The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Should a woman go to jail for falsely accusing a man of rape?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by limetang
I mean. They're clearly one of two things: a troll, or a misandrist. Either way we it doesn't really seem worth engaging with them for a reasonable response to this issue.

Probably some butch in a boiler suit.
Original post by limetang
I mean. They're clearly one of two things: a troll, or a misandrist. Either way we it doesn't really seem worth engaging with them for a reasonable response to this issue.

Troll. You can spot a troll from a mile off, the tone of their posts gives away whether they are being serious or not. In this case the flippancy of their posts is the giveaway.
Original post by Howard
Perhaps we could also identify those women who are more at risk of lying about being raped and lock them up so we could drastically cut the number of men whose reputations are tarnished, jobs are lost, and falsely imprisoned.

Are you seriously comparing going to prison with being raped? Grow up!
Original post by celloel
In principle, yes. But you cannot really prove somebody is lying. Just because the man was found not guilty does not necessarily mean she was lying.

If the man was proven to not have raped her, and she said that he did, then she has been proved to be lying therefore perverting the court
Reply 164
Original post by elliemayxo
Just seen it on facebook and thought it would be a good idea to ask on here.

Yes - it happened to my [former] friend who fabricated a story that didn't even involve any particular guy - it was literally from her own imagination. A guy did get arrested and questioned though. Obviously he was let go, but he wrote a letter which was read out at her sentencing, saying how much it had ruined his life. In the end she was only in prison for about 6 months.

Aside from the lives it can affect in the short run (people who are falsely accused, family and friends who feel betrayed, wasted police and courts time) it has a negative impact on all of those girls who genuinely have been raped and are already struggling to get a conviction for a crime that is difficult to prove, and on top of this are doubted because 'some girls lie about it you know'.
Reply 165
Original post by BerniHurton
Definitely!!! Why should the laws be bent for us? We should be punished the same way a man would for the same crime. Come on, feminists, never hear you talk about equal punishment

I am a feminist, please see my above post
Original post by Doctor_Einstein
But then didn't you just show that wasn't true, highlighting the need to reduce the requirements for conviction???

No?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you are struggling with the logic so let me break it down.

Either you accept that,

1. All rapists will be caught

or you accept that

2. We should make it easier to imprison rapists to make it easier for all rapists to be caught

or you accept that

3. It doesn't matter if all rapists are not caught or not

I believe the answer is either 1 or 2, but you must believe the answer is 3?
Reply 168
Are you seriously comparing going to prison with being raped? Grow up!

No.

I'm simply stating that locking "potential rapists" up doesn't exactly embrace legal due process. Neither does locking "potential liars about being raped"

My point is pretty uncomplicated. I guess I'm old fashioned. I still think that people should actually commit a crime before they are punished for it. Weird or what!
Go to jail? no. But she should be punished. Maybe pay some fines and do community service?
If proven to
have maliciously fabricated a rape yes of course they should go to prison, wether a man or a woman.
A quick question to FM's that are saying she shouldn't go to prison.
If a man fabricated an accusation of sexual assault against a woman (rape not being an option) and as a result she loses her kids, family home , career and goes to prison only for it to be shown that he lied to hurt her, should he go to prison?
Original post by caravaggio2
A quick question to FM's that are saying she shouldn't go to prison.
If a man fabricated an accusation of sexual assault against a woman (rape not being an option) and as a result she loses her kids, family home , career and goes to prison only for it to be shown that he lied to hurt her, should he go to prison?

Arandomfemale, Einstein, any feminist?
(edited 8 years ago)
Honestly rape allegations can be so damaging, I would say yes. Not if the defendant failed to get convicted. I'm talking about people who actively went ahead, made false statements and so forth.

Just imagine some potential employer or client googling your name on the offchance and having news articles about you pop up about being tried for rape.

It wouldn't matter whether you were guilty or not, people would just be put off just by your association with the crime.
I think you are struggling with the logic so let me break it down.

Either you accept that,

1. All rapists will be caught

or you accept that

2. We should make it easier to imprison rapists to make it easier for all rapists to be caught

or you accept that

3. It doesn't matter if all rapists are not caught or not

I believe the answer is either 1 or 2, but you must believe the answer is 3?

I wouldn't say my opinion really fits any of them. I know some rapists will get away with it just as some men are wrongly convicted. Having said that I don't really think we should try and make it easier to convict in rape trials. Like it or not our legal system is based on the presumption of innocence and in cases of alleged rape it can be hard to prove guilt or innocence (which isn't required) as evidence can be hard to come by but that doesn't mean we should change that legal presumption. It does matter that some rapists don't get caught but realistically there isn't a way to try and convict more men without violating their right to a fair trial

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes. It's perverting the course of justice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Underscore__
I wouldn't say my opinion really fits any of them. I know some rapists will get away with it just as some men are wrongly convicted. Having said that I don't really think we should try and make it easier to convict in rape trials. Like it or not our legal system is based on the presumption of innocence and in cases of alleged rape it can be hard to prove guilt or innocence (which isn't required) as evidence can be hard to come by but that doesn't mean we should change that legal presumption. It does matter that some rapists don't get caught but realistically there isn't a way to try and convict more men without violating their right to a fair trial

Posted from TSR Mobile

Men accused of rape should be guilty until proven innocent.

Yes more innocent men will go to jail, but more rapists will go to jail too, and thus it is justified.

Yes more innocent men will go to jail, but more rapists will go to jail too, and thus it is justified.

But if the guy only rapes one woman and then someone else goes to prison in his place, then it would be very easy for the balance to swing the other way.

It should always be innocent until proven guilty, but all accusations should be fully investigated instead of it being a culture of instantly questioning the potential victim as if he or she were the perp!

Well luckily that won't happen.

So perhaps carpet bomb the Middle East? More innocent people will die but if we get isis surely it's justified by your logic?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by minimarshmallow
But if the guy only rapes one woman and then someone else goes to prison in his place, then it would be very easy for the balance to swing the other way.

It should always be innocent until proven guilty, but all accusations should be fully investigated instead of it being a culture of instantly questioning the potential victim as if he or she were the perp!

I should clarify I'm only referring to the cases where the victim accuses a person of rape, not cases where the identity rapist is unknown.

This should eliminate the problem of wrong people taking the place of the rapist.

Latest

Trending

Trending