The Student Room Group

What marks will I need for a...

Hi everyone,

I know my marks for a few controlled assessments in various subjects, and I was wondering whether anyone could tell me what marks I would need in the exam to get a certain grade. For example, if i got 85% in the coursework worth 30%, what would I need for an A grade in the exam worth 70%?

I wouldn't be less ambitious and think "ooh I only need x to get an A*, so I'll put less effort into revision", it's just it would be somewhat comforting leaving the exam thinking "i got a good grade on my controlled assessment, so perhaps I could get away with getting a few marks less than the required amount on the exam", that's all.

Anyway,

I got 48 out of 50 on my WJEC History controlled assessment worth 25% - any ideas on what I would need for an A or A* in the exam that is out of 54?

Again I got 48 out of 50 on my AQA English Lit coursework worth 40%, what would I need in the exam for an A*. My 48/50 translates as 79 UMS if that helps. What marks on the exam (out of 75) should get an A*?

I know that grade boundaries change every year and that it is about UMS rather than raw marks, but I have struggled to convert raw to UMS and use this to get grade boundaries.

Many thanks if you can help me on this - I would really appreciate it.
Reply 1
Original post by joddcfc
I got 48 out of 50 on my WJEC History controlled assessment worth 25% - any ideas on what I would need for an A or A* in the exam that is out of 54?

No one knows for certain as the raw grade boundaries for the CA and exam won't have been decided yet so this is all fairly pointless, but a high A should be sufficient.

Original post by joddcfc
Again I got 48 out of 50 on my AQA English Lit coursework worth 40%, what would I need in the exam for an A*. My 48/50 translates as 79 UMS if that helps. What marks on the exam (out of 75) should get an A*?

AQA English Literature controlled assessment is only worth 25% of the GCSE (max 50UMS). There are 2 exams,.one with a max UMS of 80 and one of 70.
Reply 2
Original post by Compost
No one knows for certain as the raw grade boundaries for the CA and exam won't have been decided yet so this is all fairly pointless, but a high A should be sufficient.

AQA English Literature controlled assessment is only worth 25% of the GCSE (max 50UMS). There are 2 exams,.one with a max UMS of 80 and one of 70.

Thanks for that :smile: although the English Lit is definitely 40:60, as my teacher has always said this and has showed us that UMS is out of 80 for the coursework. Maybe we are doing a slightly different qualification - one of might be doing iGCSE perhaps?
Original post by joddcfc
Thanks for that :smile: although the English Lit is definitely 40:60, as my teacher has always said this and has showed us that UMS is out of 80 for the coursework. Maybe we are doing a slightly different qualification - one of might be doing iGCSE perhaps?

nope lit is 25% coursework 40% modern texts and 35% poetry

Languge is 40% coursework and 60% exam
Reply 4
Original post by joddcfc

I don't know what you're doing, but AQA GCSE English Literature is as I said:
http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/english/gcse/english-literature-9715/spec-at-a-glance

Quick Reply

Latest