The Student Room Group

Why so much hatred of Halal but not Kosher?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by -Native Briton-
there is a difference between halal bread which means that there is no additives that are haram to meat which has had Islamic spells cast on it.

Answer me this would Muslims eat food if it was blessed by a priest ?

Its still "forcing halal" on to you. And I imagine no muslims have an issue with that, provided it isn't meat..

The only religion that should matter with regards to halal / kosher meat hating are Sikhs

Its not forbidden in Christianity to eat halal/kosher meat
there is a difference between halal bread which means that there is no additives that are haram to meat which has went through an Islamic religious ritual

Answer me this would Muslims eat food if it was blessed by a priest ?

Assuming you mean meat no they wouldn't as it isn't halal, what's your point? What others would do or want to do should not affect how we behave unless it obviously has some direct effect on us.
Halal and Kosher are both not for me.

Strong credible source. Not that the Daily Mail nitpick what they publish or anything.

Also, Subway is a profit-seeking business. If they are getting more business by removing pork, then you can't really complain in a capitalist society. Otherwise, just as the Daily Mail tells Muslims, if you don't like it, move somewhere else.
Original post by The_Internet
So... Would you eat Kingsmill bread?

Please also explain your issues with halal meat when its really no different to standard meat. Also why are people so fussed about how an animal died? If you really give a ****, you'd care about how an animal LIVED, you'd buy free range meat only and if you cared a bit more, then you'd be veggie...

i have answered your question above, now answer mine. Would muslims eat food that was blessed by a priest ?
Its still "forcing halal" on to you. And I imagine no muslims have an issue with that, provided it isn't meat..

The only religion that should matter with regards to halal / kosher meat hating are Sikhs

Its not forbidden in Christianity to eat halal/kosher meat

you are waffling !!
i have answered your question above, now answer mine. Would muslims eat food that was blessed by a priest ?

I've already answered your question... You just need to go and look at what I wrote...

What are your issues with halal meat btw?

you are waffling !!

So?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TorpidPhil
Assuming you mean meat no they wouldn't as it isn't halal, what's your point? What others would do or want to do should not affect how we behave unless it obviously has some direct effect on us.

if a non meat food item was blessed by a priest there would be no chance in hell that a muslim would eat it and do mot dare try and insinuate otherwise !!
Original post by ZolaCFC25
Strong credible source. Not that the Daily Mail nitpick what they publish or anything.

Also, Subway is a profit-seeking business. If they are getting more business by removing pork, then you can't really complain in a capitalist society. Otherwise, just as the Daily Mail tells Muslims, if you don't like it, move somewhere else.

Plus, nowhere in the text does it provide direct quotation suggesting demand from Muslims. That's only what Subway said. Of course they're going to try and justify their decision by saying there was high demand for it. In reality, its more to do with appeasement and profits. We all know how businesses work.
if a non meat food item was blessed by a priest there would be no chance in hell that a muslim would eat it and do mot dare try and insinuate otherwise !!

Why not? Muslims wouldn't have an issue with it if its not meat... In the example of the Kingsmill bread its both halal certified and kosher certified at the same time

Christianity has no such dietary requirements.
Original post by rkhan57
My point is you don't want the animal to suffer but you want it dead?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You aren't doing vegetarians any favours by being so 'in your face' about it.
Eating meat is natural, we are omnivorous. But leaving the animal to suffer for no good reason or wasting food is just offensive.
Why not? Muslims wouldn't have an issue with it if its not meat... In the example of the Kingsmill bread its both halal certified and kosher certified at the same time

Christianity has no such dietary requirements.

Now you are being ridiculous. utterly preposterous and I am not even going to take that response seriously !!

So what if they didn't (which they probably still would)? What is your point?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 53
Original post by yo radical one
http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/aug/17/sainsburys-removes-kosher-food-anti-israel-protesters

Incorrect.

It only serves to prove my point about Jews not standing up for themselves. A bunch of nutters protest outside a shop and the manager backs down; clearly there are a lot of very cowardly people who take the side of those who shout the loudest and cause the most trouble.

I don't exactly like Bin Laden, but as he once said "When people see a strong horse and a weak horse, they will naturally want to side with the strong horse..."

I don't believe that for one second they were boycotting Kosher because Kosher food is not supporting Israel that is compulsory in the Jewish religion.
Original post by Snagprophet
No-one's forcing kosher into places like Subway. Oh what a surprise, the one that doesn't interfere with British ways doesn't get a backlash.

How was it forced?
Halal meat is in 150, of what, over 1500 stores? That's them catering to a huge demographic in order to maximize their profits, not some secret Muslim attempt to dominate the fast food industry...
Original post by 29Bilal96
How was it forced?
Halal meat is in 150, of what, over 1500 stores? That's them catering to a huge demographic in order to maximize their profits, not some secret Muslim attempt to dominate the fast food industry...

They're also clearly labelled. I really don't understand the issue with halal meat, unless someone happens to be a Sikh?
Original post by ZolaCFC25
Yet you don't care about your McDonalds meats being skinned alive?

Pretty sure animals suffer either way they are killed even if they are stunned. Don't complain and don't waste meat, otherwise you can just go vegetarian. Scapegoating Muslims and halal food is a farce.

Not in the UK. I know people who have McDonalds contracts and the animal welfare standards required are much higher than the Government standards which are some of the highest in the world.

Animals suffer much less if not at all when they are stunned first, it is basic biology.
Original post by al_94
I don't believe that for one second they were boycotting Kosher because Kosher food is not supporting Israel that is compulsory in the Jewish religion.

Refusing to acknowledge blatant antisemtism is in itself antisemitism; is it really so inconceivable to you that the manager of this supermarket made and choice and that choice was wrong?
Thought I would leave this here for those attacking McDonald's in defence of Halal. http://www.mcdonalds.co.uk/ukhome/whatmakesmcdonalds/questions/food/animal-welfare/what-are-mcdonalds-animal-welfare-standards-and-policies.html
In the UK we have very high standards of welfare for animal raising and slaughter, so I don't understand arguments stating that halal causes less suffering than our standard processes.

I have no issue with Halal or Islam but if you're going to argue I would prefer that you understand our standards.
Original post by Iridann
Thought I would leave this here for those attacking McDonald's in defence of Halal. http://www.mcdonalds.co.uk/ukhome/whatmakesmcdonalds/questions/food/animal-welfare/what-are-mcdonalds-animal-welfare-standards-and-policies.html
In the UK we have very high standards of welfare for animal raising and slaughter, so I don't understand arguments stating that halal causes less suffering than our standard processes.

I have no issue with Halal or Islam but if you're going to argue I would prefer that you understand our standards.

Course. But I think that if people really have an issue with animal welfare they'd either only ever buy free range meat or they'd be a veggie, regardless of how its killed

Why does the last 30 seconds matter and now however many days/years it lived for?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending