The Student Room Group

I hate Vegetarians.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NHM713
LOL! Are you actually serious, now your twisting my words? How far we you go? Yep, and meditation, chakra balancing, you name it!

I suppose you rely solely of hard facts.

Posted from TSR Mobile

All I'm saying is that you haven't mentioned on the previous thread how a random process like evolution supports the "predicted" concent of an indigo child.
Anyway, we are going off topic.pm me if you want to continue.
Original post by Wade-
You're entire reply makes absolutely zero sense.

You use condoms? Toothpaste? Candles? Deodorant? Tires? All of these any so many more normal things people use everyday contain parts of animals

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't use condoms, candles, or deodorant, and I don't drive. I didn't know toothpaste contained animal products - I'll have to look into that. Thanks!
Original post by NHM713
LOL! Are you actually serious, now your twisting my words? How far we you go? Yep, and meditation, chakra balancing, you name it!

I suppose you rely solely of hard facts.

If you say ridiculous things and people quote them back to you, that's hardly twisting your words.
Reply 243
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
If you say ridiculous things and people quote them back to you, that's hardly twisting your words.

Is was not a quote, and it was not in context. So they :P
Original post by NHM713
Is was not a quote, and it was not in context. So they :P

Having read and commented on your indigo children thread, they were completely justified in saying what they said. =/
Reply 245
Having read and commented on your indigo children thread, they were completely justified in saying what they said. =/

Look I forgot to add NOT ok.
Reply 246
I don't use condoms, candles, or deodorant, and I don't drive. I didn't know toothpaste contained animal products - I'll have to look into that. Thanks!

You don't use deodorant? That's a little bit gross. You may not drive but you probably get on a bus or cycle? There are plenty more things you'll find if you look it up

Original post by NHM713
The only way you can justify eating meat, is for a medical requirement. Outside that, it is for the most part selfish.

Or that the animal is going to be killed anyway so you may as well use as much of it as you can

Posted from TSR Mobile
Vegetarians are pretentious, self-righteous hipsters who attempt to take any moral high ground in any situation. The only thing worse than a vegie is a vegan. Both should be incarnated and studied in isolation to determine what causes such mental deficiencies.
Judging from your comments, it appears that anybody and everybody are morally superior to you.
Hate to break it to you, but Vegetarians ARE morally superior to you in regards to meat eating. It is an outdated, cruel, unnecessary and selfish industry which slaughters millions of sentient beings after forcing them into a life of filth and pain beforehand. There are no moral reasons which justify the consumption of meat, that is a fact, the only reason that people can genuinely claim is that they eat meat purely because they like the taste. What annoys me is when people deny this fact and try and argue that there is anything remotely ethical behind the slaughter of fellow creatures. Animals are the same as us in that they feel the extremely strong instinct to survive; to flee from danger;to protect their young and to remove themselves from danger and pain. Yes they may not be able to ponder the meaning of life, but that does not make their right to life any less than that of a human. Fact.
Reply 250
Original post by simbasdragon
Hate to break it to you, but Vegetarians ARE morally superior to you in regards to meat eating. It is an outdated, cruel, unnecessary and selfish industry which slaughters millions of sentient beings after forcing them into a life of filth and pain beforehand. There are no moral reasons which justify the consumption of meat, that is a fact, the only reason that people can genuinely claim is that they eat meat purely because they like the taste. What annoys me is when people deny this fact and try and argue that there is anything remotely ethical behind the slaughter of fellow creatures. Animals are the same as us in that they feel the extremely strong instinct to survive; to flee from danger;to protect their young and to remove themselves from danger and pain. Yes they may not be able to ponder the meaning of life, but that does not make their right to life any less than that of a human. Fact.

But fish have instinct to survive and you could even argue plants do so why is it ok for people to eat those? The simple fact is if we stopped eating meat most of those animals would die because they've evolved to become domesticated and couldn't survive in the wild

Posted from TSR Mobile

Morals are subjective.

I love the taste of meat. I also love going out hunting for that meat.

An animals life is worth much less than my life. I am a top predator and they the prey. That is nature in action.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wade-
You don't use deodorant? That's a little bit gross. You may not drive but you probably get on a bus or cycle? There are plenty more things you'll find if you look it up

Or that the animal is going to be killed anyway so you may as well use as much of it as you can

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't cycle, but I do travel by bus from time to time. In that case, I'm sharing four tires with about twenty other people, which is about the minimum tire use I could manage and still actually get around.
Reply 253
I don't cycle, but I do travel by bus from time to time. In that case, I'm sharing four tires with about twenty other people, which is about the minimum tire use I could manage and still actually get around.

But you're still using something made with dead animals in. I could use that same point to explain why I eat meat - 'I don't really like any vegetables so what else am I supposed to eat?'

Posted from TSR Mobile
[deleted]
(edited 5 years ago)

Plants are alive. Just because they cannot move doesn't mean they don't want to survive there are very interesting plants that can do amazing things.

