The Student Room Group

'Men Shouldn't hit women' - Does anyone believe in this sexist notion?

Scroll to see replies

Hitting is fine in self defense whatever the gender.

Although if some woman slapped me in a verbal argument or something I would be ****ing angry but I don;t think I would hit her back.
Original post by Chucklevisionary
Does anyone here believe that men shouldn't hit women no matter the circumstances? (i.e she hits him first/ provokes him to an extent that anyone may hit someone). I'm interested in people's opinions (particularly those which believe this is a rule which should be adhered to).
Note: I don't believe people should hit each other as a rule, regardless of gender and am very annoyed/shocked when I hear people say the phrase in the thread title.

Lol, no one should hit anyone. Why is this even a question?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by megannlizz
Lol, no one should hit anyone. Why is this even a question?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know it seems ridiculous but the majority of people seem to think that men getting hit by women is comical or somehow 'he must have deserved it' whilst if the roles are reserved it is seen as a deplorable cowardly act. I agree, hitting people is hardly civilised and people shouldn't resort to violence.
Original post by bassbabe
ffs stop trying to justify violence, about "it's fair/ it's equality". How about no one hits anyone!!! Kmt :mad:

It's not justifying violence, it's about the drastic inequality in terms of the public's perception of violence between the genders which can be very damaging to both genders but particularly men.
Don't initiate an attack on someone, if someone does hit you hit them back. Doesn't matter if you're bigger or smaller then them, people need to be held responsible for their actions.

If someone is stupid enough to hit someone physically stronger then them unprovoked, they deserve to get their ass kicked.
Reply 45
I don't think anyone should be violent but if a woman did something that I would hit a man for doing then I'd hit her too as I'm an egalitarian

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by caravaggio2
Sexism 1.01

A very good friend of mine was put into an ICU and almost killed by a female thug wielding a high heeled shoe. The reason?
He is a nice guy and didn't defend himself like he would with a man and turned away from her for a second.

It's not that uncommon either.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...in-prison.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...el-jailed.html

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/St...ail/story.html

http://www.glamour.com/fashion/blogs...r-shoes-florid

http://www.cravenherald.co.uk/news/9...pon_in_brawl_/

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/new...t_told/?ref=mr

Are you suggesting that six examples prove a general rule wrong?

Consider the following: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8477683
No one should hit anyone but I hate the idea that some people (not all) think that if a guy pisses of a girl she can slap him but if a girl pisses off a guy he can't hit her back. You can't have one rule for one sex and another rule for the other.
Original post by B-FJL3
Of course, what kind of uncivilised society would we be living in if that were acceptable? A gentleman (and all men should aspire to behave as one) should never strike a woman. Not only is it cowardly, it is dishonourable, it sets a poor example to others and displays weakness.

The fact that a woman has struck you is no excuse. Just because someone else is behaving badly does not mean you should sink to their level.

Obviously this is a practical convention, not a cast-iron, inflexible rule. If someone has homicidal intent or is likely to do you serious harm then you may defend yourself within reason, but I rather think that goes without saying.

Why on earth are you shocked and annoyed by this very sensible convention?

"the fact that a woman has struck you is no excuse" where do you draw the line, would you say the same if a man struck you? If not you're being sexist. As I have said in previous comments the reason for this thread was to discuss the large inequality in society in terms of how violence is perceived depending on the gender of the person who is committing the act. I've never hit someone of either gender, nor can I imagine I will. I am shocked and annoyed by this 'practical convention' which has negatively impacted mainly men, particularly those in cases of domestic violence.
Original post by Munrot07
No one should hit anyone but I hate the idea that some people (not all) think that if a guy pisses of a girl she can slap him but if a girl pisses off a guy he can't hit her back. You can't have one rule for one sex and another rule for the other.

I agree and it is the inequality of the 'social rule' you mentioned that prompted me to create this thread. However, some people seem to think this somehow means that I promote violence which I unequivocally do not.
Original post by tomfailinghelp
Ideally, nobody should hit anybody.

No one should hit anyone

Original post by Wade-
I don't think anyone should be violent

Original post by bassbabe
ffs stop trying to justify violence, about "it's fair/ it's equality". How about no one hits anyone!!! Kmt :mad:

guys, do you honestly expect people to assume you didn't think this part if you didn't say it? I really hate how people have to tip-toe into this discussion when it comes to women and (contextually deserved) violence - so I really wish people didn't have to expect that they must dance around this by having to say "I don't think anybody should hit anybody" - is *anybody* at all suggesting that anybody should have the right to hit people for not starting any violence? nobody's trying to justify *innocent people* being harmed - just people who deserve it, and sometimes, that just happens to be women! imagine if we were talking about this with foreign policy and war - if france invaded germany and everybody was saying "oh, nobody should be invading anybody!!" no ****ing ****. and I can imagine people honestly saying "germany is a bigger country so it shouldn't fight back" just like people saying "men are bigger and stronger and therefore shouldn't hit back"
(edited 9 years ago)
I think it's not only about the sex. Someone strong hitting someone weak is a bit douchey. And, as much as some crazy feminazi will scream noooo, women are usually weaker than men.
But if she hits first, she's clearly not a lady so feel free to restrain that bitch :h:

pretty much explains it
for example, I grew up to think boys and girls/men and women were equal, and had equal rights, and were equal in pretty much every sense except for anatomy. this meant, naturally, I saw absolutely nothing wrong with hitting girls (in retaliation, not to throw a first punch) - I had an older sister who I'd get into *huge* physical fights with quite a lot of the time. I consider myself, due to this, more "gender-equality" supporting than basically anybody I've met so far in my life. everybody is always willing to recede on the logic of equality and say "oh guys shouldn't hit girls...because...well...gee, I don't know, they just shouldn't" - it reminds me of the reasoning of believing in religion: "because...well golly...that's just what I was brought up to think". *I* was merely brought up to think people in society weren't unequal. that's literally it. I wasn't taught either to, or to not, hit girls. I *was*, however, taught, to *always* stand up for myself no matter who it is that's trying to pick on me or fight with me. that concept cannot possibly be gender-biased.

if you think that girls should be given some kind of special treatment, then you are the reason there is still sexism in society, like that awful statistic of corporation boardroom deficiencies of women staff, and a lack of female politicians etc due to these proliferated gender-norms - you CANNOT say women are equal in a meaningful way unless you absolutely discard any kind of societal or cultural privilege or discrimination - women are no longer "precious flowers" and the further you treat them like this, such as in a physical confrontation (if they're starting the fight especially), they will NEVER get the equality feminists are always bleating for. never at all. to appeal to a logic of "ladies first" and "don't hit girls" and "ladies should get paid for on dates" is to metaphorically put back on that 1950s top hat and overcoat. just sayin'. you can tell me you don't agree with my opinion, but you can't, by any kind of objective and neutral standard, tell me that the reasoning is wrong.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by B-FJL3
x

I'll briefly expand on the point about it negatively affecting men (and women too as it reinforces traditional gender roles). Using domestic violence as an example, from a young age it is ingrained into people that women slapping men (as often used for 'comedic' purposes in films) is acceptable. Therefore, a man may think that their partner resorting to physical means to express their feelings is acceptable, which it is obviously not. This can then quickly escalate. The General public will generally be far more tolerant of him being abused by a female partner simply because of his gender and there misguided views that somehow violence perpetrated by a female against a male is far more acceptable than if the roles were reversed.
Also, this whole notion has transcended to the legal system as men who retaliate when they are attacked by women are branded as the 'thug' or 'coward'. I remember seeing in the news quite recently of a woman randomly hitting a male bystander, he retaliates with equal force and his face is shown all over the web, labelled as a 'ruffian', needless to say many believe she is the victim. Here is a video which shows the difference in public perception: (whilst it's not very scientific I find it mirrors reality)

Thanks for the reply, whilst I still disagree, you did make several well thought out points.:smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Kadak
Who's hit was harder?

Mine :wink:
Here is where you end with a rule of men can't hit women whatever the situation.

"I dinnay hit lassies"

Schoolgirl taunts and punches male pupil in North Lanarkshire: https://youtu.be/9LhDqmXSXWU

Cowards come with x chromosomes too. The times in the past when I have seen women hit men, they never would have done so if they thought for one second that they were going to get a slap back. Only a coward hits somebody thinking they can't possibly hit back.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending