The Student Room Group

Arrested for cheering your classmates, a bit extreme?

So I was sent over this article today:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/04/us/authorities-file-charges-over-loud-cheering-at-mississippi-high-school-graduation.html?smid=tw-nytimes&_r=1

Where to summarise, some students were fined and even arrested for cheering their students during graduation. Now I understand that it may have been seen as "destroying the peace" but it's a bit extreme in my opinion for this to happen don't you think?

What are your thoughts on it? :holmes:

Scroll to see replies

PC gone mad lol :tongue:
If it were black students they would have been shot!
Original post by BioAgent
If it were black students they would have been shot!

Or used to train police dogs how to kill like in Israel
Absolutely insane/ridiculous. That's absolutely mental! Thank goodness I don't live in the USA!

Far too extreme and if you tried giving me a $500 fine for that I'd appeal and not pay.
Original post by Slowbro93
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/04/us/authorities-file-charges-over-loud-cheering-at-mississippi-high-school-graduation.html?smid=tw-nytimes&_r=1

Where to summarise, some students were fined and even arrested for cheering their students during graduation. Now I understand that it may have been seen as "destroying the peace" but it's a bit extreme in my opinion for this to happen don't you think?

Aaaahhhhh America :colondollar:
Original post by Slowbro93

America is a country where you can be potentially jailed in some areas for growing vegetables in your own front garden (http://abcnews.go.com/US/vegetable-garden-brings-criminal-charges-oak-park-michigan/story?id=14047214), so this isn't that suprising. And they still think their's is the freest country in the world, bless em'.
They should have used the NUS branded Jazz Hands.

Posted from TSR Mobile
While there are bigger crimes going on out there, they'd rather take on something a little easier to deal with
Original post by ImNotReallyMe
While there are bigger crimes going on out there, they'd rather take on something a little easier to deal with

This. Major drug dealers and terrorists carry weapons such as knives and guns. People who drive 75mph tend not to carry such equipment. This is why you often see speed cameras but not terrorist or drug dealer cameras.
Original post by DiddyDec
They should have used the NUS branded Jazz Hands.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:congrats:
Original post by Greenlaner
America is a country where you can be potentially jailed in some areas for growing vegetables in your own front garden (http://abcnews.go.com/US/vegetable-garden-brings-criminal-charges-oak-park-michigan/story?id=14047214), so this isn't that suprising. And they still think their's is the freest country in the world, bless em'.

It was...
The Canadian tourist board now advises visitors to America to not carry money as this could become stolen by the police. There are currently several stories trending about citizens in the US who have had their possessions stolen by police without a warrant or crime being investigated. This includes one teacher who had her apartment trashed and pissed on by police without any investigation.

I wonder if feral dog catchers should now target police to protect the public.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by spotify95
Absolutely insane/ridiculous. That's absolutely mental! Thank goodness I don't live in the USA!

Far too extreme and if you tried giving me a $500 fine for that I'd appeal and not pay.

You'd end up in Guantanamo Bay lol
America.. the land of the police state....
Original post by aaronlowe
The Canadian tourist board now advises visitors to America to not carry money as this could become stolen by the police. There are currently several stories trending about citizens in the US who have had their possessions stolen by police without a warrant or crime being investigated. This includes one teacher who had her apartment trashed and pissed on by police without any investigation.

I wonder if feral dog catchers should now target police to protect the public.

Do you have a link for that?
Reply 16
Original post by Laomedeia
This. Major drug dealers and terrorists carry weapons such as knives and guns. People who drive 75mph tend not to carry such equipment. This is why you often see speed cameras but not terrorist or drug dealer cameras.

Drug dealers are major criminals?

Can you explain how selling a substance that, in many cases, causes no proven harm to a human body can be a major crime? Just because a government doesn't want you to put a substance inside of your body doesn't make doing it a hideous and immoral action.

I deplore you comparing terrorists to drug dealers.
Reply 17
Original post by cacra

Can you explain how selling a substance that, in many cases, causes no proven harm to a human body can be a major crime? Just because a government doesn't want you to put a substance inside of your body doesn't make doing it a hideous and immoral action.

... how do you think people get those substances? It takes a lot of organisation to
traffick huge quantities of them accross the continent, thousands if not millions die due to drug related crime in countries like Mexico.
Original post by cacra

Oh for fruck sake! Go watch Bad Boys 1 & 2 before making more dullard comments.
Original post by aaronlowe
You'd end up in Guantanamo Bay lol

Which is a place that I have never heard of before in my entire life!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending