The Student Room Group

Why do some white people have a hard time understanding white privilege?

Scroll to see replies

To ask a blunt question, what is the point of 'understanding white privilege'?

People shouldn't discriminate or treat people differently regardless of their skin colour, or whether they've been born in a country in which the biggest demographics also reflect them - period, and I think everybody agrees with that.
I don't think anybody wants to be treated as a victim either - I mean one of the points on the list is that people don't want others saying "oh wow didn't so and so do brilliantly considering their skin colour?" - number 14.

So given that we're all agreed racism and discrimination are bad and that ethnic minorities are not seeking a pity party because it's patronising as all hell... what exactly is supposed to come from this list? White people are supposed to feel guilty and ethnic minorities to develop some kind of victim complex?

We're all just people.
Original post by jedanselemyia
This is just a forum, calm down.
That's the point. Do you see bandages being for dark skinned black people? It seems silly at first but it's trying to show that products in general are geared towards white people, regardless of the fact they're the majority or not.

Surely if you are making a product to sell then you would market it towards the majority to get more sales and therefore more money.

The purpose of a business is to make money.
Original post by Dalek1099
This seems a thread where people are trying to justify their failures and problems due to their colour.http://www.bookwormroom.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Black-and-white-crime-statistics.pngThat link should open some minds about this "white privilege" need I remind you what colour the president of the USA is?-If white privilege was as you say it is people wouldn't have voted him in due to his colour.

Lol, there's a mixed president so racism doesn't exist anymore? :tongue:

Original post by TheWoke
LOL! I was wondering how in the hell he came to that conclusion but I couldn't even be bothered to question him.I actually cannot believe some peoples thought processes.

He deleted his post so he must have realised this.
Privilege doesn't get you to the moon. Talent does.

Reply 64
Original post by Zargabaath
I know full well that we aren't all viewed as equal by everyone, however I think the majority do. What do you mean by a "bit brown"? If I was slightly lighter would that mean my views were somehow less valid? Does it have to become a pissing contest of who's darker? Not that it matters but I am unmistakable as Asian, I don't looked mixed or anything like that. I have personally endured racism, but I'm not stupid enough to think the entire white race is trying to oppress me.

Sure there are problems with members certain races being treated a certain way, but crying about non-issues like pretty much everything in that list helps no-one. I'd go as far to say it results in people taking the larger issues much less seriously.

I think it is easy to assume because I agree with the OP that I am of a certain ethnicity.

Lol I am just aware of what goes on in society and don't dismiss things from other peoples perspective just because it doesn't necessarily negatively affect me.

1)Have you ever heard of colourism
2) Nobody is saying the entire white race is trying to oppress all PoC. Your comprehension skills are really poor if you think that is the message the Op was trying to relay. She even reiterated 'SOME'.
3) to you they may be non-issues but to them they may have a big impact. And education,job prospects, social treatment etc. is not a non-issue to most and those are issues PoC often battle with. As you are a person of colour I am surprised at your lack of empathy towards issues that people of colour often go through.
This issue in particular caters to white people in the US. Having a white dad who's into reggae and rap, I'm aware than the artist's skin colour isn't the reason.
They're not "my" 26 points

I know you didn't come up with the 26 points, but you presented them in your OP. They were written by Peggy McIntosh (an American) in an essay in 1988 - how many of the points do you believe apply to 2015 Britain?
Most of these are ludicrous.

For instance: When I am told about our national heritage or about “civilization,” I am shown that people of my color made it what it is.

This is because Western countries and civilisation are essentially the work of white people. If an Eskimo moves to Vienna do you expect Austrians to somehow make him feel like his ancestors were part and partial of the works of Mozart?

I can if I wish arrange to be in the company of people of my race most of the time.

This is because the country is vast majority white. And what about if you're a white kid in Bethnal Green? You'd find it hard to be in the company of just white people let me tell you for the same reason.

I can take a job with an affirmative action employer without having co-workers on the job suspect that I got it because of race.

Reasonable suspicion. The M.O. of AM programmes is to exactly what they suspect after all.

I can go into a music shop and count on finding the music of my race represented, into a supermarket and find the staple foods which fit with my cultural traditions, into a hairdresser’s shop and find someone who can cut my hair.

+
I can easily buy posters, postcards, picture books, greeting cards, dolls, toys, and children’s magazine featuring people of my race.
I can choose blemish cover or bandages in “flesh” color and have them more or less match my skin.

Again, this is because minorities are, well minorities. If I move to China I wouldnt be angry that the majority of profit seeking shops catered for the Chinese majority, and if I did I'd expect to be told to STFU. And anyway, what's to stop people setting up these enterprises themselves? There is not a thing stopping it.

I can turn on the television or open to the front page of the paper and see people of my race widely represented.

You dont think minorities are on TV roughly 90% of the time? I.e. in line with the % of the population.

I can criticize our government and talk about how much I fear its policies and behavior without being seen as a cultural outsider.

Depends on the context. If you make a case against general fiscal policy or on devolution etc then people will judge the arguement. If however your criticisms are explicitly centred on racial/ethnic issues then of course you'll be perceived as a cultural outsider, because you yourself have set yourself up in that way. . It makes no sense to rant about racial issues to white people and then be amazed when you're seen as coming from a different background as them.
Original post by DiddyDec
Surely if you are making a product to sell then you would market it towards the majority to get more sales and therefore more money. The purpose of a business is to make money.

That's what's being criticised
By the way, good for you if you like being a white man.
Reply 68
Original post by Zargabaath
I know what you mean, how can people who agree with the OP be this ​out of touch with reality

I just pray you or your family does not experience racism or any of the negative effects of this privilege... because apparently 'it doesnt exist' .. ' no one sees colour' ... people just 'use the race card' to make up for their lack of talent and 'racism is outdated'.

I pray no one dismisses discrimination you face as you making excuses. Enjoy your day :smile:
Or, it could be that white people would rather buy a CD based on the artist's skin colour rather than on the quality of his craft.

Er... no. No it couldn't.

Could you name one person who would go "I like that rapper better because he's my skin colour"? People that think like that are a tiny minority group, it does not account for eminem's massive success compared to other rap artists.
Original post by Duncan2012
I know you didn't come up with the 26 points, but you presented them in your OP. They were written by Peggy McIntosh (an American) in an essay in 1988 - how many of the points do you believe apply to 2015 Britain?

All of them unfortunately (and no, that doesn't make me an idiot)
Reply 71
Original post by seaholme
To ask a blunt question, what is the point of 'understanding white privilege'?

People shouldn't discriminate or treat people differently regardless of their skin colour, or whether they've been born in a country in which the biggest demographics also reflect them - period, and I think everybody agrees with that.
I don't think anybody wants to be treated as a victim either - I mean one of the points on the list is that people don't want others saying "oh wow didn't so and so do brilliantly considering their skin colour?" - number 14.

So given that we're all agreed racism and discrimination are bad and that ethnic minorities are not seeking a pity party because it's patronising as all hell... what exactly is supposed to come from this list? White people are supposed to feel guilty and ethnic minorities to develop some kind of victim complex?

We're all just people.

Exactly. I don't see the point in this - it doesn't solve anything.

Also, please can we keep tumblr off TSR?
Don't know if this point has been made, but America and the west, in general the prominent race is white. I'm sure if a white man moves to Baghdad he won't exactly experience "white privilege"
Reply 73
Original post by The Wavefunction
Don't know if this point has been made, but America and the west, in general the prominent race is white. I'm sure if a white man moves to Baghdad he won't exactly experience "white privilege"

Cool reversal of the point but are you inadvertently agreeing that white privilege exists in western societies then?
Reply 74
Understanding white privilege is necessary because understanding it occurs is one of the first steps to combating discrimination. If you are in denial of its existence then no change can come. Thought that was pretty self-explanatory but everyone keeps saying why do we need to understand :s
I don't have a hard time understanding it, I just don't care.
(and no, that doesn't make me an idiot)

Debatable.
Original post by TheWoke
Cool reversal of the point but are you inadvertently agreeing that white privilege exists in western societies then?

This isn't white privilege, this is demographics. If you lived in a society where the majority of people were 7ft tall, blue skinned, yellow haired people then of course they will be the people who feature most predominantly on tv, books, music, news stories, be the president, be in high-profile jobs etc.

Go to China, who is most visible there? Go to Saudi Arabia, who is most visible there? Go to Iceland, who is most visible there? Demographics.
I knew someone would post something about this.
White privilege isn't denial of racism against white people. The concept of white privilege is applicable to Western society and to nowhere else due to the specific heritage of scientific, academic racism and colonialism, genocide that white countries applied on their colonies and slaves. However, it does dismiss the concept of reverse racism in Western society because white people are the majority and haven't been abused in history as other PoCs have.
Now, this doesn't mean that white people can't be discriminated against in certain countries. Zimbabwe is a very good example (notice how it's not in the Western world...) and it is absolutely revolting. Learning about it did challenge my views on oppression and racism. I think that the same can't be said for South Africa, though.
Also, please don't tell me to not "speak as some kind of authority" because I'm not. That's just rude and arrogant

Your first sentence makes it sound as if I'm causing some kind of inconvenience to you by raising the very real and present nature of white genocide in Zimbabwe, I'm sorry that you have to hear opposing opinions, that must be very hard for you. Also, it is interesting that you (and for that matter the majority of those in the media) would rather comment on the effect of carefully chosen 18th/19th century episodes of genocide, rather than the ones occurring as we speak, which I am afraid to say suggests some kind of agenda/bias on your part.

Now, addressing your response, again I will stress that white privilege is a conceptual opinion/theory of a minority of people so I really find it distasteful the way you are speaking about it as a set in stone fact that is widely accepted. The majority of people in the West where it is applied, find it an abhorrent and grossly unfair analysis of Western culture to say the least. (the most tolerant part of the globe by a lengthy margin).

Also, my opinions are as follows. The idea of reverse racism not being possible is a fantasy and convenient distraction from the reality. Do I think its racist when a man is murdered for the colour of his skin if that skin happens to be white, YES. There is no power structure in place in that confrontation, its a simple racist murder. In fact, the whole idea that racism can only be equated with institutional power, is one recently invented by the proponents of your views. I also believe that any concept of institutional racism is in any case a falsehood anyway, and lacks real evidence. Some people cite the popular experiment of 'black-sounding' names on job applications, but anyone who studies statistical analysis/econometrics will understand the flaws in that analysis. In fact this week, the fact that more ethnic minority and women MPs were elected than ever before, flys in the face of your theory quite frankly, especially as this was a concerted effort by all dominant parties, not a coincidence.

Two final questions for you:

1) I'd be interested to find out how the Zimbabwe genocide situation challenged your views?

2) Why is it that you believe South Africa does not have racism problem against its white citizens?
Original post by Zürich
Most of these are ludicrous. For instance: When I am told about our national heritage or about “civilization,” I am shown that people of my color made it what it is.This is because Western countries and civilisation are essentially the work of white people. If an Eskimo moves to Vienna do you expect Austrians to somehow make him feel like his ancestors were part and partial of the works of Mozart? I can if I wish arrange to be in the company of people of my race most of the time.This is because the country is vast majority white. And what about if you're a white kid in Bethnal Green? You'd find it hard to be in the company of just white people let me tell you for the same reason. I can take a job with an affirmative action employer without having co-workers on the job suspect that I got it because of race.Reasonable suspicion. The M.O. of AM programmes is to exactly what they suspect after all. I can go into a music shop and count on finding the music of my race represented, into a supermarket and find the staple foods which fit with my cultural traditions, into a hairdresser’s shop and find someone who can cut my hair.+ I can easily buy posters, postcards, picture books, greeting cards, dolls, toys, and children’s magazine featuring people of my race. I can choose blemish cover or bandages in “flesh” color and have them more or less match my skin.Again, this is because minorities are, well minorities. If I move to China I wouldnt be angry that the majority of profit seeking shops catered for the Chinese majority, and if I did I'd expect to be told to STFU. And anyway, what's to stop people setting up these enterprises themselves? There is not a thing stopping it. I can turn on the television or open to the front page of the paper and see people of my race widely represented.You dont think minorities are on TV roughly 90% of the time? I.e. in line with the % of the population. I can criticize our government and talk about how much I fear its policies and behavior without being seen as a cultural outsider.Depends on the context. If you make a case against general fiscal policy or on devolution etc then people will judge the arguement. If however your criticisms are explicitly centred on racial/ethnic issues then of course you'll be perceived as a cultural outsider, because you yourself have set yourself up in that way. . It makes no sense to rant about racial issues to white people and then be amazed when you're seen as coming from a different background as them.

Nice bogus example. It's unlikely that an Eskimo would live in Austria because Greenland wasn't an Austrian colony. However would you deny black people and other minorities like East and South Asians haven't participated in construction of Britain through the pillage of their countries and their slavery?
Again, white people in China are a negligable minority?
Speaking about racial issues in which I am at disadvantage is legitimate and I don't think people should be perceived negatively if they do. Maybe these people you talk about should realise that having a different opinion than them on these issues doesn't make others outsiders?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending