The Student Room Group

Over population and your personal responsibility.

Considering it's a little crowded in here (Earth) why does no one seem to take personal accountability for this? How else do you think is responsible??

When it comes to your decision to have children or not, what is your reasoning? and is there an element of fear?

Scroll to see replies

Limit to two children per family.
Reply 2
Original post by hihihihihi
Limit to two children per family.

1 or 2 children, when there is already 7 billion people and counting, does seem like a well thought out answer. Anyway, I heard it million times.
Reply 3
Copulations outside of marriage should be banned. To get married the father should have salary about 30K or a good degree. Fidelity, marital conduct should be enforced by the police, if need be the physical punishments for infractions thereof. The only family structure that works is the conventional model, 2 parents in the home with a professional father and a stay at home mum. Anything that undermines the sanctiyt of this institution should be stamped out vehemently.
The Earth is not over populated, we are just using space inefficiently.
Well I am so ugly I can't have children.
There is more than enough food for everyone in the world to eat 2,500 calories a day.

As long as you don't eat (or waste) more than that, you have no reason to feel morally responsible.
Reply 7
Original post by NHM713
Considering it's a little crowded in here (Earth) why does no one seem to take personal accountability for this? How else do you think is responsible??

When it comes to your decision to have children or not, what is your reasoning? and is there an element of fear?

The Earth itself is not overpopulated and indeed with a global birth rate of 2.6 (i think), output of key resources like food actually increases faster than the population globally. If you look at fertility rates by region then actually only Africa has a fertility rate above 3.

The problem in todays world is not production but rather the distribution of land and capital.

So in answer to your question, i'll be having 3 children.
Reply 8
Original post by Nu Sharia
Copulations outside of marriage should be banned. To get married the father should have salary about 30K or a good degree. Fidelity, marital conduct should be enforced by the police, if need be the physical punishments for infractions thereof. The only family structure that works is the conventional model, 2 parents in the home with a professional father and a stay at home mum. Anything that undermines the sanctiyt of this institution should be stamped out vehemently.

You can't control like that, we're not machines.
Reply 9
Original post by DiddyDec
The Earth is not over populated, we are just using space inefficiently.

Then why don't we use space efficiently?
Reply 10
Original post by cole-slaw
There is more than enough food for everyone in the world to eat 2,500 calories a day.

As long as you don't eat (or waste) more than that, you have no reason to feel morally responsible.

What about the ones dying of starvation?
Original post by NHM713
What about the ones dying of starvation?

We need to give them food obviously.

It is somewhat ridiculous that a massive fertile continent like Africa has such pitiful infrastructure that it is is unable to sustain its own population and has to buy food in from Europe and the Americas.
Reply 12
Original post by Rakas21
The Earth itself is not overpopulated and indeed with a global birth rate of 2.6 (i think), output of key resources like food actually increases faster than the population globally. If you look at fertility rates by region then actually only Africa has a fertility rate above 3.

The problem in todays world is not production but rather the distribution of land and capital.

So in answer to your question, i'll be having 3 children.

Ok, well I'm aware there is a correlation between birth rates and poverty. So there's a problem with the value of money and space?
Reply 13
We need to give them food obviously.

It is somewhat ridiculous that a massive fertile continent like Africa has such pitiful infrastructure that it is is unable to sustain its own population and has to buy food in from Europe and the Americas.

Didn't really know that, because the average calories intake, which only really applies to people living in the UK.

Oh, is that because of the poverty? or maybe something the continent is not consciously doing?
Original post by NHM713
Didn't really know that, because the average calories intake, which only really applies to people living in the UK.

Oh, is that because of the poverty? or maybe something the continent is not consciously doing?

Multiple factors. Whereas the rest of the world has developed over the past 40 years, Africa has gone backwards with the help of the IMF.
i hate babies and am not maternal so have no desire to have children. I don't find them cute or feel any attachment to them and far prefer animals. Therefore it is a preexisting conclusion that i won't have any.

I don't think i would anyway due to population pressure on the planet or limit myself to one or two childen.

anyways Guinea Pigs FTW not babies :h:
Original post by NHM713
Ok, well I'm aware there is a correlation between birth rates and poverty. So there's a problem with the value of money and space?

Yeah.

The unequal distribution of resources means that some countries sit on mineral wealth or fertile land and others don't.

The unequal distribution of capital means that some countries can afford to import such resources while others can't.

This creates a highly uneven distribution despite adequate production. The US will soon be exporting energy and already exports food. A Saharan country may struggle to cool or feed its people.
Reply 17
Original post by CoolCavy
i hate babies and am not maternal so have no desire to have children. I don't find them cute or feel any attachment to them and far prefer animals. Therefore it is a preexisting conclusion that i won't have any.

I don't think i would anyway due to population pressure on the planet or limit myself to one or two childen.

anyways Guinea Pigs FTW not babies :h:

Ah no! babies are cool people, they're really fun :smile:, but, fair enough, I don't like how it's pushed on you.

So, you might have them, then?

Guinea Pigs are cute :h:, your avatar makes me go 'AWWW!'
Reply 18
Multiple factors. Whereas the rest of the world has developed over the past 40 years, Africa has gone backwards with the help of the IMF.

Probably all this corruption.
Original post by NHM713
Ah no! babies are cool people, they're really fun :smile:, but, fair enough, I don't like how it's pushed on you.

So, you might have them, then?

Guinea Pigs are cute :h:, your avatar makes me go 'AWWW!'

well whatever floats ur boat but personally i don't like them :biggrin: yeah ikr, people are like 'u will change ur mind' well if i do i do but how could they possibly know without being me and experiencing my thoughts and feelings towards children (i wouldnt hurt them or anything i just don't like them so don't want to b around them) :s-smilie:

no i don't think so, i meant if i did like children i might not have them due to population pressure or hypothetically if i did like children i wud limit myself to 1 or 2.

yes i love them so much :h: i'm gonna spend the money i would have spent on children on running a guinea pig sanctuary :biggrin: awww ty :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending