The Student Room Group

"Sexy Plus Size Model Stuns on Catwalk" How is this acceptable?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by hothedgehog
Clothing size does not necessarily account for being overweight for two major reasons: clothing cut does not suit everyone's body proportions, and clothing sizes are not consistent.

Case in point: the girl who has really big boobs and is forced to wear size 16 tops to accommodate them compared to her size 12 bottoms... or go into topshop and buy a pair of trousers which are 2 sizes bigger than the normal sizing because topshop's sizing is out of whack. There you are banning two completely different people because of their clothing size not because of how overweight they are.

BMI is a poor indicator of obesity too. Ideally it would be based on body fat percentage, but that's impractical.
Original post by FireGarden
Well of course, because their bodies simply aren't beautiful. I would imagine fashion being what it is, it's all about image, and generally people aim for beauty over other things. Also..

Indeed. On the other hand, the fix is for these people to grow up rather than cause all this fuss. If you determine your feelings of self-worth, esteem, confidence, self-respect etc. from how beautiful other people perceive you, then you're just as shallow as the people who judge based on appearance - after all, the problem would be that you don't judge well to your own eyes. Body acceptance comes from yourself and yourself only; only the weak-minded need media to provide validation. Even then, it's not true acceptance - it's just "I'm ok with it because at least it's what people like", regardless of whether the person likes it themselves.

Well yeah, but the issue is in standards of beauty. You get people who have disfiguring conditions, and nobody is going to be calling them aesthetically beautiful. It's not fair, but it's also silly to pretend it's otherwise. Nobody wants to be an ugly person, but the sad fact is everyone carries around their life experience of who they've seen, and we all get measured against it, and treated accordingly. It's subconscious, irrational, evolutionarily derived thinking, and it won't go away.

On the other hand, people don't just have the right to be considered beautiful, or attractive. If you're fat and feel ugly, well so what? Either do something about it, or come to terms with it. You're not going to change a hard-wired preferred aesthetic. Supposing larger models were all there were on the catwalks, I guarantee, it would be the slender people that are still sought after most in society.

That's a horrid generalisation to make. So a person with an eating disorder, the cause of their extremely skinny or heavy weight, should just grow up? Surely you can see from that alone, being concerned with how others perceive you does not make you shallow. It's a basic feature of social relationships, in every culture, but it can snowball into a dangerous, life-altering psychological issue that is not solved by telling someone they're shallow and need to grow up.
Reply 42
Original post by jessicasydes1
I find this comment both uneducated and frankly quite laughable. You're assuming that all over weight women are the weight they are due to lifestyle choices such as, I quote, eating tubs of 'Ben and Jerry's'. Have you never heard of the dozens of medical disorders that actually cause people to gain weight, hypothyroidism and PCOS to name a few. Before you decide to start 'fat shaming' id suggest
you research some facts so to not make yourself look like an illiterate ****.

The vast majority of overweight because of their lifestyle...
What are you talking about?. She looks of a healthy body weight. I was expecting to see an obese woman. She looks toned and curvaceous. Stunning.
Yeah, I'm not getting involved in this. This thread is about to explode
Original post by TheStudent21
1 and 2 are contradictory. How does making obese people ashamed help anyone, huh? What, so you want them to stay indoors for the rest of their life? Not have the courage to go to the gym or park to lose weight? Feel like people are judging them if they ask for help? And just marginalise them? Wouldn't that make the problem worse? Interested to hear your thoughts on this.

Much in the same way shaming people about mass immigration works. The vast majority of the population is opposed to it, the BBC exploits the death of a 3 year old child to amass political capital and we all have to accept it otherwise we're compelled to listen to the shame and guilt narratives.

Shaming is the most potent political weapon of our generation; progressives love it when it works in their favour.

I don't give a crap about people's feelings, I give a crap about 1. having to pay for their desire to live an unhealthy lifestyle 2. them making obesity out to look like an acceptable life choice.
Original post by cristinaprados
Ok i joined like 5 minutes ago so I don't really know what I'm doing but anyway:

saying that people of a bigger size should be banned from the fashion industry is absolutely disgusting and so disrespectful and rude.

saying that it is wrong of the media to promote such an 'un-healthy size' is really stupid?? women and girls that are bigger or do not meet society's expectations of perfect or whatever are never praised or told their bodies are beautiful so having 'plus-size' models on catwalks and in the media and fashion industry is probably a real confidence booster for some people. And did you know that thin people / people that look like healthy can actually be rotting from the inside, for example a slim person could eat loads of junk food everyday but have a fast metabolism. meanwhile their teeth are decaying and their arteries becoming clogged (I'm not good at science so I don't know if it's the arteries that get clogged with fat or something but whatever).

saying that girls aspire to be 'normal' is really hurtful and your post is making me really angry. girls aspire to be whatever they want??? yes, girls probably don't force themselves to put on weight to look like a 'plus size model' but saying that any other body type apart from slim or whatever society deems as 'normal' is just???? its just stupid and rude and it was really ignorant of you to post this. girls can aspire to be whatever they want so do NOT tell us what we do and don't aspire to be. is it okay then for the girls who throw up their dinner and starve themselves to aspire to be the stick thin models the media is constantly shoving down our throats?

Being fat is bad. Being skinny is bad. Being normal is good. There's a reason normal is normal. Many many years of evolution has brought us to this point. Normal is the best weight, average is the safest and healthiest.
Original post by EllainKahlo
That's a horrid generalisation to make. So a person with an eating disorder, the cause of their extremely skinny or heavy weight, should just grow up? Surely you can see from that alone, being concerned with how others perceive you does not make you shallow. It's a basic feature of social relationships, in every culture, but it can snowball into a dangerous, life-altering psychological issue that is not solved by telling someone they're shallow and need to grow up.

Why is everything a 'disorder' these days? It's funny how few people suffered from this 'disorder' all throughout history (you know, when obesity wasn't at epidemic levels). Your feelings determine that we should be accepting of your desire to be fat and unhealthy, as well as tell other girls it's acceptable to be fat and unhealthy.

Your feelings aren't logic. Obesity is not an acceptable lifestyle choice.
Reply 48

What eating disorder would lead to obesity?
That's a horrid generalisation to make.

Yeah, the world/life is pretty horrid in many ways, really.

So a person with an eating disorder, the cause of their extremely skinny or heavy weight, should just grow up? Surely you can see from that alone, being concerned with how others perceive you does not make you shallow.

Anybody, who feels unattractive for any reason (be it weight, or whatever), and lets it damage their feeling of self-worth, then yes indeed they should just grow up. Would that really be all there is to be proud of? That's all that's needed to feel confident in yourself? People's perceptions of you based on your appearance is the definition of being shallow - should we care about 'shallow perceptions'? I'd say not at all. In which case, how we look shouldn't impact how we feel about ourselves. If it does, that's that person's problem.

it can snowball into a dangerous, life-altering psychological issue that is not solved by telling someone they're shallow and need to grow up.

Well at the least it worked for me. I'm a bit overweight (about 2 stone heavier than I should be) and not even exercise could fix my face, but I'd feel nothing short of pathetic if I let that ruin my life by making me feel 'not good enough' for other's expectations.
It's not a black and white issue where there's an easy solution that everyone can agree upon. Banning people you deem unhealthy, just by looking at them, does not promote body confidence.

It promotes them being healthy though physically does it not? They lose weight because of peer pressure and enjoy reduced risk of death.
Original post by theperformer
The first one has great facial features. I'm not sure how she got those features yet has an obese body; how does that work?

Not to mention she has the most beautiful knees. What the hell? That's some damn lucky genetics or something lol. Jeez...
Reply 52
Original post by Ladymusiclover
What are you talking about?. She looks of a healthy body weight. I was expecting to see an obese woman. She looks toned and curvaceous. Stunning.

Oh god. This perception is worrying.
Original post by Twinpeaks

Binge eating disorder, bulimia, ednos, the list goes on.
Original post by jessicasydes1
I find this comment both uneducated and frankly quite laughable. You're assuming that all over weight women are the weight they are due to lifestyle choices such as, I quote, eating tubs of 'Ben and Jerry's'. Have you never heard of the dozens of medical disorders that actually cause people to gain weight, hypothyroidism and PCOS to name a few. Before you decide to start 'fat shaming' id suggest
you research some facts so to not make yourself look like an illiterate ****.

Hmmm, where were these 'disorders' all throughout history? Why is the rate of this 'disorder' increasing YoY?

I'm not assuming that, I know it. Are you suggesting that anything more than a tiny minority of obese people have an underlying medical condition serving as the catalyst for the obesity?

It's not a medical condition. It's a lack of self-control, it's weakness and it's pathetic. What's worse, they want to define it as the 'new normal' and plague future generations with heart disease and diabetes.
Original post by Twinpeaks

Obsessive eating? I don't know, but there's bound to be some weird stress-makes-me-eat thing, and that'll obviously do it.
Yeah, the world/life is pretty horrid in many ways, really.

Anybody, who feels unattractive for any reason (be it weight, or whatever), and lets it damage their feeling of self-worth, then yes indeed they should just grow up. Would that really be all there is to be proud of? That's all that's needed to feel confident in yourself? People's perceptions of you based on your appearance is the definition of being shallow - should we care about 'shallow perceptions'? I'd say not at all. In which case, how we look shouldn't impact how we feel about ourselves. If it does, that's that person's problem.

Well at the least it worked for me. I'm a bit overweight (about 2 stone heavier than I should be) and not even exercise could fix my face, but I'd feel nothing short of pathetic if I let that ruin my life by making me feel 'not good enough' for other's expectations.

It is alarming that you think an eating disorder is something someone gets rid of by just growing up.
Original post by LegatusShadow
It promotes them being healthy though physically does it not? They lose weight because of peer pressure and enjoy reduced risk of death.

And live with the psychological consequences caused by the shame in return? Yeah, that's a good trade.
It is alarming that you think an eating disorder is something someone gets rid of by just growing up.

People often go through CBT for eating disorders. The goal being to correct faulty thinking. Perhaps "grow up" is a bit crude for these cases (unlike lazy fat people), but it's not massively different - both are about thinking better.
People often go through CBT for eating disorders. The goal being to correct faulty thinking. Perhaps "grow up" is a bit crude for these cases (unlike lazy fat people), but it's not massively different - both are about thinking better.

Have you ever been through CBT? I have, and it doesn't change your life overnight. It takes tears, wanting to quit and re-evaluating your life to even make a slight difference to the way you think when you have someone basically drilling into you 'everything you think is wrong, conform to my beliefs and you can go'. And while you're at it, going through the mental healthcare system makes a considerable number of people regret ever asking for help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending