The Student Room Group

Do you recycle?

Poll

Do you recycle?

Lots of discussion around at the moment about reducing waste and recycling thanks to Hugh Fernley-Whittingstalls new Waste Not campaign.

So I was wondering how does TSR fare on the recycling front.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Captain Jack
Lots of discussion around at the moment about reducing waste and recycling thanks to Hugh Fernley-Whittingstalls new Waste Not campaign.

No but I want to start trying to some day, one thing at a time though
Yes :yep:
Reply 3

I recycle as much as possible. The recycling bin is always full every week. My old council provided lots of reycling boxes/bags for all manner of things. Food waste was kept seperate to grass/soil, plastic bottles and cans also seperate. It was a good system but required a bit of effort. However, it meant that the black standard bin was always pretty much empty (it was taken every 2 weeks).

My current council doesn't provide this much of a service, it's one purple standard bin, and one reycling bin. Both bins are full for when they need to be collected.
I recycle what I can. We only have the green and brown bins. Nothing for food waste though.
Our council doesn't offer food recycling but we recycle everything else we can
I don't recycle. I put milk and other plastic bottles where all the other garbage goes.

The planet is dying and it's too late for any foolish 'recycling campaign' to swing the balance for we are on the precipice of extinction.
Nope. I have done in other places I've lived but my current accommodation only has general waste bins and skips. I don't own it and the estate agent has no plans to get in recycling bins. I refuse to put my recycling in my neighbours' bins and the nearest dumps are too far to be feasible.
Original post by OU Student
I recycle what I can. We only have the green and brown bins. Nothing for food waste though.

Original post by claireestelle
Our council doesn't offer food recycling but we recycle everything else we can

I'm really big into general recycling but I'm not so convinced about council food recycling. The problem seems to be more with waste of genuinely good products from producers, shops and restaurants. I could be wrong. I am planning on recycling much of my own food waste in a wormery for compost (outside), but I'm a gardening geek.
Up until recently, we couldn't throw out glass with our general recycling stuff. I know that some councils have a more complex system where you have more than one bin for different types. (glass, plastic, cardboard, etc) We just chuck everything into the one bin. Much easier.
I try to recycle what I can but I have moved around the UK a fair bit in recent years and every county has different rules with what can and can't be recycled. It's hugely frustrating and I am always being told off for putting non-recyclable items in the recycling -.- I really wish there was a recycling standard across the UK so everywhere did it the same.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm really big into general recycling but I'm not so convinced about council food recycling. The problem seems to be more with waste of genuinely good products from producers, shops and restaurants. I could be wrong. I am planning on recycling much of my own food waste in a wormery for compost (outside), but I'm a gardening geek.

Personally, i think council recycling food waste is pretty impractical to do considering how quick food would rot in whatever they used to collect it . So its much better to encourage people to decrease their food waste and maybe give people composting bins to use.
Original post by claireestelle
Personally, i think council recycling food waste is pretty impractical to do considering how quick food would rot in whatever they used to collect it . So its much better to encourage people to decrease their food waste and maybe give people composting bins to use.

Yes, I agree with you on that. Also, the little food recycle bins make streets look really messy, which won't benefit or encourage anyone.
Original post by Danny McCoyne
I don't recycle. I put milk and other plastic bottles where all the other garbage goes.

The planet is dying and it's too late for any foolish 'recycling campaign' to swing the balance for we are on the precipice of extinction.

yeah you're right it's so pointless!!! better make the planet die quicker!!!!!! :rolleyes:
I recycle as much as I possibly can - we have the green recycle bin and a composter for the garden waste. We also have food waste recycling.

Always recycle at university as well - the university have dedicated recycling bins - including for batteries. Most people would probably throw batteries in the ordinary bins at home?
Yes, I agree with you on that. Also, the little food recycle bins make streets look really messy, which won't benefit or encourage anyone.

My friend ran over one on a bike in the middle of the night and got injured, so they can be dangerous as well.
How much food do you really waste? What is it, a handful of carrot peelings and a load of tea-bags?

Recycling food waste isn't the answer. Stopping wasting food is the answer.
Original post by cole-slaw
How much food do you really waste? What is it, a handful of carrot peelings and a load of tea-bags?

You'd be surprised how much food people waste.

Biggest offenders are probbaly the super markets though.

Carrot peeling make great composs :yes:
Original post by cole-slaw

Recycling food waste isn't the answer. Stopping wasting food is the answer.

I was pretty shocked at just how much food waste there is. Think about all those mis-shaped carrots or parsnips with a slight blemish. They get dumped before they even hit the supermarket shelf. Then there is all the stuff that hits the shelves but doesn't sell.

The problem is we consumers. We have all seen the bruised leftovers at the bottom of the box that no one wants to buy. But at the same time, if the supermarkets sold class B veg at half the price of class A, I would buy it. We have been working through quite a bit of carrot fly damaged carrots from the garden of late. Nothing wrong with them once you cut off the infected part and free to eat!
Original post by ByEeek
I was pretty shocked at just how much food waste there is. Think about all those mis-shaped carrots or parsnips with a slight blemish. They get dumped before they even hit the supermarket shelf. Then there is all the stuff that hits the shelves but doesn't sell.

The problem is we consumers. We have all seen the bruised leftovers at the bottom of the box that no one wants to buy. But at the same time, if the supermarkets sold class B veg at half the price of class A, I would buy it. We have been working through quite a bit of carrot fly damaged carrots from the garden of late. Nothing wrong with them once you cut off the infected part and free to eat!

Its not the consumers fault that the producers/suppliers/retailers are too stupid/lazy to bother finding a way of selling us B grade produce. Send it to foodbanks or something.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending