

Casting hyperbolic insults doesn't make your assurances more convincing, it makes you look nervous. The only one being evasive here is you, and I'm sure even you should be able to appreciate how properly sourcing claims such as the ones you're making is necessary to be taken seriously on any platform.

Oh, sweetheart...

You came to the conclusion that the reason for my response was down to one of two frankly idiotic reasons.

"Time and effort." You mean my adding a post that took literally less than a minute to write? In addition to that it's 12am, the more illuminating threads to add to aren't exactly coming thick and fast.

I'm not uncomfortable in the slightest, and your side-stepping the points levied at you and instead theorising what may or may not be going in my mind suggests some form of projection. There is such thing as a pointless debate, and feminism discussions on TSR are the very definition of one. I've participated in enough of them to know...

It's the truth. You seem to have developed a habit of using dismissive arrogance in place of an actual response to what is said to you, even in the face of evidence. You're doing it right now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending