(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by MathMeister
3sinx +4cos x is 5sin(x+53.1)
They do not graph the same. Why not?
They never seem to graph the same.
Please help +rep

They're graphing the same for me?

To be fair though, 3sinx+4cosx5sin(x+arctan(43))\displaystyle 3 \sin x + 4 \cos x \equiv 5 \sin\bigg(x + \arctan\bigg(\frac{4}{3}\bigg) \bigg).

Original post by Zacken
They're graphing the same for me?

What programme are you using if you don't mind me asking?
I have geogebra and have tried Wolfram alpha and they do not graph the same :/ :redface:
Reply 3
What programme are you using if you don't mind me asking?
I have geogebra and have tried Wolfram alpha and they do not graph the same :/ :redface:

Wolfram Alpha itself, make sure that you're using exclusively degrees or radians because of that 53.1 component of your sine function. Convert it to radians then input it back into Wolfram Alpha and see? :smile:
Reply 4
Update: They graph the same in Mathematica as well, if I use it in Radians mode.
Original post by Zacken
Wolfram Alpha itself, make sure that you're using exclusively degrees or radians because of that 53.1 component of your sine function. Convert it to radians then input it back into Wolfram Alpha and see? :smile:

Thanks!
Yeah- the 5sin(x+a) was being graphed as if it were in radians :redface:.
I converted it and it is now all good. Thanks!
Reply 6
Thanks!
Yeah- the 5sin(x+a) was being graphed as if it were in radians :redface:.
I converted it and it is now all good. Thanks!

Great. No problem. Always try and make sure of those small details in Alpha, she's a fickle lady. :wink:
Original post by Zacken
Great. No problem. Always try and make sure of those small details in Alpha, she's a fickle lady. :wink:

Haha :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest