The Student Room Group

Gravitation answer check!

1) Communications satellites orbit the earth at a height of 36000km. The satellite has a mass of 250kg, what is the force of attraction on it from earth?my answer: 55.7N2) The Average force of attraction on the moon from the sun is 4.4x10^20N. Taking the distance from the sun to the moon to be about the same as that from the Sun to the earth, what value of mass does this give for the moon?my answer: 7.4x10^22Kg3) What is the force of attraction between the earth and the sun?my answer: 3.56x10^22NThanks in advance :smile:
Original post by Zevo
1) Communications satellites orbit the earth at a height of 36000km. The satellite has a mass of 250kg, what is the force of attraction on it from earth?my answer: 55.7N2) The Average force of attraction on the moon from the sun is 4.4x10^20N. Taking the distance from the sun to the moon to be about the same as that from the Sun to the earth, what value of mass does this give for the moon?my answer: 7.4x10^22Kg3) What is the force of attraction between the earth and the sun?my answer: 3.56x10^22NThanks in advance :smile:

First one I think you need to check your calculation, the other two are OK.
(e.g. for 3 I got 3.52E22 but it's probably from using slightly different book values for the physical constants and not imo anything to worry about. clearly you've identified the appropriate formula and know how to use it)

Quick Reply

Latest