The Student Room Group

Remarks for two subjects

Hi all, yesterday I walked out of the results hall with A*AA in Physics, Maths and Politics (in that order), I was just 1 mark of an A* in Maths and 2 marks of an A* in Politics. My school obviously wants good student progress reports as I was initially predicted BBB at the start of year 12. So as I was so close to the grade boundaries they are reviewing my papers and potentially sending them off to see if I can get an A*A*A*. At the time I was thrilled because they would pay for it and so it was just like why not? However after sleeping on it I have realised two things I would like to ask you guys, 1. Do I need to declare to my firm choice uni (Loughborough) that I am remarking and 2. What if I drop a significant number of marks and get like A*BB? Will I lose my place?

Any help is greatly appreciated,
Regards.
Original post by Grizzly4
Hi all, yesterday I walked out of the results hall with A*AA in Physics, Maths and Politics (in that order), I was just 1 mark of an A* in Maths and 2 marks of an A* in Politics. My school obviously wants good student progress reports as I was initially predicted BBB at the start of year 12. So as I was so close to the grade boundaries they are reviewing my papers and potentially sending them off to see if I can get an A*A*A*. At the time I was thrilled because they would pay for it and so it was just like why not? However after sleeping on it I have realised two things I would like to ask you guys, 1. Do I need to declare to my firm choice uni (Loughborough) that I am remarking and 2. What if I drop a significant number of marks and get like A*BB? Will I lose my place?

Any help is greatly appreciated,
Regards.

The only time you would need to tell a uni about a "Review of Marking" is if you haven't met their offer conditions, and you are trying to persuade them to hold your place whilst the review takes place. If Loughborough have confirmed you place, there is no need to tell them that the review is happening.

As you rightly point out, the review could result in a drop in marks. However, if you're 1 mark and 2 marks off an A*, they'd have to drop quite a lot for it to be an issue. That's one of the reasons your school are reviewing your papers right now. The review is per paper (not per subject), so they can check to see what papers where you have the best chance of gaining a mark or two (and the least chance of losing a lot of marks).

If you reviewed grades fell below the offer conditions (which sounds very unlikely, but not impossible), then you would be at risk of losing the place, yes.

By the way, from predicted BBB to actual A*AA is amazing. Well done you! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
The only time you would need to tell a uni about a "Review of Marking" is if you haven't met their offer conditions, and you are trying to persuade them to hold your place whilst the review takes place. If Loughborough have confirmed you place, there is no need to tell them that the review is happening.

As you rightly point out, the review could result in a drop in marks. However, if you're 1 mark and 2 marks off an A*, they'd have to drop quite a lot for it to be an issue. That's one of the reasons your school are reviewing your papers right now. The review is per paper (not per subject), so they can check to see what papers where you have the best chance of gaining a mark or two (and the least chance of losing a lot of marks).

If you reviewed grades fell below the offer conditions (which sounds very unlikely, but not impossible), then you would be at risk of losing the place, yes.

By the way, from predicted BBB to actual A*AA is amazing. Well done you!

Thank you for the swift reply, I would need to drop a whopping 47 marks in Maths and 19 in Politics. I suppose I must trust in the school to send a paper they think I can gain and not lose in!
Original post by Grizzly4
Thank you for the swift reply, I would need to drop a whopping 47 marks in Maths and 19 in Politics. I suppose I must trust in the school to send a paper they think I can gain and not lose in!

Maths marks don't tend to move much anyway (up or down), simply due to the nature of the subject. Politics is more likely to move, I'd say, but a drop of 19 marks sounds very, very unlikely. The stats produced by Ofqual last year (see here) only measure up to 5 marks up/down, and then you're into "5 or more" territory. That should show you how unlikely a 19-mark drop is. :smile:

Good luck.:crossedf: Do let us know what happens.

Quick Reply

Latest