I'm assuming you eat plants.

And you are not morally superior. You feel you are morally superior.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wade-
But fish have instinct to survive and you could even argue plants do so why is it ok for people to eat those? The simple fact is if we stopped eating meat most of those animals would die because they've evolved to become domesticated and couldn't survive in the wild

Posted from TSR Mobile

Vegetarians don't eat fish either, if they did they would be considered Pescetarians, not Vegetarians. 'Some breeds have been so changed from their natural ancestor that it would be kinder to let them die out. For example, broiler chickens and turkeys bred for meat are often so obese that they can barely walk and suffer from crippling leg disorders. However we could set up large nature reserves for the more traditional (now rare) breeds that haven't been so changed.' Basically farm animals do not breed on their own, it is the farmer who artificially inseminates or forces their breeding, so if farmers no longer bred these animals, and allowed them to live in the best conditions possible, eventually the number of domesticated animal would be small enough to release into the wild(depending on what sort of animals it is and if they would be able to survive). Either way, far far less animals will die from vegetarianism, than they do from the farming and factory industry.
Original post by doctorwhofan98
If someone doesn't eat meat because of the taste, and then goes on to eat meat-like things, then that doesn't make sense, but a lot of the time it isn't the case.

I see exactly where you're coming from, however in my opinion meat-free products and meat taste completely different. Also, I can eat 5 quorn burgers knowing it's not going to make me obese and there are no bones/eyes/horses in it (not that I'd mind eating horses, I'd just like to know first). For me the biggest thing other than the taste is the fat.
Gave up meat about 18 months ago and gradually moving towards giving up eggs and dairy too. I find it fascinating how half the people i work with just accept it like adults, show a bit of curiosity and maybe politely ask you a few questions, and the other half develop this weird obsession with what is essentially a private thing. They almost choke on their own smugness if they spot an opportunity to 'catch me out' for my supposed lack of logic or make me look a hypocrite because i haven't followed my principles to absolute perfection 100% of the time.

There's something about a person not eating meat that clearly frightens and confuses a lot of people so they subconsciously project a negative image onto them about them being morally superior and 'preachy' to hide their own insecurities. I know because when i ate meat i used to think the same, yet when i really gave it thought i couldn't summon any memory of a vegetarian being that way.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Evening
Vegetarians are pretentious, self-righteous hipsters who attempt to take any moral high ground in any situation. The only thing worse than a vegie is a vegan. Both should be incarnated and studied in isolation to determine what causes such mental deficiencies.

Illogical hasty generalizations, first of all. Secondly, do you have any evidence that vegetarians and vegans have "mental deficiencies". The only study I know of which compared the mental abilities of vegetarians and meat-eaters found that the average vegetarian has a higher IQ than the average meat-eater. Your emotional reaction to vegetarians is certainly curious.

Original post by Wade-

Vegetarians do not eat fish. Vegans do not eat fish. Plants do not feel pain or suffer; they lack sentience. Many of the nonhuman animals that we keep in farms, in a vegan world, would probably be looked after until they died of natural causes. Think about it - if we come to the point at which the flesh of nonhuman animals is no longer eaten, it's obvious that people will care enough about the nonhuman animals to want the best for them. Those released into the wild would simply live out a life in which they were free to make their own choices.

Original post by DiddyDec
Morals are subjective.

I love the taste of meat. I also love going out hunting for that meat.

An animals life is worth much less than my life. I am a top predator and they the prey. That is nature in action.

You are an animal, first of all. Second of all, morals have to at least be logically coherent. On what basis is a nonhuman animal's life worth much less than your own, and why do you discount their interests? Would you have any moral objection to me going out to hunt a severely intellectually disabled human being or a human infant?

And, I'd query that morals are subjective. Why do your interests matter more than anyone else's? Why should you pursue your own interests, which clearly exist, if others' interests, the existence of which is undeniable from an empirical standpoint, also exist?

Original post by reallydontknow
Plants are alive. Just because they cannot move doesn't mean they don't want to survive there are very interesting plants that can do amazing things. I'm assuming you eat plants.

Plants cannot think. They are not sentient. When we eat them or when we produce them, they do not feel pain or suffer. Even if they could, meat-eaters would be eating a lot more plants, because basic GCSE biology tells us that energy is lost at each step in the food chain, hence nonhuman animals reared for meat have to eat a lot of plant protein before they are slaughtered, so meat-eaters are responsible for those plant deaths plus the death of the nonhuman animal plus the deaths of any other plants they eat.

So, either way, vegetarians cause the least suffering. Unless one is amoral, and believes that inflicting unnecessary suffering on anyone or anything is perfectly justifiable, then I'm afraid vegetarians are more moral, all other things being equal.

However, if a meat-eater ate 1,000 pigs and a vegetarian (that is, somebody who doesn't eat meat) paid somebody to torture 10,000 pigs, then the meat-eater would obviously be morally superior.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending