The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Gay people should stop referring to themselves as 'queer'

I don't find it cute nor clever. The term should have been relegated to the dustbin of history, like terms such as 'fag' and 'poof' have been. What about gay kids who have been slurred with that term having to see gay people and gay rights advocates re-using it? It just seems like an attempt to drag gay people out of the mainstream, so instead of the accepted term 'I'm gay', which raises no eyebrows and to a lot of people is as normal as saying 'I'm left-handed', 'I'm queer' almost seems to be used to provoke shock and to self-segregate.

It's like feminists referring to themselves as 'bitch'.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gracieb2218
Well, the thing is, unless you're gay yourself, I don't really think there's any point in telling gay people to do anything because it doesn't really involve you.

Sound logic there. So unless you're part of a minority group you can't comment upon issues relating to that minority group? Also, gay people aren't one homogeneous group with the same views, interests and identity.

Anyway, "Queer" has been reclaimed by many LGBT people, which is causing it to be a more positive word for many gay kids. It's turning a slur into something more powerful, which is gradually lessening the variety of slurs that can be used against LGBT people. In addition, "Queer" can be used as a blanket label by people who identify as something other than straight where their sexuality may be difficult to explain or describe.

Why haven't they done the same with the words fag, poof, etc? I don't think it's at all positive to keep alive a slur that for decades has been used in a vicious way against gay people. Also, an intention to turn something positive does not mean that happens in practice.
I identify as queer because I don't like fitting my sexuality and gender identity into a box defined by other people. I also think of it as a political identity.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
I identify as queer because I don't like fitting my sexuality and gender identity into a box defined by other people.

Surely "queer" is a term also defined by other people?

I also think of it as a political identity.

In what way?
Original post by SmallTownGirl
I identify as queer because I don't like fitting my sexuality and gender identity into a box defined by other people. I also think of it as a political identity.

So you don't like labels so instead you label yourself... Dat logic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Surely they can call themselves whatever they want. Something called the human right to freedom of speech.
It's reuse is mainly due to use in academic circles: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queer_theory
Reply 8
I generally don't use the word queer to refer to LGBT because to me queer means weird/suspicious/feeling sick etc. by definition so that's what I think of when I hear it and I tend not to feel like that about my gay friends. But at the same time whatever floats your boat, people can call themselves whatever they want.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Lady Comstock
Sound logic there. So unless you're part of a minority group you can't comment upon issues relating to that minority group? Also, gay people aren't one homogeneous group with the same views, interests and identity.

I agree. Just because somebody is heterosexual doesn't make their views on LGBT-related issues any less valid than my own. Sadly, too many people, often with the best of intentions, do try and look at it that way.

But doesn't that last sentence somewhat undermine your argument that they should all, as a seemingly homogenised response, stop using the word 'queer'? We can't really acknowledge the diversity of a group, whilst lambasting them all for not responding in the same manner on a particular use of language.

For what it's worth, I don't really see many people using the word 'queer' now as an effective slur. I don't see it being used outside of social scientific spheres within the framework of Queer Theory, and certain branches of feminist theory. Socially, it has been pretty much recaptured, and doesn't seem to have that 'emotional load' that it may once have had.

The biggest words that seem to be used in a derogatory sense these days are 'fag' and 'dyke', so I wouldn't necessarily say they've been put into the dustbin. Challenges to them are still very much ongoing, but they still haven't been 'recaptured' in the way that queer has. If anything, 'fag' and 'dyke' are at that same awkward stage in which you see the N word being used by certain African American communities. In other words, you get people self-identifying as it, and accepting it being a mutual social identity amongst peers, whether they be African Americans or non-heterosexual. However, to be called it by somebody who you don't associate as a fellow peer just comes across as derogative, and usually invokes a response.

It's all an unusual state of affairs!
(edited 8 years ago)
I would never call myself 'queer', nor have I heard anyone else I know refer to themselves as 'queer'. I don't think it's on the same level as terms like 'fag', but there's certainly a negative connotation to the word that seems quite derogatory from what I can tell. Never been too sure why the 'Q' was added onto 'LGBT'.

People can call themselves what they like though, as far as I'm concerned. As long as they don't start calling me a fag or queer, I don't mind. Although having said that, it worries me that continued use of such terms could lead to mainstream acceptance which I'm skeptical about.
Reply 11

Why haven't they done the same with the words fag, poof, etc? I don't think it's at all positive to keep alive a slur that for decades has been used in a vicious way against gay people. Also, an intention to turn something positive does not mean that happens in practice.

I'm gay and althogh i don't call myself a fag often if someone was like "you're a fag" i'd be like "yea. So?" I think it's about taking the power away from the word and not necessarily making it positive but stopping it from being negative

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't know why this is being brought up now, people have been reclaiming the word since the 90s…?
I don't find it cute nor clever. The term should have been relegated to the dustbin of history, like terms such as 'fag' and 'poof' have been. What about gay kids who have been slurred with that term having to see gay people and gay rights advocates re-using it? It just seems like an attempt to drag gay people out of the mainstream, so instead of the accepted term 'I'm gay', which raises no eyebrows and to a lot of people is as normal as saying 'I'm left-handed', 'I'm queer' almost seems to be used to provoke shock and to self-segregate.

It's like feminists referring to themselves as 'bitch'.

It's just reclaiming a term. Queer isn't inherently insulting, it simply stating not the norm (I.e heterosexual, cisgender). It's bascially taking pride in being different. I'm not against the reclaiming as long as they don't start labelling other people that way.
Why does it matter what people refer themselvs as

Posted from TSR Mobile
Only in the film Flash Gordon
But it's okay for black people to call themselves ... and idc if this causes all types of comments it's purely for an example purpose... "*****"

It's like feminists referring to themselves as '*****'.
Obvsiously that's been starred but... you know what I mean..
'N i g g a'
Original post by Camryn0903
But it's okay for black people to call themselves ... and idc if this causes all types of comments it's purely for an example purpose... "*****"
It's for people who dont want to label their sexuality .. like they dont know if they are gay or bi or whatever... they just know they are not heterosexual
Original post by Everglow
I would never call myself 'queer', nor have I heard anyone else I know refer to themselves as 'queer'. I don't think it's on the same level as terms like 'fag', but there's certainly a negative connotation to the word that seems quite derogatory from what I can tell. Never been too sure why the 'Q' was added onto 'LGBT'.

People can call themselves what they like though, as far as I'm concerned. As long as they don't start calling me a fag or queer, I don't mind. Although having said that, it worries me that continued use of such terms could lead to mainstream acceptance which I'm skeptical about.
Original post by Camryn0903

You realize you've just bumped a three-year-old thread, right?

Latest

Trending

Trending