The Student Room Group

Why do feminists say 'teach men not to rape'?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by elizah
You did by saying that rapists were simply normal people who committed mistakes. When you do that, you're playing the "not as bad as they're made out to be" card, which trivializes rapists.
Not to mention, it is completely irrelevant in regards to OP's question, as he asked why we should teach men not to rape instead of teaching women to take precautions, not your opinion on why men rape, and trivalizing rapists by saying that they're normal people who made a few bad mistakes does not help the cause either, thank you though.

Mincing my words again. I did not say the word mistake. I did not say any of the things you are claiming. So once again, reading into something that isn't there.

I don't think it is remotely irrelevant to OPs question . Considering teaching men not to rape does not necessarily mean sitting them down and saying "don't rape".
It can be something that is instilled with them through their lives, and could perhaps be something these rapists never got or possibly comprehended. It's about a lot more than just saying "don't rape". And a large part of understanding how to teach these individuals not rape, and instilling in them an understanding of their actions and future actions is to understand where their mindset is now.

Oh and yet again ignored the phrase. "you cannot prevent what you don't understand"...funny I wonder why you keep ignoring that,
Original post by elizah
True. Rapists aren't bad, they just made a mistake, and shaming them like that is wrong! Instead, teach women to not walk alone at night, to not wear too revealing clothes, cause it may make those poor men make mistakes and rape them, and if they do, it's on them!

If you can teach a child to not go to the park late at night and look both ways before crossing the road

why not apply similar logic to women ?
Original post by cacra
No they don't actually.

Rape is defined as penetration with a penis.

Erm nope. I think you will find it's "Forcing another person to have sexual intercourse against their will"

Women can do that aswell.
Original post by Major Zero
20%? Well that's clearly a lie.

"The recent CDC report, based on surveys conducted in 2011, found that almost one in five women (and 1.7 percent of men) have been raped in their lifetimes. In a single year, 1.6 percent of women reported experiences that are considered rape—almost two million cases."

That's rape alone, and does not involve all of the cases regarding sexual assault.
Original post by elizah
"The recent CDC report, based on surveys conducted in 2011, found that almost one in five women (and 1.7 percent of men) have been raped in their lifetimes. In a single year, 1.6 percent of women reported experiences that are considered rape—almost two million cases."

That's rape alone, and does not involve all of the cases regarding sexual assault.

So you think out of roughly 3.5 Billion women on Earth, 700 Million of them have been raped? :lolwut:
Original post by SophieSmall
Mincing my words again. I did not say the word mistake. I did not say any of the things you are claiming. So once again, reading into something that isn't there.

I don't think it is remotely irrelevant to OPs question . Considering teaching men not to rape does not necessarily mean sitting them down and saying "don't rape".
It can be something that is instilled with them through their lives, and could perhaps be something these rapists never got or possibly comprehended. It's about a lot more than just saying "don't rape". And a large part of understanding how to teach these individuals not rape, and instilling in them an understanding of their actions and future actions is to understand where their mindset is now.

Oh and yet again ignored the phrase. "you cannot prevent what you don't understand"...funny I wonder why you keep ignoring that,

"Most of them are just normal people who did a horrible thing, many feel remorse and guilt."
You are portraying them as normal people who made mistakes, but now are capable of feeling remorse and guilt. That trivializes the issue.
Without your elaboration, yes, your answer becomes quite irrelevant in regard's to OP's question, and even then, it still is, considering he asked why feminists want men to stop raping instead of women taking precautions, not your solutions as to how to do so, because according to him, teaching men to stop raping is delusional (which you just did).
I ignored the phrase you cannot prevent something you don't understand because it's irrelevant to my point. You obviously cannot prevent something you don't understand, but doing so by portraying rapists as "normal people who do bad things aka make mistakes" is not the solution to understanding the issue and hence not the way of solving it.
Stop believing that your opinion is the only valid one.
So you think out of roughly 3.5 Billion women on Earth, 700 Million of them have been raped? :lolwut:

No, it's probably higher than that considering it changes from country to country, and the CDC is an American institute, hence a western one. The amount of women having been raped is much higher in Afghanistan, Somali, or the south/east of Africa than in the US/Europe/Australia etc.
Original post by elizah

Googled it and found that the 'research' was exclusively done in the US and the 'researchers' concede that the sample size limited the study.
Original post by elizah
"Most of them are just normal people who did a horrible thing, many feel remorse and guilt."
You are portraying them as normal people who made mistakes, but now are capable of feeling remorse and guilt. 1) That trivializes the issue.
Without your elaboration, yes, your answer becomes quite 2) irrelevant in regard's to OP's question, and even then, it still is, considering he asked why feminists want men to stop raping instead of women taking precautions, not your solutions as to how to do so, because according to him, teaching men to stop raping is delusional (which you just did).
I ignored the phrase you cannot prevent something you don't understand because it's irrelevant to my point. You obviously cannot prevent something you don't understand, 3) but doing so by portraying rapists as "normal people who do bad things aka make mistakes" is not the solution to understanding the issue and hence not the way of solving it.
4) Stop believing that your opinion is the only valid one.

1) Firstly, no it does not. That is an emotional stance you have taken. Not a logical one, therefore I'll be ignoring any more mention of it.

2) It's not irrelevant, you just don't seem to have understood.

3) And there in lies my reasoning on my first post, to help people understand that most rapists aren't evil psychopaths hiding in the bush, and to prevent rape we must first understand the rapist. In order to in the future teach men why this is wrong, for those who don't seem to understand. As for "but doing so by portraying rapists as "normal people who do bad things aka make mistakes" is not the solution to understanding the issue and hence not the way of solving it." I disagree.

4) Also I'm not interested in opinions. Only facts. And the FACT is, the majority of rapists are indeed "normal" people who have done a horrible thing. And the FACT is, we cannot prevent further offences without understanding why they raped in the first place. And we cannot instil morals into these men and teach them not to rape without understanding any of these factors.

Now you can get upset about that all you like, but honestly I don't care and it's nearing 3am so I'm going to sleep now anyway.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by TwinnyP
Erm nope. I think you will find it's "Forcing another person to have sexual intercourse against their will"

Women can do that aswell.

That is not true. Read through this if you care enough.
http://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/Final_Sexual_Offences_Definitive_Guideline_content_web1.pdf

But basically, although rape and sexual assault carry the same sentencing guidelines, a female who forces a male to have sex with her will be committing sexual assault. A male who forces a female to have sex with him will be committing rape.
Googled it and found that the 'research' was exclusively done in the US and the 'researchers' concede that the sample size limited the study.

Fair enough, I must have missed that part, however, I do find it amusing that this source shares the similar numbers, i.e 1/5 women http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2013/jan/11/male-female-rape-statistics-graphic
Original post by thecatwithnohat
No they can't lol. No matter what happens, the man will always experience pleasure.

What a ridiculous thing to say.
Original post by SophieSmall
1) Firstly, no it does not. That is an emotional stance you have taken. Not a logical one, therefore I'll be ignoring any more mention of it.

2) It's not irrelevant, you just don't seem to have understood.

3) And there in lies my reasoning on my first post, to help people understand that most rapists aren't evil psychopaths hiding in the bush, and to prevent rape we must first understand the rapist. In order to in the future teach men why this is wrong, for those who don't seem to understand. As for "but doing so by portraying rapists as "normal people who do bad things aka make mistakes" is not the solution to understanding the issue and hence not the way of solving it." I disagree.

4) Also I'm not interested in opinions. Only facts. And the FACT is, the majority of rapists are indeed "normal" people who have done a horrible thing. And the FACT is, we cannot prevent further offences without understanding why they raped in the first place. And we cannot instil morals into these men and teach them not to rape without understanding any of these factors.

Now you can get upset about that all you like, but honestly I don't care and it's nearing 3am so I'm going to sleep now anyway.

I don't think you understood what I wrote.
The majority of rapists do not have mental illnesses, but that does not make them normal people. People do not wake up one day and commit sexual assault. In most cases, rape is the result of early childhood environment (such as being raped or assaulted themselves). Research indicates that a lot of rapists are angry at women and feel the need to dominate and control them. None of this, and I repeat none of this makes them normal people who simply make a few mistakes. When you say that, you are at the very least trivializing rapists which does not solve or help the issue, because they're not "normal people". They are people with mental health issues.
Original post by cacra
No they don't actually.

Rape is defined as penetration with a penis.

pretty sexist to me

so if I jam my fist in there instead it isn't rape?
Feminists have a victim complex to infinity and beyond.
Original post by elizah
They are people with mental health issues.

Plenty of people without mental health issues commit violent crime, and plenty of people with them (e.g. me) wouldn't hurt a fly. :smile:
Reply 36
What a bold statement you have just made.

Every individual who identifies as a feminist has said "teach men not to rape".

Really? Or are we using massive a generalisation to push a point?
Reply 37
Original post by The Socktor
Plenty of people without mental health issues commit violent crime, and plenty of people with them (e.g. me) wouldn't hurt a fly. :smile:

I'd say that all or definitely most people who commit violent crimes have some form of mental issue. It may not be a mental illness, or disorder, but it can be some sort of unresolved mental issue, be it long term or temporary.

A lot of these people have had difficult upbringings for example, this can naturally lead to mental issues when older.
Reply 38
Original post by TwinnyP
Women rape men aswell like.

From a legal standpoint they are not physically able to rape someone. Legally speaking to rape someone you have to penetrate them with your penis. Obviously women are lacking in that department.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by elizah
You did by saying that rapists were simply normal people who committed mistakes. When you do that, you're playing the "not as bad as they're made out to be" card, which trivializes rapists.
Not to mention, it is completely irrelevant in regards to OP's question, as he asked why we should teach men not to rape instead of teaching women to take precautions, not your opinion on why men rape, and trivalizing rapists by saying that they're normal people who made a few bad mistakes does not help the cause either, thank you though.

'Trivializes.' Always the sort of word one expects from an emotional fool since it carries so little meaning and yet provides the perfect excuse to be offended. Don't have a go at SophieSmall for making a valid point (which, after you've failed to prove it incorrect, is now 'irrelevant') just because you're determined to take offence.

Also, let's not make stupid predictions of the sort you've made with '20 percent of all women will be raped.'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending