The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Sexist gym with women only hours

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChickenMadness
Do you agree that there should be men-only hours for the men that don't want to grunt like a pig and sweat around fit women?

Yup, or men only gyms. Men can be shy too. Not saying its a quality specific to women.
Isn't stuff like this against the law though? For example a bakery owned by Christians got sued a while ago because they refused to bake a cake for a gay couple.

This is pretty much the same thing.

I know this question isn't for me but jus gunna put in my two cents.
I understand where your coming from but the REASONS behind why these things happened are different. Introducing womens only hours was probably done at the request of the women for various reasons, however the service the gym provides is still offered to BOTH men and women. Also men are aware of the womens only hours when joining, therefore this isn't discriminatory. On the other hand, not serving people whose beliefs and lifestyle goes against your religion, and ONLY on tht basis is discrimination. Which is against the law :smile:
Original post by Sabrina3210
Sorry for not wanting to be grunting like a pig when lifting weights in front of fit guys. Call me stupid but i'd like to retain some dignity.

You probably need to examine your own ego more than anything.

I'm in good shape and I really couldn't care less about some fat (or not) girl (or guy) grunting/sweating or whatever, at the gym.
Original post by e aí rapaz
You probably need to examine your own ego more than anything.

I'm in good shape and I really couldn't care less about some fat (or not) girl (or guy) grunting/sweating or whatever, at the gym.

Not really an issue about the ego tbh.
Your just a better guy than the ones who live in my area. Like i said previously, ive been ridiculed before k?
Those reasons aren't exclusive to women. They happen to men too. Men and women should be treated equally and given the same opportunities.

Lol at the second paragraph. No point discussing anything with you.

No point discussing anything with me? You're the one fabricating facts, blowing things out of proportion and seemingly under the belief that society has a vendetta against your gender.

If you genuinely believed that men and women should be treated equally and given the same opportunities, you would be spending you time worrying about the fact that men are over-represented in practically every single powerful profession on the planet, the fact men still earn vastly more than women and the fact that in a recent review on the global position of women, even in the UK, women are under-represented and prejudiced against in every single aspect of society apart from education.

Instead, you complain about your gym giving a few hours for women only. Oh my god, the outrage!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Chlorophile
No point discussing anything with me? You're the one fabricating facts, blowing things out of proportion and seemingly under the belief that society has a vendetta against your gender.

If you genuinely believed that men and women should be treated equally and given the same opportunities, you would be spending you time worrying about the fact that men are over-represented in practically every single powerful profession on the planet, the fact men still earn vastly more than women and the fact that in a recent review on the global position of women, even in the UK, women are under-represented and prejudiced against in every single aspect of society apart from education.

Instead, you complain about your gym giving a few hours for women only. Oh my god, the outrage!

could not have been better put.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not really an issue about the ego tbh.
Your just a better guy than the ones who live in my area. Like i said previously, ive been ridiculed before k?

I'm not a better guy than most. I'm a pretty good representation of a normal guy.

It's all about ego. It's your ego that makes you care what those people think.

lol what?

Men at this gym pay the same amount for less service than women. This shouldn't be allowed to happen in 2014.

Also 2nd paragraph is a load of tosh.
I understand and support the reasons for women-only hours, but at the same time they shouldn't be allowed to just ban the men like that. I'd fully support it if they had women-only and men-only classes, with the other sex able to use other areas of the gym if possible - or at the very least they should offer men-only hours too...

The reason for it happening in the first place most likely isn't just because the women don't like the way their bodies look. Both sexes can get unwanted attention, but there seems to be a worse reputation for guys doing it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_Nr4wE2ZE0
Original post by e aí rapaz
I'm not a better guy than most. I'm a pretty good representation of a normal guy.

It's all about ego. It's your ego that makes you care what those people think.

Yhh your right. I do care about what people think of me a lot. Maybe too much ~sigh~ 😔
lol what?

Men at this gym pay the same amount for less service than women. This shouldn't be allowed to happen in 2014.

Also 2nd paragraph is a load of tosh.

Let me run you through the conclusions of the World Economic Forum's Gender Equality report, 2013 - for the UK. If women and men are equal, the category gains a score of 1.00. A score of 0.90 means that women have a 10% disadvantage, a score of 1.10 means a 10% advantage, etc.

Labour force participation: 0.85
Wage equality for similar work: 0.68
Estimated earned income: 0.73
Legislators, Senior Officials and Managers: 0.53
Professional and Technical Workers: 0.92

Literacy rate: 1.00
Enrollment in primary education: 1.00
Enrollment in secondary education: 1.02
Enrollment in tertiary education: 1.38

Sex ratio at birth: 0.95
Healthy life expectancy: 1.03

Women in parliament: 0.29
Women in ministerial positions: 0.21
Years with female head of state: 0.30

I'm not cherry picking this information (unlike you), this is their complete conclusions. As you can see, women in the UK are equal with men in most aspects of education, and there are more enrolled in tertiary education. Their life expectancy is marginally higher than men, because of biological reasons.

In every single other aspect of society, they are vastly below their male counterparts. I'm not going to insult your intelligence by going through each category but I'll pick out a few to make it easier for you. Women earn on average only 70% of the income of men and even more alarmingly, the wage equality for equal work is only 68%. That means that, for doing the exact same work, women earn 32% less than men. There are only 29% of the women in parliament as men, and an even lower percentage are in ministerial positions. In the most important and influential institution in the country, there are barely any women.

How on earth can you say that I am talking 'tosh'?
Let me run you through the conclusions of the World Economic Forum's Gender Equality report, 2013 - for the UK. If women and men are equal, the category gains a score of 1.00. A score of 0.90 means that women have a 10% disadvantage, a score of 1.10 means a 10% advantage, etc.

I'm not cherry picking this information (unlike you), this is their complete conclusions. As you can see, women in the UK are equal with men in most aspects of education, and there are more enrolled in tertiary education. Their life expectancy is marginally higher than men, because of biological reasons.

In every single other aspect of society, they are vastly below their male counterparts. I'm not going to insult your intelligence by going through each category but I'll pick out a few to make it easier for you. Women earn on average only 70% of the income of men and even more alarmingly, the wage equality for equal work is only 68%. That means that, for doing the exact same work, women earn 32% less than men. There are only 29% of the women in parliament as men, and an even lower percentage are in ministerial positions. In the most important and influential institution in the country, there are barely any women.

It's tosh because the statistics you quote are an end result of many factors. And the main factor is due to free will. People chose to go into different professions, take time of work for family, etc. Which result in the statistics you've just quoted.
That wage statistic is a big one that's been debunked many times. If we lived in a communist society where everyone was forced into working which ever job they were assigned to then we would have equal stats.

The parliament argument is especially silly because no one's stopping ANYONE from voting for who they want. If you want more of certain people to go into politics and be successful you would need to take away free will from voters and force them to vote for your preferred group (women in this case).

Our queen is even female, and we've already had a female prime minister. No ones stopping women from gaining votes.

Also 'birth rates' ??? What does that have to do with anything?

Also I haven't cherry picked information, I've used the information given by the OP. I'm staying on topic, which is this specific gym that discriminates against men. I think the service should be equal or a fair alternative reached.

And I don't think two wrongs make a right either. We should just be making everything equal for men and women. Not going 'oh they have more sweets than me. lets take this away from their colouring pencils to make it fair' < It would be better to just give both groups equal sweets and colouring pencils rofl.
Its not sexists, just because you want to go a gym where their are guys doesnt mean all women should have to.

Some people treat political correctness like a religion.
It's tosh because the statistics you quote are an end result of many factors. And the main factor is due to free will. People chose to go into different professions, take time of work for family, etc. Which result in the statistics you've just quoted.
That wage statistic is a big one that's been debunked many times. If we lived in a communist society where everyone was forced into working which ever job they were assigned to then we would have equal stats.

The parliament argument is especially silly because no one's stopping ANYONE from voting for who they want. If you want more of certain people to go into politics and be successful you would need to take away free will from voters and force them to vote for your preferred group (women in this case).

Our queen is even female, and we've already had a female prime minister. No ones stopping women from gaining votes.

Also 'birth rates' ??? What does that have to do with anything?

Also I haven't cherry picked information, I've used the information given by the OP. I'm staying on topic, which is this specific gym that discriminates against men. I think the service should be equal or a fair alternative reached.

And I don't think two wrongs make a right either. We should just be making everything equal for men and women. Not going 'oh they have more sweets than me. lets take this away from their colouring pencils to make it fair' < It would be better to just give both groups equal sweets and colouring pencils rofl.

You're telling me that women are absolutely fine with the wealth inequality, the fact that they're being paid 70% of their male equivalents, the fact that they have virtually no role in the running of this country or her institutions? Sorry, but that's drivel and I think you know it. If the wage statistic has been debunked, please link me to a credible source that has debunked this. I have reviewed the World Economic Forum's sources and they look extremely valid to me. You're speaking out of your backside.

If you genuinely think women are just as likely to get into parliament as men, I really think you need a lesson on how politics work. If I were you, I'd stop replying now. You've shown that you're incapable of coherent argument and you're embarrassing yourself now. We've got a queen. That's totally relevant, isn't it? Because the queen wields so much power and influence over British society and is totally representative of the people, isn't she? And yes, we have had a female prime minister. One female prime minister out of 52. Precisely 1.9% of our prime ministers were female. That's equality, isn't it? Something is stopping women getting votes, and that thing is the British institution and British society, attitudes propagated by people like you. My suspicion is that men have been very comfortable with their total domination over western society for the previous centuries and now that equality is starting to creep back into the picture, they're getting nervous.

There is absolutely no argument you can make that would possibly indicate that women have achieved equality with men, certainly not that they've exceeded men. If you care about equality like you claim, you would fight the real battles rather than crying about a bloody gym.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 114
I thought about this thread on and off today considering what I thought about it. Initially I was tempted to say it was a fairly clear-cut example of inequality - in this case against men - but on further reflection it seems more to be the case that it's a mitigation of other inequalities already present.

I can understand that some women feel intimidated using the gym with macho-types around, and I think these feelings are justified given that women probably do get unwanted attention from men when using the gym, the sort that men typically don't get at all. Thus it seems to me that there is inequality already extant in gyms, which can be ameliorated with a system such as the one employed by the gym at the centre of this controversy.

In my opinion, the disparity of services does represent an inequality in favour of women, but an opposition to this is also a tacit support of greater inequality elsewhere. Perhaps there is a better approach the gym might take, but does the gym deserve to be sued or villified over it? No, I don't think so. The gym traded one inequality for another, seemingly lesser inequality. It's not perfect, but if it's a net positive, then it seems to deserve commendation over condemnation.
I know this question isn't for me but jus gunna put in my two cents.
I understand where your coming from but the REASONS behind why these things happened are different. Introducing womens only hours was probably done at the request of the women for various reasons, however the service the gym provides is still offered to BOTH men and women. Also men are aware of the womens only hours when joining, therefore this isn't discriminatory. On the other hand, not serving people whose beliefs and lifestyle goes against your religion, and ONLY on tht basis is discrimination. Which is against the law :smile:

Even if it was done for reasons we need to know the thinking behind those reasons i.e did a tiny minority of men make it hard for a tiny minority of women therefore they complained and got the women only classes.

If it was the other way round and men complained would they get anywhere else but being told to be a man? there is a lot of discrimination towards men in todays world being unable to show their feelings or being seen as weak, how do we know the women who complained were not just insecure or had a chip on their shoulder?

At a gym I used to go to there was a lot of classes ran upstairs but a huge amount of them were meant to be for men and women but only women meant as men didnt want to be seen as weird being the only man, they also had female only classes which did annoy me but at same time I let it go because it was just a class it was something that interested women more rather than just being sexist and at the same time as the classes men could use the normal gym downstairs and when there was no classes the upstairs was closed, I did get a bit annoyed at paying same as women though(I am sure they actually charged women lower fees too anyway)
The fact of the matter is that there are potential reasons why women would not want to work out with men, because a - admittedly small - number of men aren't mature enough to behave in a civilized manner in these environments. Comparing that to racism is just absolutely absurd, you are comparing apples and oranges. You are so determined to see prejudice against your gender in absolutely everything that you refuse to even recognise the obvious.

Anyone can be immature. Men can be immature. Women can be immature.

I agree that men could potentially be disrespectful to women in such an environment. But I also think men could be disrespectful to other men. And even if a small number of men are behaving badly, I don't think that justifies a financial policy that disadvantages men. As the guy that wrote the article said, if they want women's only hours, then charge men less overall - that would be much fairer.

Whilst I'm terribly sorry that there are some times of day you can't use a gym, I really think you need to get a grip on reality. The fact of the matter is that women are disadvantaged in comparison to men in practically every aspect of modern society. You are very welcome to cherry pick tiny examples of the opposite, but for every instance like this, I can give you ten - much more serious - examples of institutional sexism against women.

Lol.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
What? Toilets are single sex for a reason, mainly that men get their dinkles out and women don't really want to see that, plus it would be awkward got the guy. Tbh loads of restaurants and nightclubs have just a toilet area with a few unisex cubicles.

A single sex gym is stupid. What is the actual reasoning behind it? That women don't want to work out with men around? If they're that self conscious maybe they should stick to aerobics classes or exercising at home. Maybe a solution to this would be to have entire gyms that are for women only, so no men are losing out on their membership fee.

Remove the pissoirs and put in a few more cubicles, no more dinkles to come out.

Not to mention it's quite funny that you say it would be awkard for the men. Well apparently women find it awkward to have to use the gym together with men.
(edited 9 years ago)

You're doing that idiotic thing that loads of feminists do. When women are "ahead" at something, you claim it's due to valid reasons, but when men are "ahead" you claim it's due to institutional discrimination.
Original post by joker12345
Firstly, there are toilets available to both, so it's incomparable. That would be comparable to one of the solutions offered by the guy - to have a male only hour too. Second, men and women need different facilities (urinals for men) and the obvious nudity factor.

Men don't need urinals. And what nudity, you have a cubicle. In fact there is a lot more nudity in the gym as people hardly wear anything.

Latest

Trending

Trending