The Student Room Group

Feminism and biology.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Dalek1099
Do you mean physically weak here?I think most people would class people who are physically disabled physically weak they wouldn't last long in a boxing ring and its similar for mental illness as well people who have them can't stand as much stress and it takes less for it to be to much for them compared to other people.

You do raise a very important point men do experience anxiety but hide it a lot more I don't think most of the people I know would think I do but I do my family knows about my issues but I usually keep most of it private as I don't want to be perceived as weak even though I am mentally weak.

No, I meant mentally weak. Mental illnesses are exactly that; illnesses, just like physical ones. To put it simply, somewhere in your brain the chemistry has gone wrong and caused anxiety, just like it can also cause issues such as infertility or autoimmune diseases. My point is that none of these have any bearing on whether or not one is a mentally strong person.

Please please please do not think of yourself as mentally weak due to your illness.
Reply 41
Original post by bittr n swt
Man up just means grow some balls it's not sexist.

Erm, I'm afraid it is sexist even in those terms. That reminds me of when Terroja Kincaid (a.k.a. The Amazing Atheist) told a woman to grow a set of balls. That made me cringe.

"Have some courage" or "don't be a coward" might be a less sexist way of putting it, methinks.
Original post by Mequa
Erm, I'm afraid it is sexist even in those terms. That reminds me of when Terroja Kincaid (a.k.a. The Amazing Atheist) told a woman to grow a set of balls. That made me cringe.

"Have some courage" or "don't be a coward" might be a less sexist way of putting it, methinks.

what part of grow some balls is sexist? Is it because girls dont bave balls too?

how on earth can you say have some courage MIGHT be less sexist....the fact that you think that is still sexist speaks volumes of yourself...i won't take you seriously
Reply 43
It means outcomes will never be equal, it doesn't mean they shouldn't be given equal rights and opportunities.
Reply 44
what part of grow some balls is sexist? Is it because girls dont bave balls too?

how on earth can you say have some courage MIGHT be less sexist....the fact that you think that is still sexist speaks volumes of yourself...i won't take you seriously

wtf
Original post by Mequa
wtf

great response. Use your brain, learn to read and then give a response to my reply above. It's not that hard
Feminism is about the social, political and economical equality of the sexes. However, let me link you to the image of a five foot four, 115 pound woman carrying a 240 pound, six foot four marine on her shoulders as you seem to be in denial about the existence of physically strong women: liilyevanspotter.tumblr.com/post/94923267101/bitterassfandom-rae-rose-rad-and-brokeIf properly trained, women can show incredible feats of strength too. It goes down to the individual, not the entire gender. There are lots of women out there stronger than the average man and there are lots of women out there stronger than the average women. BOTH genders can be strong.
Reply 47
You're absolutely right and it's been proven too.

Care to back that up?
Original post by adorbat
Care to back that up?

not really as i'm busy to find the article
Reply 49
Original post by tim_123
i actually agree with what your saying. Well put

Well I'm glad I got through to you. I'm a feminist, and my beliefs are by no means out of the ordinary, so hopefully I've shown that "feminist" is not synonymous with "nutter" as others have said.

However, I would point out that in order to be taken seriously, I had to focus on how feminism is important to men. Just something to think about.
Reply 50
not really as i'm busy to find the article

Very convenient. :wink:
Reply 51
Original post by HuggleyDuck
Feminism is about the social, political and economical equality of the sexes. However, let me link you to the image of a five foot four, 115 pound woman carrying a 240 pound, six foot four marine on her shoulders as you seem to be in denial about the existence of physically strong women: liilyevanspotter.tumblr.com/post/94923267101/bitterassfandom-rae-rose-rad-and-brokeIf properly trained, women can show incredible feats of strength too. It goes down to the individual, not the entire gender. There are lots of women out there stronger than the average man and there are lots of women out there stronger than the average women. BOTH genders can be strong.

unfortunately, I'm probably one of the few people that has experienced working with women in a Warzone, and yes, whilst that one woman could lift a 240 pound marine, I unfortunately found the women to be a complete burden that you constantly had to look after, make adjustments for, and make exceptions for. Which is the opposite of what you want to have to be doing in an operational environment.

Every female soldier I've ever met has agreed they don't belong in front line roles because they just aren't strong enough
Original post by drowzee
Well I believe it is a bit of both. What saddens me is that you have extremists in ever group, and the extremists tend to be the loudest, and have their voice heard the most, thus more media hype. Their nonsensical opinions are being picked up by the media because these feminists have a louder voice, and it is more entertaining to read about. We don't care about most of the trivial issues, we care about real issues like gender roles, equal pay, parental custody etc. Most feminists actually do care about men's issues as well as women's.

I'd also like to mention these so called radical feminists are not actually feminists, they are misandrists.

Do you think it's right to say that patriarchy is the fundamental problem, with men (as a group) oppressing women (as a group)?

Would you agree that males and stereotypically masculine attributes are socially accepted as 'the norm' from which women and female attributes deviate?

Are you of the opinion that uprooting patriarchy and gender roles plays a fundamental role in freeing women from systematic oppression?
Original post by tim_123
what about when feminists say it is sexist to use the term 'man up', because it implies men are stronger than women.

Is that what's supposedly wrong with the term? Or is it that it assumes a stereotype about the character and nature of men? Whether the stereotype is bravery or recklessness or something else entirely depends mostly upon one's political agenda :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending