The Student Room Group

Of Mice And Men-Loneliness *reps to good answers*

Any quotes for loneliness? *reps to good answers lol*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by noor.m
Any quotes for loneliness? *reps to good answers lol*

I did exactly this essay and got an A*
Just write about how Soledad is Spanish for Solitude and solitude means to be isolated or something top marks very good.
Reply 3
Original post by Awais_
I did exactly this essay and got an A*

okay well done, got any quotes though?¿ lmao
Reply 4
Original post by harinimnida
Just write about how Soledad is Spanish for Solitude and solitude means to be isolated or something top marks very good.

OH YEAH thanks man, should I write that in the introduction??
Reply 5
Lenny killed his mouse cus he stupid
Original post by noor.m
OH YEAH thanks man, should I write that in the introduction??

Yeaah man just say how that's one of the first things mentioned in the book which underpins the theme of loneliness within the book :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by Ekno

*Lennie u also stupid loool
Reply 8
Original post by noor.m
*Lennie u also stupid loool

fock, GCSE was 4 years ago for me lolololol
Crooks: "You got no right to come in my room. This here's my room. Nobody got any right in here but me."

He's isolated because of the colour of his skin.
Reply 10
Original post by Ekno

He wasn't stupid, he had learning difficulties.
Original post by AmeliaBaldwin
Crooks: "You got no right to come in my room. This here's my room. Nobody got any right in here but me."

He's isolated because of the colour of his skin.

thank youu
"This here's my room" " Nobody got any right in here but me."

"I ain't wanted in the bunkhouse and you ain't wanted in my room."

"If men go around on their own, they get mean"

"It's just bein with another guy"
- He's so desperate that he doesn't even need to talk, it's just being together with another person.

"Books ain't no good" - Don't provide companionship.

"he got nothing to measure by" - Having company helps to frame reality and without it, we are vulnerable.

For example, Lenny having George makes him safe as otherwise he'll probably end up in the "booby hatch". Steinbeck illustrates that it's not only to do with protection but mental sanity.

"Face lighted with pleasure in his torture"

^ showing the effect loneliness can have.

Then explain how Soledad means loneliness and how the game of cards they play (Solitaire) is a one man game. Also mention how the bunkhouse's description suggests it as being v prison-like. "Walls were whitewashed" "floor unpainted" "dust-laden bar" ( the latter, could imply that it's referencing prison bars) Showing how confined they are, prison is a lonely place etc, and how that represents the fact there's possibly no escape from all the isolation.

:h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
"To be, or not to be, that is the question."
Reply 14
"Well, we ain't got any," George exploded. "Whatever we ain't got, that's what you want. God a'mighty, if I was alone I could live so easy. I could go get a job an' work, an' no trouble. No mess at all, and when the end of the month come I could take my fifty bucks and go into town and get whatever I want. Why, I could stay in a cathouse all night. I could eat any place I want, hotel or any place, and order any damn thing I could think of. An' I could do all that every damn month. Get a gallon of whisky, or set in a pool room and play cards or shoot pool." Lennie knelt and looked over the fire at the angry George. And Lennie's face was drawn in with terror. "An' whatta I got," George went on furiously. "I got you! You can't keep a job and you lose me ever' job I get. Jus' keep me shovin' all over the country all the time." (1.89)
Reply 15
"If you don' want me I can g off in the hills an' find a cave. I can go away any time.""No—look! I was jus' foolin', Lennie. 'Cause I want you to stay with me." (1.103-104)
Reply 16
Slim looked through George and beyond him. "Ain't many guys travel around together," he mused. "I don't know why. Maybe ever'body in the whole damn world is scared of each other." (2.179)
Reply 17
"I seen the guys that go around on the ranches alone. That ain't no good. They don't have no fun. After a long time they get mean. They get wantin' to fight all the time." (3.17)
A few quotes you could have for Crooks:

"...few dirty books on a special shelf" - to handle the rejection and loneliness he absorbs himself in these fictional worlds
"proud, aloof man" I mean, that's pretty obvious - he keeps his distance from others. In order to avoid rejection he rejects others.
"It's just the talkin'. It's just being with another guy" everyone's lonely in the depression, and companionship is important
"I seen things out there. I wasn't drunk. I don't know if I was asleep." Perhaps he's hallucinating, and this is the depth of his loneliness and isolation

And Curley's wife:

"They left all the weak ones here" abandoned, lonely, rejected
"Well if that's all you want, I might get a couple rabbits myself" is she just teasing or is she lonely?
"I never get to talk to nobody. I get awful lonely"
"Don't you think of nothing but rabbits?" Fears she's not getting attention after being so isolated and ignored constantly

And a quote about Curley's wife by Whit:

"You'll see plenty" because lonely, isolated Curley finds that this is the only way she can get attention and company

There's loads more but I haven't got my annotated copy with me :frown:
Curleys wife: I never get to talk to nobody. I get awfully lonely
What's the matter with me? Ain't I got a right to talk to nobody?

Quick Reply

Latest