The Student Room Group

Why so much hatred of Halal but not Kosher?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by rkhan57
My point is you don't want the animal to suffer but you want it dead?
They are different things. The former is to minimise harm, the latter is survival decision.
Original post by al_94
That wasn't Kosher food that was food produced in Israel

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/aug/17/sainsburys-removes-kosher-food-anti-israel-protesters

Incorrect.

It only serves to prove my point about Jews not standing up for themselves. A bunch of nutters protest outside a shop and the manager backs down; clearly there are a lot of very cowardly people who take the side of those who shout the loudest and cause the most trouble.

I don't exactly like Bin Laden, but as he once said "When people see a strong horse and a weak horse, they will naturally want to side with the strong horse..."
(edited 9 years ago)
The honest answer is because since WW2 it has become somewhat taboo to criticise anything Jewish. If you do so then you are labelled a fascist or an anti-semite. To the contrary, the numerous incidents such as 9/11 and 7/7 have led to some people thinking its okay to target Islam in any way they can. Some are willing to be open about their hatred of Islam and totally rip into the Quran and the religion.

Others have an underlying hatred they take out and attack things like Halal foods. If people started speaking out against Kosher food then the term anti-semite would be thrown about straight away. People generally don't want to risk being labelled a Nazi, a fascist or an anti-semite.

It's also not in the interests of politicians to upset the Jewish community because many members of the Jewish community hold positions of power in the media and finance. In short, Islam is an easier target so cowardly bigots attack Islam or Islamic related practices rather than those of other religions.
No one is forcing kosher on the native population
Original post by -Native Briton-

No one is forcing Halal on the native population either as you're trying to imply here. Do you have any credible sources to suggest otherwise?
Original post by Messiah Complex
The honest answer is because since WW2 it has become somewhat taboo to criticise anything Jewish. If you do so then you are labelled a fascist or an anti-semite. To the contrary, the numerous incidents such as 9/11 and 7/7 have led to some people thinking its okay to target Islam in any way they can. Some are willing to be open about their hatred of Islam and totally rip into the Quran and the religion.

Others have an underlying hatred they take out and attack things like Halal foods. If people started speaking out against Kosher food then the term anti-semite would be thrown about straight away. People generally don't want to risk being labelled a Nazi, a fascist or an anti-semite.

It's also not in the interests of politicians to upset the Jewish community because many members of the Jewish community hold positions of power in the media and finance. In short, Islam is an easier target so cowardly bigots attack Islam or Islamic related practices rather than those of other religions.

Jews are not a problem in the UK. Jews were not responsible for countless thwarted terrorist attacks in the UK and Europe.

Jews were not responsible for rotherham

Jews are not fracturing British society and turning areas into no go zones

and so and on
Reply 26
No one is forcing Halal on the native population either as you're trying to imply here. Do you have any credible sources to suggest otherwise?
Much as I hate to quote the Daily Wail:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2616576/Subway-removes-ham-pork-nearly-200-stores-strong-demand-Muslims-eat-Halal-meat.html

I didn't realize our were forced to ear meat?

RE: the above about Subways not advertising that they're halal. They mention if they're halal on their shop windows and have done for years....

See:

"'At present, the only legal exemptions to stunning during slaughter exist for kosher and halal methods of slaughter, however, it is important to differentiate between ‘religious’ and ‘non-stun’ slaughter as around 90 per cent of all halal in the UK receives a stun before slaughter."

What's the issue?

if you force fast food restaurants, Food manafacturers, schools, hospitals and so on to supply only halal that is forcing it on the population

Just one of countless examples

http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/news/10334813.Halal_meat_served_in_three_quarters_of_council_supported_schools/
Reply 30
There's more places I need to stop visiting because they sell unlabelled Halal meat:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/10816716/Find-out-which-supermarkets-and-restaurants-sell-halal-meat.html
if you force fast food restaurants, Food manafacturers, schools, hospitals and so on to supply only halal that is forcing it on the population

http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/news/10334813.Halal_meat_served_in_three_quarters_of_council_supported_schools/

Are you forced to eat meat? Also actually scrap that. Would you eat Kingsmill bread? It's halal and kosher certified
Original post by The_Internet
I didn't realize our were forced to ear meat?

RE: the above about Subways not advertising that they're halal. They mention if they're halal on their shop windows and have done for years....

You are being completely disingenuous
Are you forced to eat meat? Also actually scrap that. Would you eat Kingsmill bread? It's halal and kosher certified

not me personally. Supplying only halal meat in schools for example is forcing children to eat halal.

You may not see a problem with how halal is being forced on the population but I do.
(edited 9 years ago)
You are being completely disingenuous

No I'm not... And even if I wasn't, so what? Answer the question I asked before. Would you eat kingsmill bread?
Original post by caravaggio2
I don't know about where you live but here in the UK there are 10x as many muslims as there are Jews.
Schools and supermarkets don't secretly provide only unmarked halal meat because they like Muslims more than Jews, it is because Muslims are very good at whining and protesting to get what they want. Jews aren't, they just get on with their lives.
So, it's just a guess but I would think that is possibly why there is more animosity towards halal ( here) and Kosher there.
Btw, is this the only sort of post you ever do?
Give yourself a day off. Go for a walk.�����

Where and when do Muslims whinge? That is utter nonsense. It's an legitimate question and it's clear that there are a minority of Islamophobia in this country formed by the media.

Put the Daily Mail down and go for a walk of your own.
Original post by DiddyDec
People don't want animals to suffer. Slicing their throat open while they are conscious makes the animal suffer.

Yet you don't care about your McDonalds meats being skinned alive?

Pretty sure animals suffer either way they are killed even if they are stunned. Don't complain and don't waste meat, otherwise you can just go vegetarian. Scapegoating Muslims and halal food is a farce.
No I'm not... And even if I wasn't, so what? Answer the question I asked before. Would you eat kingsmill bread?

there is a difference between halal bread which means that there is no additives that are haram to meat which has went through an Islamic religious ritual

Answer me this would Muslims eat food if it was blessed by a priest ?
not me personally. Supplying only halal meat in schools for example is forcing children to eat halal.

You may not see a problem with how halal is being forced on the population but I do.

And your candid attitude is shameful

So... Would you eat Kingsmill bread?

Please also explain your issues with halal meat when its really no different to standard meat. Also why are people so fussed about how an animal died? If you really give a ****, you'd care about how an animal LIVED, you'd buy free range meat only and if you cared a bit more, then you'd be veggie...
Jews are not a problem in the UK.

Nobody said they were.

The word 'credible' was added for good reason. Nowhere in there does it suggest strong support from Muslims in terms of direct quotation. That was what Subway said was the case. Where is the evidence? That's journalism almost at its worst. It is highly likely that Subway did purely on a profits motivated decision and realised, based on analysis, that by switching to more Halal options that they could make more profits from the people in the local area.

Yes, because Muslims forced the Council to do that didn't they? It was nothing to do with appeasement and political correctness in this country at all.

:rolleyes:

Again, you're blaming Islam for a problem created by politicians who are ironically, mostly privileged white men.

Any direct quote in there suggesting that the Council was forced into that decision? Blame the Council for doing it to win favour with its constituents as opposed to the people within that community.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending