The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Employing people with convictions eg rape

Scroll to see replies

Depends on the job, but to be quite frank what would you have us do with them? If they've served their time and are free then there are 3 options, either they work, they are put on benefits, or we say they're such horrible people that they shouldn't have either and should just starve.
Reply 61
Original post by limetang
Depends on the job, but to be quite frank what would you have us do with them? If they've served their time and are free then there are 3 options, either they work, they are put on benefits, or we say they're such horrible people that they shouldn't have either and should just starve.
There are options:

Life imprisonment.
Death sentence.
Close supervision, probation, tagging and tracking for life.
Chemical castration.
Surgical castration.

I expect there are others.
Original post by hi2u_uk
Perhaps if it was more visible eg by making ex rapists declare their crimes on job application forms and then seeing that they were unable to get jobs (or had to explain their actions to sympathetic people such as those on this site) . Maybe the number of rapists would reduce because people would think twice as they would know its something they couldn't just brush under the carpet after a few years

The purpose of the criminal justice system is to protect the public, get justice through punishment, act as a deterrent and rehabilitate offenders. There is a balance to be had in order to get all of these outcomes. It's no different for rape, violence or any other types of crime. Prison is supposed to be a deterrent but if you blacklist people for life, this is surely a deterrent but how are you ever going to rehabilitate them. They would having been ousted from society be justified in living away from societies rules.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 63
Original post by Jkruger1
The purpose of the criminal justice system is to protect the public, get justice through punishment, act as a deterrent and rehabilitate offenders. There is a balance to be had in order to get all of these outcomes. It's no different for rape, violence or any other types of crime. Prison is supposed to be a deterrent but if you blacklist people for life, this is surely a deterrent but how are you ever going to rehabilitate them. They would having been ousted from society be justified in living away from societies rules.

Posted from TSR Mobile

what is the problem here? . You make a choice so need to live with the consequences.
If you choose to rape someone and go gain a criminal record then you have taken a road in life and should live with the consequences.There seem to be a lot of people on this site who for some reason i do not understand, will still offer you a job wen you tell them it was something that happened a few years ago as an accident. I suspect this is not a normal response.
If you murder someone as they are trying to rape you then that should be declared on your application and you can justify that at the interview, Personally i would be much more understanding in this case however it should still be declared regardless of whether it was 5 months or 50 years ago
Original post by Simes
There are options:

Life imprisonment.
Death sentence.
Chemical castration.
Surgical castration.

How does castration stop them from re-offending, what have they go to lose?
Reply 65
Original post by DiddyDec
How does castration stop them from re-offending, what have they go to lose?
I meant in the context of rapists.
Original post by Simes
I meant in the context of rapists.

I know, but how does that stop them re-offending?
Original post by Simes
There are options:

Life imprisonment.
Death sentence.
Chemical castration.
Surgical castration.

To an extent we do the third option you've given. But the rest we don't do because we've decided that that's not how we want to punish them. So if they're going to be free at any point then they're going to need gainful employment just like everyone else.

You can argue for a COMPLETE overhaul of the way we punish crime, and you can argue that we don't punish it severely enough, but WITHIN the confines of our justice system as it is I really don't see what preventing convicted criminals from working helps.
Reply 68
I know, but how does that stop them re-offending?
I'm sitting here cross-legged and uncomfortable, courtesy of the web browsing I've just done.

I only suggested castration to provoke debate, knowing that chopping the knackers of bulls and dogs makes them less aggressive and lose interest in mating. However, it seems it is used in people too:

Castration as a preventative

Europeans Debate Castration of Sex Offenders

Sex offences advisor backs castration
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Simes
I'm sitting here cross-legged and uncomfortable, courtesy of the web browsing I've just done.

I only suggested castration to provoke debate, knowing that chopping the knackers of bulls and dogs makes them less aggressive and lose interest in mating. However, it seems it is used in people too:

Castration as a preventative

Europeans Debate Castration of Sex Offenders

Sex offences advisor backs castration

If people want to do it voluntarily then I have no problem with it. But forcing it upon anyone is barbaric.
Reply 70
If people want to do it voluntarily then I have no problem with it. But forcing it upon anyone is barbaric.
Actually, making it a condition for release makes it 'optional', when it is still a harsh punishment.

But the OP is saying it would be countering a harsh crime, and would it be more humane than a death sentence, a life sentence, or a worthless life spent on benefits?
Original post by Simes
Actually, making it a condition for release makes it 'optional', when it is still a harsh punishment.

But the OP is saying it would be countering a harsh crime, and would it be more humane than a death sentence, a life sentence, or a worthless life spent on benefits?

It should not be conditional either. It should be for people who actually want it.

Latest

Trending

Trending