The Student Room Group

Probability question

When we have p(A n B) (probability of A intersection B), in what cases can I simply multiply p(A) and p(B) to work this out and when can I not?

In the cases where I can't use multiplication how do I then go about working it out?

I ask because I was doing a question and to work out all the intersection I multiplied the probabilities however most of it was incorrect and I had to manually think about which cards were included in the intersection and divide by 52. (question is attached).Screen Shot 2014-12-28 at 17.59.58.png
Can multiply if they are independent. Otherwise have to work out manually each case unless you are given something extra , like P(A|B) and P(B) which becomes obvious how to find intersection.
Reply 2
Original post by hassassin04
Can multiply if they are independent. Otherwise have to work out manually each case unless you are given something extra , like P(A|B) and P(B) which becomes obvious how to find intersection.

So in the attached question was it incorrect to multiply together?
Reply 3
Original post by Davelittle

I would model this as a Venn diagram (with data rather than probabilities) with 3 overlapping circles

For part ii? Why do you want to multiply them? Just think- which card(s) satisfie all those properties? The probability then should be clear.
Reply 5
Original post by hassassin04
For part ii? Why do you want to multiply them? Just think- which card(s) satisfie all those properties? The probability then should be clear.

No for part i. when using the formula for the union of 3 things
No for part i. when using the formula for the union of 3 things

Same thing. I would just list all cards that satisfy the requirement.

Quick Reply

Latest