The Student Room Group

Why does H3O+ have a positive charge?

can someone please explain to me why H3O+ has a positive charge?
Original post by cilla_e
can someone please explain to me why H3O+ has a positive charge?

Heya, I'm going to put this in the chemistry forum for you as you should get more responses there. :smile:

You should also check out the forum to see if there's any other threads there which might be helpful to you!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=130
this is my educated guess so it might not be correct but this is what i'd assume

so H2O has 2 lone pairs right? that means it can form a dative covalent bond with something that has no electrons in outer shell.

when H loses an electron, it becomes H+ and has no electrons

this means it can form a dative bond with the O in H2O

because the H is charged, it makes the entire molecule positive

so H3O has a + charge

i hope this helps!
Reply 3
Original post by timelizard
this is my educated guess so it might not be correct but this is what i'd assume

so H2O has 2 lone pairs right? that means it can form a dative covalent bond with something that has no electrons in outer shell.

when H loses an electron, it becomes H+ and has no electrons

this means it can form a dative bond with the O in H2O

because the H is charged, it makes the entire molecule positive

so H3O has a + charge

i hope this helps!

thank you! this really helped
Original post by cilla_e
thank you! this really helped

If you draw out the structure of the hydroxonium ion H3O+, you will see that the central oxygen has 8 electrons in its outer shell while each hydrogen does not have any other electrons except the shared pair (which is part of the oxygen octet).

H3O+.gif

Total protons in the structure = 8 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 11 protons
Total electrons in the structure = 8(octet) + 2 (oxygen inner shell) = 10 electrons

Hence one more proton than electron, overall 1+
Reply 5
Original post by charco
If you draw out the structure of the hydroxonium ion H3O+, you will see that the central oxygen has 8 electrons in its outer shell while each hydrogen does not have any other electrons except the shared pair (which is part of the oxygen octet).

Total protons in the structure = 8 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 11 protons
Total electrons in the structure = 8(octet) + 2 (oxygen inner shell) = 10 electrons

Hence one more proton than electron, overall 1+

thank you! i think i got confused because the "+" is next to oxygen lol

Quick Reply

Latest