The Student Room Group

AQA English Language Paper 2 Question 2 Exemplar Answer

Would anyone please mark my answer? It's from Paper 2 and is Question 2.
Question 2: You need to refer to Source A and Source B for this question. Use details from both sources to write a summary of the different ways people are affected by weather. [8 marks]

IMG_7018.jpg
Attachment not found
Attachment not found

Answer:
In sources A and B, the writer demonstrates the effects of weather in conversely different ways; in Source A, the writer evokes the harsh, life threatening effects of nature, whereas the writer of Source B simply exemplifies an admiring, awe-stricken attitude towards the "exquisite" snowfall. In Source A, Matt Dickinson, Audrey Sakels, and their team are shown to be tormented by the harsh weather conditions, which have been heightened by the recent "tempest" with "hurricane-force winds". This is sharply juxtaposed with the reverential state of admiration that Arthur Murphy is evoking through his admiration of the "new-fallen snow".

The writer of Source A manipulates the use of similies: "like living in a freezer" and "like a tyre dump fire", highlighting the calamitous effects of nature. The turbulent participles "ripping", "engulfing" and "demolishing" further reinforce the extremities of the "tempest", as if destructs it's surroundings "effortlessly", lacking sympathy for the destruction caused. Thus, to further inflict these extremities, the writer refers to the omniscient and omnipotent beings, "Shiva" - the god of "destruction" and "Nemesis" -the god of "retribution", which the storm has greatly surpasses. In the "Death Zone", the "tempest" had caused over thirty climbers to be "fighting for their lives", and "three Indian climbers" alongside five climbers on the "south" to have been snatched away their lives.

The harsh, destructive force of weather is evidently contrasted in Source B, as the first-person narrative exemplifies the "exquisite" snowfall.

I couldn't finish cause I had to move on to the rest of the questions - what mark would I approximately get and what can I do to
improve?
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Wow! This is amazing! I absolutely love your sophisticated vocabulary and use of subject terminology - i would say that this response should be either full marks or 7/8 (but i'm not an examiner so i don't know).
I think you should be the one helping others, not the other way round: this answer is just wonderful!
Original post by Studygirl2001
Question 2: You need to refer to Source A and Source B for this question. Use details from both sources to write a summary of the different ways people are affected by weather. [8 marks]

IMG_7018.jpg
Attachment not found
Attachment not found

Answer:
In sources A and B, the writer demonstrates the effects of weather in conversely different ways; in Source A, the writer evokes the harsh, life threatening effects of nature, whereas the writer of Source B simply exemplifies an admiring, awe-stricken attitude towards the "exquisite" snowfall. In Source A, Matt Dickinson, Audrey Sakels, and their team are shown to be tormented by the harsh weather conditions, which have been heightened by the recent "tempest" with "hurricane-force winds". This is sharply juxtaposed with the reverential state of admiration that Arthur Murphy is evoking through his admiration of the "new-fallen snow".

The writer of Source A manipulates the use of similies: "like living in a freezer" and "like a tyre dump fire", highlighting the calamitous effects of nature. The turbulent participles "ripping", "engulfing" and "demolishing" further reinforce the extremities of the "tempest", as if destructs it's surroundings "effortlessly", lacking sympathy for the destruction caused. Thus, to further inflict these extremities, the writer refers to the omniscient and omnipotent beings, "Shiva" - the god of "destruction" and "Nemesis" -the god of "retribution", which the storm has greatly surpasses. In the "Death Zone", the "tempest" had caused over thirty climbers to be "fighting for their lives", and "three Indian climbers" alongside five climbers on the "south" to have been snatched away their lives.

The harsh, destructive force of weather is evidently contrasted in Source B, as the first-person narrative exemplifies the "exquisite" snowfall.

I couldn't finish cause I had to move on to the rest of the questions - what mark would I approximately get and what can I do to
improve?

IMG_7018.jpg
Attachment not found
Attachment not found

Answer:

improve?

I made a similar mistake to you in my mock exam. I was criticized for analyzing language which apparently you should not in this question. There are no AO2 objectives it is purely information retrieval, comparison and synthesis. I'm not sure how AQA will look at it if you have talked about language devices but I was given half marks because I did :/
Use details from both sources to write a summary of the different ways people are affected by weather.

In both sources, the two writers convey the effects of weather very differently. In source A, the storm was described to have been "ripping into the tents" with "blinding fury". This illustrates the sheer violence displayed by the weather from the lexical field of "fury" and "ripping". Showing that it is very damaging towards people.
In Source B, the weather is presented as more peaceful towards the people experiencing it. The writer writes that it "had fallen silently" which adds a sense of calmness that the weather relays onto the people. It seems to transmit relaxation onto the people.

Whereas, in source A, the writer highlights the "bullying force" of the weather. It makes it seem as though the storm is inflicting pain onto the people. it portrays the effects on the people as life threatening. Whereas, in Source B, the weather is less life-threatening as in source A. The writer says that there was "loveliness" and "utter purity" about the "new-fallen snow" making it seem as though the weather is pleasing and makes the people around it happy and peaceful.
Reply 4
Can someone help me with English language.
People say read books but that doesn't help me what are advices on how to revise for language
Original post by Zuhras
People say read books but that doesn't help me what are advices on how to revise for language

Ask your teacher for a copy of the mark scheme. This will be the same each year. Make sure that you know exactly what is needed, and what is not needed. If you know what the question is looking for you can get a good mark without writing a huge amount.
Also, always keep an eye on the clock. Make sure that you don't spend a long time on the first questions that have few marks. Save enough time for question 4!
How did you find the similarities or differences between the two texts?
You do not get any marks for stating techniques. you have 8 minutes to answer the question so focus on 2-3 key similarities or differences and WHAT IS INFERRED. DO NOT analyse techniques and their effects. Waste of time.
Reply 8
How many marks would This get?
how much shoud i write for paper 2 question 2
8 marks
Reply 11
can anyone send me an exemplar of question 2 paper 2 about
Reply 12
I struggle on English language as I find it harder to explain my self whereas in English lit I'm a lot better at
does anyone have tips that can help me at least pass English language
thank you
Do past papers
Original post by Zuhras
I would say about 2 minimum, 3 maximum
Original post by username2998808
how much shoud i write for paper 2 question 2

IMG_7018.jpg
Attachment not found
Attachment not found

Answer:

The writer of Source A manipulates the use of similies: "like living in a freezer" and "like a tyre dump fire", highlighting the calamitous effects of nature. The turbulent participles "ripping", "engulfing" and "demolishing" further reinforce the extremities of the "tempest", as if destructs it's surroundings "effortlessly", lacking sympathy for the destruction caused. Thus, to further inflict these extremities, the writer refers to the omniscient and omnipotent beings, "Shiva" - the god of "destruction" and "Nemesis" -\

the god of "retribution", which the storm has greatly surpasses. In the "Death Zone", the "tempest" had caused over thirty climbers to be "fighting for their lives", and "three Indian climbers" alongside five climbers on the "south" to have been snatched away their lives.

improve?

OMG SAFE!! Is this for this years exams? Do you think I'll have it for my year 10 mocks?
Reply 16
your answers kinda bad mate. you shouldnt use terminology - this is a question about comparing the two sources. The excessive quoting doesn't help either. your answers far to vague and i struggle to follow any part of it. P E E make a clear point with a topic sentence, give evidence (which you're not short of) and explain. There is little explanation and the stuff that is there is too vague.
Maybe. They might give you a secure specimen paper for this years mocks....and for your year 11 mocks they will most probably give you this years paper. That's how my school did it! :smile:
Original post by jainasoni4
OMG SAFE!! Is this for this years exams? Do you think I'll have it for my year 10 mocks?
Reply 18
WowThat answer is grade 9 material
how do you answer question 3 to the exam paper (the death zone language paper 3)

Quick Reply

Latest