The Student Room Group

Are straight women in the West the most privileged group of people in history?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by XisNations
January Jones is stroooong trophy wfe material.

Srsly, if she was mine, would lock in her in the basement so she never leaves me

Would you kiss her bum?
Reply 81
Original post by stevennotyou
One of the issues with sexual assault is that men don't report it, due to the fact that people think it is funny for some reason and it makes him a beta male. In general prevalence however I would agree.

That is their personal feeling. As actually majority of the crimes are foreigners or those of non white ethnicity.

I don't think this is the case. Do you propose forcing employers to hire female workers? That's sexist towards women as they are just filling a quota. I work in a female dominated environment where females are preferred

Women say men are too aggressive and impulsive in the road. Null point, works both ways.

The gender pay gap is a myth. It has be debunked tonnes of times and I'm not prepared to accept this as an argument point.

Then your argument is that straight white men are more privileged if we ignore the areas where they aren't, that is biased and is what the media do

I know a lot of men don't report it but even if they did it's more often women. Like you said you agreed.
A 'personal feeling' because of things that happen to women everyday, more often then men, not many men feel like this because they don't have to worry about it as much.
I don't think 'forcing' a workplace to hire more women is needed but some employers will read to job applications and pick a man over a woman simply because it is a man. Thats what I meant.
I have never heard that saying about men ever, sorry.
The gender pay gap is not a myth, your brain washed. Like I said from seeing it, my sister worked as cook in a pub/ restaurant and she found out that her best friend who worked with her (male) earned almost double what she was earning even though she had worked there longer. Many other women have had experiences with this too but I have seen it.
I wasn't ignoring the areas when they weren't personally I just can't think of many other then the prison one that I mentioned?
Yes they are, and the only people arguing it will either be feminists, or white straight females themselves (maybe a few outliers but there always is :biggrin:)
Original post by lilylf
I know a lot of men don't report it but even if they did it's more often women. Like you said you agreed.
A 'personal feeling' because of things that happen to women everyday, more often then men, not many men feel like this because they don't have to worry about it as much.
I don't think 'forcing' a workplace to hire more women is needed but some employers will read to job applications and pick a man over a woman simply because it is a man. Thats what I meant.
I have never heard that saying about men ever, sorry.
The gender pay gap is not a myth, your brain washed. Like I said from seeing it, my sister worked as cook in a pub/ restaurant and she found out that her best friend who worked with her (male) earned almost double what she was earning even though she had worked there longer. Many other women have had experiences with this too but I have seen it.
I wasn't ignoring the areas when they weren't personally I just can't think of many other then the prison one that I mentioned?

I will reply tomorrow, too tired, PM me if I forget!
Reply 84
Original post by BlackSweetness
Oh be quiet!
There are good and bad people in this world, you cant tell a murderer not to be a murderer fgs.
Males get attacked at night as well, if i walked in an alleyway in the city and i got attacked the first thing my parents would say to me is why i was walking in an alleyway AT NIGHT! Life isnt a bed of roses where everyone is a nice person, youve got to look out for yourself.
If someone is that naïve then all the best for them i say :smile:

You commented on my reply to something, you 'be quiet'. There is no excuses for anyone to attack or sexually assault anyone at night, doesn't matter where they are, what they are wearing, etc. and you sounded like you were blaming the victim rather then the idiot who did the crime.
Original post by difeo
That's just women compared to men. I doubt you'd be able to find statistics that cover the whole scope of the thread but no one would deny that there's more discrimination against non-whites/non-heterosexuals than whites/heterosexuals.

I didn't mean to write an essay, but I've tried to mention points regarding your examples (I don't blame you if you skim or just give up halfway through):

In that case, I reckon they are maybe benefiting from an overshooting attempt at balancing things out. I see male students in my school feeling they have no place being educated as they now see 'special consideration' for women, such as extra uni places or requests for minimum numbers to be employed in certain roles. I do however find that this is well intended as we do need to be on level ground, just not by making progress at each others detriment.

Things such as murder, assault etc are an issue, of course we have to accept that men are at the very least perceived to be more of a threat, hence gang culture - people are still killed for stepping into the wrong territory (because secetly they are worried if they don't get you, you'l get them). Society as a whole needs to acknowledge that not all women are weak and in need of protection, and that by assuming men have their own backs, we leave them exposed to these dangers.

Overall, men's mental health is taken far too lightly, especially with ideals on masculinity, it has been proven that men are more prone to commit suicide etc, and it is a shame that they have been taught to hide emotions and weaknesses that need to be addressed.

Women tend to be favoured when they are mothers, hence potentially avoiding punishments, and as a result of gender stereotyping, play to the idea that their crimes are a result of an emotional outburst - if a woman killed her partner for cheating, lawyers often suggest she was upset and not thinking straight, whilst a man would be considered dangerous and aggressive. For this reason, women may also be protected from homelessness - we are viewed as more vulnerable.

White women may seem to come out on top due to us hearing more about the actions being taken to bring about their equity, but also because they will always be the safe bet for representing the marginalised, supposedly their only struggle is their being female - vs a non white lgbtq+ woman of a minority religion etc. because the media need to keep it relatable - if there are 20 factors for oppression vs just one key difference....

it is of course all relative and so we cannot make sweeping generalisations - white straight women will be perceived to have better lives by those who value those aspects they have. I will always see them as fortunate enough to not be constrained by the colour of their skin, however, I can see instances where they too would be, and I would benefit. Its a thing you hear a lot in anti feminists - ''women get all the help and we don't'', but everyone needs something the others have, and maybe we can't find equity, we just have to support each other and share our strengths.
(edited 8 years ago)
I genuinely think it just comes down to women being more 'out-loud' with their thoughts. Like if a room is too hot, I'm sure a women would be more likely to mention it to get it fixed than a man. Women just tend to moan more, just like men have lots of negative attributes too.

Therefore, when it comes to inequality, men are misrepresented proportionally. There are definitely disadvantages, and therefore advantages, to each sex/ gender whatever you decide to call it, but women moan about them more. Also I've found myself doing it before - I tend to agree with an attractive female on just about anything. No idea why, but just do. I think this also must be considered. THere are such deviations in everyone's beliefs that we, as humans, tend to cling onto things we all agree with. So when we see a fact, we want to believe it, if it fits with our other facts, and most importantly - fits with our opinions. I saw a report a few months ago proving that proportional to how many men and women their are, domestic violence is pretty much 50:50 to men-on-women against women-on-men. Of course certain people would refuse to accept it, but I just remember it. Also all that crap about "women earn 77p for every £1 a man makes" ignored 1) how many hours they work, 2) what jobs they work in, 3) what their qualifications are and even 4) their experience. It's all about manipulated info to "prove" an agenda in this world, and it's been happening forever, all that's happened is the main focus has shifted. I just think the differences between each gender is massively over-emphasised and turned into an argument for the sake of it too sometimes.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by lilylf
You commented on my reply to something, you 'be quiet'. There is no excuses for anyone to attack or sexually assault anyone at night, doesn't matter where they are, what they are wearing, etc. and you sounded like you were blaming the victim rather then the idiot who did the crime.

1) He did in no way blame a victim
2) You seem to be very good at avoiding a point when you know you're wrong.

Women are not "attacked" significantly more than men, it's a statistical fact when everything is taken into consideration. Why don't we focus on why PEOPLE attack other PEOPLE, and not talk about gender - at all. That's what everyone gets annoyed with - women aren't victims to anything more than men are, same as caterpillars aren't unequal to elephants, despite their lives being completely different.
Original post by holmes221
Would you kiss her bum?

m8, even if I just wrote the things I would like to do to her I would probably be arrested for gross indecency :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lilylf

Here we go again!
There are bad people in this world, there arent going to be bad people just because you say so. You should always be cautious, im in no way saying its her fault but walking in an alleyway in the dead of night by yourself seems completely illogical. she 100% could have prevented being assualted, just like how a man walking at night and going through a bad neighbourhood at night instead of taking the long way home in a better neighbourhood could make himself safer.
Common sense is needed with people these days
Original post by ComputerMaths97
1) He did in no way blame a victim
2) You seem to be very good at avoiding a point when you know you're wrong.

Women are not "attacked" significantly more than men, it's a statistical fact when everything is taken into consideration. Why don't we focus on why PEOPLE attack other PEOPLE, and not talk about gender - at all. That's what everyone gets annoyed with - women aren't victims to anything more than men are, same as caterpillars aren't unequal to elephants, despite their lives being completely different.

Thank you, all feminists seems to say the same thing, as if men choose to be rapists, when most men are good people, and would never hurt a women. Instead of them being more cautious they blame all men for their lack of common sense
I want every women to know that I'd love to never have to study or work again, and just settle down with someone attractive that supports us both. Oh but no, when women get that oppertunity apparently we're not letting them do a STEM degree......
Thank you, all feminists seems to say the same thing, as if men choose to be rapists, when most men are good people, and would never hurt a women. Instead of them being more cautious they blame all men for their lack of common sense

I agree, but try to not generalise all feminists, a few of the older ones are actually pretty useful to society. It's just the kids that are ruining it.

I think as men, we get annoyed when we see a feminist post about "teach men not to rape" when literally 1 in a million men has even considered raping someone in their lives. This provokes us, we attack feminists, they reply with facts of a few reports of rape, and bam, suddenly they have attention, and facts to back up their extremist views. Then "sexist air conditioning" becomes the title of a newspaper, their sales go through the roof of people mocking it, and feminists buying it just because, so they continue to do it. Like it always has been in life - if you try to educate extremists, you only end up giving them the attention they wanted.
Original post by ComputerMaths97
I agree, but try to not generalise all feminists, a few of the older ones are actually pretty useful to society. It's just the kids that are ruining it.

I think as men, we get annoyed when we see a feminist post about "teach men not to rape" when literally 1 in a million men has even considered raping someone in their lives. This provokes us, we attack feminists, they reply with facts of a few reports of rape, and bam, suddenly they have attention, and facts to back up their extremist views. Then "sexist air conditioning" becomes the title of a newspaper, their sales go through the roof of people mocking it, and feminists buying it just because, so they continue to do it. Like it always has been in life - if you try to educate extremists, you only end up giving them the attention they wanted.

The last part made me laugh. I guess i understand, i do have respect for olden day feminists who actually fought for something, unlike the spoilt priveledged we have today who feel they need to whine about everything
The last part made me laugh. I guess i understand, i do have respect for olden day feminists who actually fought for something, unlike the spoilt priveledged we have today who feel they need to whine about everything

Agreed! But the respect we have for the olden day ones means the younger ones think anything they say, under the name of feminist, will be equally factual, respected and listening to. When the fact of the matter is - If you raise a good point, people will listen. Nobody cares who raised the point. - Feminists these days think it's the other way around.
Reply 95
Original post by Zayn Malik
Lol at providing an article on surgery as proof women are discriminated against when:

A) it's an extremely specific job sector
B) it's a job which requires heavy working hours; surgeons can go 48 hours plus in theatre and hospitals
C) it requires manual dexterity, which on the whole men are more adept at
D) it requires a mental toughness that on the whole, men have more than women

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can I have some evidence for the last two points?
Original post by Smushy
Can I have some evidence for the last two points?

C) Far more men in jobs requiring manual dexterity. Go and look in your Yellow Pages for proof.

D) My gf gets upset when she breaks a nail. Women are pansies.
Reply 97
Original post by XisNations
C) Far more men in jobs requiring manual dexterity. Go and look in your Yellow Pages for proof.

D) My gf gets upset when she breaks a nail. Women are pansies.

So, point C is meant to explain why it is natural that most surgeons are men: men have more manual dexterity. Then, when I ask for evidence to this effect you say there are more men in jobs that require manual dexterity. Not very convincing.

As for point D, I am surprised you think your girlfriend being sensitive about broken nails means all women are overtly sensitive about everything.
Reply 98
Original post by Zayn Malik
Lol at providing an article on surgery as proof women are discriminated against when:

A) it's an extremely specific job sector
B) it's a job which requires heavy working hours; surgeons can go 48 hours plus in theatre and hospitals
C) it requires manual dexterity, which on the whole men are more adept at
D) it requires a mental toughness that on the whole, men have more than women

Posted from TSR Mobile

So sexist. Women can do MANY jobs men can do.
You must be a troll if you think women are less adapted than men at this. Also, I only included FEW examples, like gas&oil businesses which you forgot to mention. Get your life together, dude.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 99
So many boys who just need a hug

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending